LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Missed the thread, but what batteries are those? Any good? I have a set of each (2 cell and 4 cell) gemini branded and they are good buta few years old and charge is a bit diminished. Not keen to pay $12/$180 for a new battery when the 18650 top of the line stuff is about half of that. But I haven't found a decent hard case yet either.

Not keen on Chinese batteries. Had a few and they went to crap really fast.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Missed the thread, but what batteries are those? Any good? I have a set of each (2 cell and 4 cell) gemini branded and they are good buta few years old and charge is a bit diminished. Not keen to pay $12/$180 for a new battery when the 18650 top of the line stuff is about half of that. But I haven't found a decent hard case yet either.

They're Gloworm batteries, came in a set with the light units, and yes they're good, but cost about what you just said you didn't want to pay.......

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They don't last long, just as well they are cheap :D

I don't know what kind of batteries AyUp put in their packs but my 2008 AyUps set still works beautifully. It came with 2 x 3 hour batteries and 1 x 6 hour battery, I upgraded the optics in 2013ish and the battery runtime obviously came down with more lumens but it hasnt really changed since then.
I still use the pencil beam AyUp on my helmet for every night ride and commute since 2008.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I don't know what kind of batteries AyUp put in their packs but my 2008 AyUps set still works beautifully. It came with 2 x 3 hour batteries and 1 x 6 hour battery, I upgraded the optics in 2013ish and the battery runtime obviously came down with more lumens but it hasnt really changed since then.
I still use the pencil beam AyUp on my helmet for every night ride and commute since 2008.
I have a set of AyUps and still use the pencil beam ones on my helmet. Pity they seemed to have stopped with any development quite a while back.

ozzybmx

Pity they seemed to have stopped with any development quite a while back.
Yes, a strange company. Sponsored events and updated optics 'slowly' but seems to have just frozen since about 2014 though the website reckons they are getting better all the time. Todays mentioned 700 lumens was were they were in 2013 when I updated both lights.

Some facts about Ay Up Lighting Systems;

In the last 14 years we have supplied our lighting systems to 95,000+ customers in 30+ countries, assembled over 140,000 lights with over 200,000 batteries. Every light and battery is assembled in Australia by the Ay Up Team.

Ay Up Lights ... getting better all the time!
The pencil beam is ok for a helmet light, just on the limit of enough but the spread is nowhere near enough to ride on trails, it may be alright for commuting but I usually have some Chi light that gives a good blast of light... they are cheap and do the job.
I have threatened to get myself a Maxx D/Six pack and a joystick for a few years now but just never needed that extra range, though if my head AyUp failed I may look a bit closer.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm the same, still have the original set in the mini Pelican style case from around that time and they keep on trucking. Like you I got some upgraded optics, but it's frustrating they haven't pumped up the lumens or worked on the lenses, as I still think they are the best overall design for their low profile, adjustable mounts and frankly indestructible units. Just need a bit more oomph.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Just buy the clean skin batteries of MTB Direct? Same plug as the Chinese ones

DMan

Decent life?
My mate is running one and it's going well. Shame they aren't bigger capacity but at least you know you are getting a true 4400maH battery for $38 as opposed to a claimed 10,000mAh 8.4V which will be a 1/4 of that.
All my lights though now are 3.7V as opposed to 8.4V. That way I can get much bigger capacity batteries for the same size.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yes, a strange company. Sponsored events and updated optics 'slowly' but seems to have just frozen since about 2014 though the website reckons they are getting better all the time. Todays mentioned 700 lumens was were they were in 2013 when I updated both lights.

The pencil beam is ok for a helmet light, just on the limit of enough but the spread is nowhere near enough to ride on trails, it may be alright for commuting but I usually have some Chi light that gives a good blast of light... they are cheap and do the job.
I have threatened to get myself a Maxx D/Six pack and a joystick for a few years now but just never needed that extra range, though if my head AyUp failed I may look a bit closer.
I have a Exposure Toro for the bars and it blasts the AyUps out of the water. It wasn't cheap but it's hassle free being all one unit. I do like the AyUps as a helmet lamp, as said before, they have a low profile, simple but effective mount and the battery attaches to your helmet too.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I've had the solarstorm style lights for a couple of years commuting. But they're gathering dust now. Would not buy again, but would consider running my old ones off some spare lipos or some proper 18650s in a holder.

Last year bought a Giant Recon 1500 on sale for $99. It's been great. Bit too heavy for helmet, but bar light is great. Looong battery life compared to the solarstorm ebay cheapies.

