LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
For those running Cleanskin Duos on your helmet, where are you putting the battery back? Looks too heavy to run on the helmet and whilst the strap just fits over my bicep, it kind of feels annoying on my arm. Are you checking them in a backpack or something?

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
For those running Cleanskin Duos on your helmet, where are you putting the battery back? Looks too heavy to run on the helmet and whilst the strap just fits over my bicep, it kind of feels annoying on my arm. Are you checking them in a backpack or something?
I have a old single beam headlight from cleanskin and I put the battery in my backpack, I think the cord is about the same length

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have the same question. Recently purchased CS Duos for bars & helmet. Bars/frame is easy, helmet i'm not sure on though. Sounds like backpack or hip-pack is the best bet?

Also - any ideas on modifying beam patterns? Finding the Cleanskin Duo on the bars to have a more narrow & centered sweep than i'd like, but not sure if and how it could be changed.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I ended up putting the battery in the top pocket of my CamelBak. Never noticed it, although comments on here about objects in backpacks causing injury was in the back of my mind.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Has anyone tried these lights?

I've got a solarstorm from eBay on the way for my helmet, but kind of like the look of this for the front.

View attachment 364526

Did you ever get this? If you did how did it go I'm having a look at one at the moment.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Set up is complete

And OMFG I'm in love. XSV set to fully wide at half power, Alpha set to spot, on low. Beautiful even spread of light from the bars, the spot from the Alpha sits right at the far end of the XSV light patch for fast straights, and it's the perfect amount of light for where I ride. With both set to full it's too bright for the slow, technical stuff.

FULL POWAH!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Set up is complete
View attachment 365465

And OMFG I'm in love. XSV set to fully wide at half power, Alpha set to spot, on low. Beautiful even spread of light from the bars, the spot from the Alpha sits right at the far end of the XSV light patch for fast straights, and it's the perfect amount of light for where I ride. With both set to full it's too bright for the slow, technical stuff.

FULL POWAH!
View attachment 365466
Do you have RSI from constantly playing with the wireless switch yet?

moorey

call me Mia
Set up is complete
View attachment 365465

FULL POWAH!
View attachment 365466
I need these for the hilux.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Set up is complete
View attachment 365465

FULL POWAH!
View attachment 365466
14th Street?

marks

Likes Bikes
Does anyone feed back on how long their battery packs for the cleanskin duos are lasting?
Mine lasted 3 years approx. and tossing up whether to find something different or bite the bullet and purchase a new battery pack / complete new light.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Does anyone feed back on how long their battery packs for the cleanskin duos are lasting?
Mine lasted 3 years approx. and tossing up whether to find something different or bite the bullet and purchase a new battery pack / complete new light.
Or open it up, see what cells they use, and get in touch with ss600 on ebay. He will sort you out with tested, matched cells.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ yep. Most lights have generic 18650s which are rubbish and provide low output and poor run times.
Good quality cells make a world of difference, I've been harvesting them out of dead power tool batteries for a while now with reasonable success.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
After 2ish years I replaced mine with these batteries as I noticed the runtime getting shorter, 6 cell waterproof units. Though I only paid $12 each for them.

Just bought my boys new 'chi' lights and have 3 of these batteries on the way.

Batteries - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002085171941.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.363a4c4dL1Mdbh

Lights - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001624886392.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.363a4c4dL1Mdbh

Will see how they perform and maybe replace my Cleanskin Duo with one.

They were ordered 5 weeks ago so should here here soon.