Life and TPD insurance

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Can't believe this is so hard to find.
wait till you try to claim.

another, albeit longterm option, is to self insure. The premium on a 1.5-2M policy is quite hefty. You can use these funds to invest and reinvest any earnings. Its not ideal in the short term, but long-term, especially if you never disable/kill yourself, its a waaay better outcome.,

The benefit of this approach is it actually builds an asset base that you can call on for other purposes too rather than having nothing in the end if you remain healthy and in one piece. The downside is, if you break your neck a couple weeks after starting this, it wont be enough. Just a thought.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Going to keep bumping this thread as think it’s useful for everyone to

A) check their insurance

B) help me and others find TPD and IP cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigaus

Squid
Going to keep bumping this thread as think it’s useful for everyone to

A) check their insurance

B) help me and others find TPD and IP cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ever have any luck on this? I've just been around the same merry-go-round with a policy underwritten by TAL and excluding IP and TPD for MTBing.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Nope - i must have contacted a couple major providers (the usuals) plus a couple smaller boutique and the second you mention mountain biking they list it as an exclusion.

So finding death cover is possible but not TPD and Income Protection which are really key.

I wrote Aus Cycling asking them and got a nothing response other than to renew my MTBA license which essentially covers you for sweet FA.

The search continues I really encourage people who think they have coverage to go read the T&Cs of their policy.

This all came about as not have a 20 month old and I ride 2-3 times a week and accidents happen regularly. At the moment I'm just running the risk or I'll need a mate to drag me out to the street and leave me on the bitumen to be found.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have IP, Death and TPD cover even after disclosing mountain biking.

There was an earlier exclusion for mountain biking when I was racing frequently, but I was able to get this removed after declaring that I hadn't entered in a race in the prior 12 months. I have however disclosed that I might want to enter the occasional race no more than 2-3 a year, and ride socially all year round.

The most important thing is go through a full assessment via a financial advisor. The whole process takes many forms, several interviews, may or may not require a medical assessment depending on your circumstances. However you will get a tailored policy that is actually worth paying for.

Off the shelf products will be filled with broad T&C that could lexclude you from cover for the things you want.

Bigaus

Squid
@northvanguy your circumstances sounds exactly the same as where I find myself (even have been through the same provider, TAL). And also looked at AusCycling to fill the gap, but the coverage amounts are fairly small, as you've mentioned.

@teK-- who is the underwriter of your policy? I do have a financial advisor who is looking into this for me. In a perfect world I'd be hands off and he'd find the right policy. But trying to do a bit leg work myself as the advisor is definitely struggling with the finer details of MTBing description in policies. The TAL policy even starts referencing IMBA trail ratings..... and I don't expect my financial advisor to be able to make sense of that, so hoping that be able to point him to some providers who cover MTB.

teK--

Eats Squid
@northvanguy your circumstances sounds exactly the same as where I find myself (even have been through the same provider, TAL). And also looked at AusCycling to fill the gap, but the coverage amounts are fairly small, as you've mentioned.

@teK-- who is the underwriter of your policy? I do have a financial advisor who is looking into this for me. In a perfect world I'd be hands off and he'd find the right policy. But trying to do a bit leg work myself as the advisor is definitely struggling with the finer details of MTBing description in policies. The TAL policy even starts referencing IMBA trail ratings..... and I don't expect my financial advisor to be able to make sense of that, so hoping that be able to point him to some providers who cover MTB.
Cover is through AIA for IP, and Clearview for Death and TPD.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Just be wary if they are willing to deal direct with you, then this might be for an off the shelf product.

The full assessments are usually done by the reseller/adviser who you would pay a fee for the service.
Noted and thanks.

I can't even see how you get a policy directly with them which would support your recommendation that I'll have to find a reseller/adviser anyways.

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks, I will follow those up with my Adviser. Are they the actual underwriters? Or the retailers?
Not 100% sure. As I understand everyone is underwritten by someone else higher up the chain until you get to only a small handful of companies who undewrite globally.

Bigaus

Squid
Not 100% sure. As I understand everyone is underwritten by someone else higher up the chain until you get to only a small handful of companies who undewrite globally.
Yes.... it's an opaque world in insurance! Normally the company that sends the "welcome to your new insurance policy" letter is not the underwriter though. The underwriter never communicates with you directly (unless you're making a claim). Are AIA and Clearview the customer facing companies for your policies?