Light up your bike carriers!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Over the last year or so we've been hearing more and more examples of riders being pinged for not having their number plates or lights clearly visible on their bike racks. We've also been getting asked just about every day if we have, or can recommend, a good light bar for the back of carriers.

Well now we do... and we can!

Collage 1.jpg

The new GripSport "Rack Light" is small, lightweight and tough, made from aluminium and with only ONE lamp incorporating stop light, tail light and both indicators all in one.

The lamp itself is a full LED (meaning it's waterproof and vibration proof for years of hassle-free motoring), and mounted using high-quality, self-locking nuts so you never have to worry about things vibrating loose. We supply those same self-locking nuts and bolts to attach your number plate.

The "Rack Light" comes fully wired up and ready to go. It fits straight on to all our Hi-Ride carriers and can attach to other brands either by bolting it or using the Velcro straps that come with it.

So get legal and stay legal... it's easy with a GripSport Rack Light

Last edited:

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Are there no requirements in Vic for distance between stop/tailights? In QLD I beleive that would be illegal. Minimum spacing between stop/tail lamps on a vehicle that is wider than 1300mm is 600mm and the indicator must be on the outside of the stop/tail. Its better than nothing but im not sure it is a "legal" fix. It also has no number plate light or reflector.

Here is my set up. Im using a similar tailight with a cheap LED number plate light and a couple of reflectors. It is all a perminant fixture though. I beleive its legal.

IMG_0012.jpg

In saying that though I think im possibly exceding the legal overhang of the vehicle. Has this ever been a concern for you with your double DH carriers?

Grip

Thanks for the interest, Robbo. Laws around actual lighting on bike carriers are “fuzzy” to say the least.

But in general...The law states that you’re not allowed to obscure your number plate. The Light Rack solves that.

The law states that if you drive at night the number plate must be illuminated. The Rack Light does actually do that.

The law doesn’t state you have to have reflectors. But the lens of the Rack Light is also a reflector... plus the whole thing lights up so a reflector is totally redundant.

The law doesn’t state that carrier lighting has to include indicators. But the Rack Light does.

The law doesn’t state that carrier lighting has to be ADR compliant. The Rack Light is an auxiliary lightset... not the main lights of a vehicle (which are still quite clearly visible through spoked wheels) and therefore it doesn’t have to be ADR compliant and have that spacing between indicators.

Cheers

scblack

Leucocholic
Grip, how does this light set fit to a DH carrier? You have it fitted to a Hi-Ride carrier and seems to hang low from its anchor point. If it hangs so low on a DH carrier, the bottom of it will scrape easily. Can it fit to a DH carrier and not be too low?

Grip

Grip, how does this light set fit to a DH carrier? You have it fitted to a Hi-Ride carrier and seems to hang low from its anchor point. If it hangs so low on a DH carrier, the bottom of it will scrape easily. Can it fit to a DH carrier and not be too low?
G'day SC.

You're absolutely right, you wouldn't want to hang the rack light under the D/H carriers. We're looking at modifying the D/H carriers so they have a mounting spot for the lightset somewhere... but for people wanting to retro-fit to their existing carrier, the easiest option is to simply drill and mount it as per this brilliant artist's rendition :D

Light on Downhill 1.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
G'day SC.

You're absolutely right, you wouldn't want to hang the rack light under the D/H carriers. We're looking at modifying the D/H carriers so they have a mounting spot for the lightset somewhere... but for people wanting to retro-fit to their existing carrier, the easiest option is to simply drill and mount it as per this brilliant artist's rendition :D
Easy job, thanks Grip.:)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is what I did with my Grip rack. Very old pic none of those bikes exist at my place anymore! The bikes aren't tied down because I took this pic for a mate who was after a bike rack for his 4wd.

Changed the trailer to LEDs and put the old trailer lights on the rack. I use the rack behind the Prado and a Rodeo so the Prado accessory plate is pop rivetted to the rack and the Rodeo plate screws on top of that when I need it. The lights are on a bit of Z purlin that is screwed to the rack, gives some protection to the lights and number plate.

Still the best bike rack I have ever had by a long margin. Good work GRIP!