Lets talk geo

Roy Turner

Likes Bikes
Over the years, particularly more recently, we have seen a race between brands to find a design of bike thats truly going to push the limits of speed, stability and capability. Big and small tweaks all over obviously make a big difference for the elite and for those of us who have spent many years on a bike or been between brands and styles.

But, for some of us who have unfortunately been in and out of the sport, cant afford something new or just really havent paid much attention might find themselves struggling to wrap their head around what could be the preferred geo of their next bike.

Lets be real, I'm trying to find a new bike and with a not a lot of time I'm not sure where to start to source some good info about bikes past and present that could be the thing for me. Where did you guys look for tips on what works?

Cheers in advance.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Read reviews ma dude, dh bikes are hard to get a test. If buyin second hand maybe get he bloke to meet you at the a track and take it for a spin if possible?

Roy Turner

Likes Bikes
Read reviews ma dude, dh bikes are hard to get a test. If buyin second hand maybe get he bloke to meet you at the a track and take it for a spin if possible?
All about those reviews, I've been spending a week trying to organise a time but it seems we both live lives of traveling for work. Seems to work out at the same time though so no one else is going to have a chance to take a look either.

Another thread pointed me over to Bike Bible reviews which has been super helpful with performance feedback. I'll just have to compile stats across a few bikes and reference their geo. I've got a bit of a weird fit for bikes, 6ft 1 but with longer limbs so sizing gets tricky.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I keep my choices pretty simple...does the bike look like my style? Low top tube, long enough top tube, short enough seat stays...does it look like a panther ready to slay trails? I don't want to ride no ostriches.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Ha. I can see it now... When the 2019 bikes & reviews hit the market....

"xyz's new 2019 DH model debuts their exclusive new Ostrich Link technology, combined with their progressive Panther Geometry to deliver a bike that..... (wait for it)... climbs as well as it descends!..."

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

"xyz's new 2019 DH model debuts their exclusive new Ostrich Link technology, combined with their progressive Panther Geometry to deliver a bike that..... (wait for it)... climbs as well as it descends!..."

I need to get busy on the patents and trademarks!

M4RT0

Likes Bikes
As a blanket statement, all modern DH bikes (2013 onwards I would say) are pretty close to one another in terms of Geo. If you do go second hand, have a test ride to make sure it's a good fit. I think my 2013 Specialized Demo is still doing alright and it'll be a long time before my skills surpass my bikes' ability!

Most major brands have a bikes archive website - so if you wanted, you could compare a 2013 (probably with 26" wheels) to a more recent rig with 27.5 inch wheels. My main concern wouldn't be the geo of the bike (since most bikes of the last 5 years follow a similar trend regardless of brand) but probably the standards they've used - boost/non boost, bottom bracket diameter etc.

safreek

FUCK me, where do I get this beast, just take my money