LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
While we're on the issue of batteries, I've got to buy some rechargeable AA & AAAs for the little one's toys. They will work in the Nitecore charger, but does anyone have an opinion on which batteries are good and which ones are bad?
I've got a bunch of AA and AAA rechargeables in the Varta brand. They were intended for kids toys and the TV remote but Mr Canary stole a bunch for his synths. I haven't had to do much recharging, so I guess they work pretty well.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I've used varta, they are about as good as most of the others; chevron, active energy, phillips, duracell, etc etc. They are all pretty crap. Short run times, rapid degradation because most devices don't have the electrodoohickery to prevent over-discharging. I have found eneloop to have the best battery chemistry to handle this.

@johnny try not to expect too much out of aa or aaa rechargeables. Pull them out and recharge well before they are dead flat, and you will see pretty good longevity.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Turns out these aren't complete shit. Picked one up for 20% off or something and saved my butt after the ayups went flat mid ride (another fuckwit confession as I didn't charge them for a year or something).

Figured it would do for commuting but actually makes a pretty decent bar mounted light for occasional MTB night riders like myself. I'd love to do more night riding but Tasmania.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Just picked up a Magic Shine MJ-902S with the MJ-6116C 7AH battery. Rode for a couple of hours and had the light on full for most of that (or what I thought was full) and it's reading over half full on the battery. I need to check what output I'm running the light on but it was nice and bright with this and a 1600 lumen helmet light.

Didn't get it from Magic Shine directly but did get some customer support with the purchase and it was exceptional.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just picked up a Magic Shine MJ-906S
Awesome lights for the price.

I have the MJ906 and I get 2 hours at full blast.

If you work out run times, keep an eye on time as they turn off from 100% to blackness without warning when the battery runs out :D

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Awesome lights for the price.

I have the MJ906 and I get 2 hours at full blast.

If you work out run times, keep an eye on time as they turn off from 100% to blackness without warning when the battery runs out :D
Just updated my post, I got MJ902S (3000 lumen version). It seems that this one (black with no orange) has an indicator for battery level with the button turning from green to red when it gets to half way, might flash when below 25% will find out tomorrow. Really like the set up the battery mounts to the bike well and has its own indicator and can be used as a power bank.

ozzybmx

Just updated my post, I got MJ902S (3000 lumen version). It seems that this one (black with no orange) has an indicator for battery level with the button turning from green to red when it gets to half way, might flash when below 25% will find out tomorrow.
Yes I seen that you had the newer (S) version. Good to hear they have an indicator, its the only gripe I have about mine. We also have 3 x MJ900 sets as well.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yes I seen that you had the newer (S) version. Good to hear they have an indicator, its the only gripe I have about mine. We also have 3 x MJ900 sets as well.
I was going to get the MJ900 which were only $65 but ended up spending a bit more for the 902S as I wanted the extra lumens but also significantly increased battery size.

ozzybmx

I was going to get the MJ900 which were only $65 but ended up spending a bit more for the 902S as I wanted the extra lumens but also significantly increased battery size.
I use a MJ900 on my 'night riding' helmet now, the smaller battery lasts about 2 hours on full power, so is usually plenty for a ride.

The older lights are a strange shape, nothing stealthy about them.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Hi All

Looking at some decent lights to try and get out on my bike along some of the paths near me of an evening to get some exercise.
I'm looking for a front light without a battery pack at the minute and a basic rear light. Anyone any recommendation

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Hi All

Looking at some decent lights to try and get out on my bike along some of the paths near me of an evening to get some exercise.
I'm looking for a front light without a battery pack at the minute and a basic rear light. Anyone any recommendation
If you are looking for cheap (but actually quite good) this is what I'm using for night rides at the You Yangs on the "blue" and "black" trails.

ozzybmx

Rear that will last for years.

Exposure TracerR

And get the saddle rail mount, gets it right up under the saddle away from interfering with a dropper post and looks nice and neat.

I reckon my TraceR is 8yrs old and I have just replaced the battery with the battery from a Trace (front equivalent), I used these lights on every road ride, every commute and MTB nightride for years.

You get 6 hours on high pulse when they are new, I was down to about 2 hours on high after 8 years. Only replaced the battery a month ago so hope to get another few years.

I might be able to afford Exposure front lights now that my kids have stopped riding :p previously tried to keep all our lights interchangeable as it was easier to load someone up with batteries and light power so went for middle range stuff.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have ordered new Knog headlight [BTW they are up to 40% off until midnight today ] but wondered why batteries Lithium or NiMH that havent been used for 2 -3 months or so , need to be put on a charger which in a few minutes will say fully charged but then I switch it off and on again and it charges a lot more.
Is this because the charger is not sophisticated enough or the battery just takes time to get fully charged ?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Rear that will last for years.

Exposure TracerR

And get the saddle rail mount, gets it right up under the saddle away from interfering with a dropper post and looks nice and neat.

I reckon my TraceR is 8yrs old and I have just replaced the battery with the battery from a Trace (front equivalent), I used these lights on every road ride, every commute and MTB nightride for years.

You get 6 hours on high pulse when they are new, I was down to about 2 hours on high after 8 years. Only replaced the battery a month ago so hope to get another few years.

I might be able to afford Exposure front lights now that my kids have stopped riding :p previously tried to keep all our lights interchangeable as it was easier to load someone up with batteries and light power so went for middle range stuff.
hey Ozzy, didn't really notice at the time, but aren't rear lights usually red? seems a bit counter intuitive to have a white rear light, IMO.

ozzybmx

hey Ozzy, didn't really notice at the time, but aren't rear lights usually red? seems a bit counter intuitive to have a white rear light, IMO.
As shiny says... was a PITA too.

If the rear was as simple as a lens change, I would have used the front as a rear rather than re-soldering a new battery in.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Getting darker now so thread bump.

I have a set of gemini lights (800 and 1100 lumen) and the 2 cell battery pack has lost a fair bit of it's capacity. I can no longer make the 1 hour commute on full power for the 800 lumen unit.

I would have thought these things would have dropped a fair bit in price but alas no dice. Still looking at $100+ for a battery pack. Cheapest I can find is glowworm packs which are apparently the same connector but they are sold out on MTB direct. Found another for $120 plus post, I'm thinking it might be better to just get a new unit all together. My cateye 800 seems to have outlasted both battery packs and still going strong, I could be swayed to just get a 4 cell pack.

Anyone got a suggestion? Happy to gamble aliexpress or otherwise, but my previous attempts have bee abysmal and I have a 6 cell pack that barely lasted an hour new I bought ages ago.