Best deal by far was an Olight RN800 in the Cyber sales last year for about $50 (usually $80?). Using this as a helmet light, but could easily use as a small single light for commuting/road. This I would buy again at full price in a heartbeat. Or buy the higher lumen RN1500 one for a bar mount light. Should have bought 3 of them at $50. USB C charging, runs 8 hours at 200 lumens (low) which is enough for most rides. Can bump it up to 400 or 800 for shorter bursts, or with lower runtimes.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Random Q - Are the cleanskins okay for Bike path - gravel country roads ?
Is dark in the sticks .....and the boogie man might touch me .

i hope .
wish

ozzybmx

Random Q - Are the cleanskins okay for Bike path - gravel country roads ?
Is dark in the sticks .....and the boogie man might touch me .
i hope .
wish
I currently use a bar mounted Cleanskin Duo as my bar light for all rides including MTB rides.
The 2 batteries, I ordered an extra from MTB direct, started to lose runtime at about 2 years so I bought Chi waterproof 6 cell batteries.
These are still good and last over 3 hours on full power, though they may be starting to diminish a bit now.

Cardy George

Ask and you shall receive...... 2011, though I'm pretty sure they've stuck with Li-Po the whole way through.

As a result of absent minded dumb-fuckery I killed my light bar. Then in tinkering to re-purpose the battery, I killed it too. So I cracked it open to have a look.

I totally agree, it's a much better package, just a shame they've not progressed. My Gloworms on medium punch out the same lumens for four times as long

Attachments

ozzybmx

Ask and you shall receive...... 2011, though I'm pretty sure they've stuck with Li-Po the whole way through.
Definitely the way to go. I have 2 Exposure rear lights, Blaze and TraceR, they are getting shorter run time recently, was thinking I could replace the batteries but as pointed out a few posts back, the Chi Li-Ion rechargeable batteries are shitty cells.

dirtdad

Shouldn't be too difficult to replace the prismatic cells in those ayups with some more recent higher capacity ones. (Add the usual 'if you have to ask then you don't know what you're doing' warning to this).

I have run my solarstorm off a 2s lipo (rc cars) temporarily. But always wanted to have better low volt indicator / protection so never made it into a regular thing. Never did find a good off the shelf solution for that.

Also bought a 4 cell 7.4v holder, so I could run some high capacity 18650s (3400mah) and just have backup cells for quick changes, but the springs would bounce the cells out of contact intermittently and the ss lights just turn off immediately following loss of power. Not great to happen mid trail.

In the end, I feel like current Gloworm level lights are pretty well priced for their spec. Easy to find the components cheaper, but putting them together and getting the UI, by remotes, and safety circuits etc. all set up is where the secret sauce is at. Probably really nice as 24h race setups and what I would buy if I was doing those. Exposure seem a bit over priced (and integrated cells make it less appealing to me when paying that much), but some people like them. Magicshine could be another option. The higher end Lezyne lights seem pretty good. Light and Motion are exxy but look to be decent specced too. A few others out there if you research.

My money stays with the decent bargain lights I posted above though. Olight do good stuff (no affiliation etc). That giant was just a runout sale light, but great for the price.

DMan

Shouldn't be too difficult to replace the prismatic cells in those ayups with some more recent higher capacity ones. (Add the usual 'if you have to ask then you don't know what you're doing' warning to this).

I have run my solarstorm off a 2s lipo (rc cars) temporarily. But always wanted to have better low volt indicator / protection so never made it into a regular thing. Never did find a good off the shelf solution for that.

Also bought a 4 cell 7.4v holder, so I could run some high capacity 18650s (3400mah) and just have backup cells for quick changes, but the springs would bounce the cells out of contact intermittently and the ss lights just turn off immediately following loss of power. Not great to happen mid trail.

In the end, I feel like current Gloworm level lights are pretty well priced for their spec. Easy to find the components cheaper, but putting them together and getting the UI, by remotes, and safety circuits etc. all set up is where the secret sauce is at. Probably really nice as 24h race setups and what I would buy if I was doing those. Exposure seem a bit over priced (and integrated cells make it less appealing to me when paying that much), but some people like them. Magicshine could be another option. The higher end Lezyne lights seem pretty good. Light and Motion are exxy but look to be decent specced too. A few others out there if you research.

My money stays with the decent bargain lights I posted above though. Olight do good stuff (no affiliation etc). That giant was just a runout sale light, but great for the price.
I run the high end Lezyne. Good value for money I feel. I have 2X 1500i units with exrta lezyne battery packs. I like that I can run the extra battery which gives me 3hrs on full. But I REALLY like the Enduro mode which, with 1 touch, toggles between 700 lumen and 1500 lumen. I have had 2 battery packs made for them too for my wife and her 24hr race fetishes so between the main light and extra pack she can get 6hrs on full. I'd like to get the 1800i though so I could run the extra pack but also a bar remote which you can't on the 1500i.
If I was doing it again though I'd probably go Gloworm

Cardy George

I don't know enough about the electronic side, but I do know they're sealed up tighter than the proverbial fishes tail end. If you can get them apart without destroying them it should be relatively straightforward.

My first Gloworm set is three years old now and are bombproof. And now there's local support to back them up.

dirtdad

Has anyone used these battery cases? Thinking better quality battery's in 1 of these cases to replace my cleanskin duo light battery pack.
Thats exactly what I bought and mentioned above.
If you can figure out how to make it not bounce the cells off the springs and lose contact let me know.