Lego

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had a go at making a few variations of rippers and harrows and they all looked pretty sad. Then decided to have a go at doing a drag along scraper or land plane. Scraper worked out not too bad. Still needs work but I am missing a few bits to finesse the shape and build. Ordered some tractor style tyres which should fit the rims and also panels to fill the holes that can and cannot be seen. Some other bits to complete the colour coding on their way as well. Overall pretty happy with that. I will wait for the bits to arrive and then see if I can run drive to the pto on the tractor to lift and lower the body with the motors in the tractor build. Sadly the battery box is hidden under the cab and is a major exercise to get to and install batteries so maybe not... I could go with the pneumatic cylinders and some hose and hide that up inside the bowels of the tractor. Thinks.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Got the rest of the major bits for my scratch built scraper.

Added a sliding ejector too and went for pneumatic cylinders so both the upsie downsie (tech ag term) and the slidery bit (also tech ag term) work. Still waiting on some more valves and a yellow pump to finish the plumbing but it is structurally done.

Tractor with quad road type tyres

Bought some tractor treads which work goodly, I was a bit concerned they would not fit with the tractor build but all good so four more will be ordered.

Scraping...

Half ejectoring

Quad tractor tyres...

And on the wall of shame where it will live.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am going to start building Alternative builds from my Lego sets. MANY alternate builds on Rebrickable, so I'm going to delve into the imagination of their B-sets.

I think next build will be the Lancia Stratos built from Lamborghini Sian, by Pleasedontspammebro.

Anyone else done any alternate builds?

Minlak

custom titis
I am going to start building Alternative builds from my Lego sets. MANY alternate builds on Rebrickable, so I'm going to delve into the imagination of their B-sets.

I think next build will be the Lancia Stratos built from Lamborghini Sian, by Pleasedontspammebro.

Calling @Dales Cannon

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Alternative builds... some of them.

This was the Volvo articulated dumptruck, and a grader, now JD tractor plans by others.

This was leftovers, plans by me

This was the Leibherr face shovel, then dozer, now excavator plans by others

This was fucking expensive spare parts, plans by me.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The crane was a wee bit impractical on the floor as well as being less stable with so much hanging off the top, prone to cat interference. I didn't ever bump it accidentally. Not once... So I broke it down and removed the luffing fly and masts. Kept the fly in mostly one piece and used it as a load and set up the crane on the desk. Much better. No added counterweight either, just lego holding lego. Reaved up winches 1 and 2 to the main block as per reality and 6 runs the single parted headache ball. Having two winches on a multi pass block allows the operator to run both at max speed to increase the rise and fall of the block.

I thought somewhere like spotlight would have cheap jewelry chain and I scaled the chains to about 2.5mm pitch. Sure enough found some 10 link per inch and 14 link per inch chains for under $5. Even more amazing is the dickhead 4wd towing hooks that @moorey loves are called lobster clasps and they too are available in baby sizes and under $5 for 10. Add some loops and tada... ... lifting chains. Have to paint the chains pink and make some lighter chains off the rooster but close enough. I have ordered some smaller lobsters, probably painted crays, and smaller rings for the headache ball.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Managed to find some old photos of the collection pre various moves and storage.

20160923_112725.jpg

That green truck is one of my faves. Was a very extravagant combined birthday / christmas pressie back in 1997 (I think) that was actually programmable. Space shuttle (foreground) was a lucky ebay find back when prices for such things were pretty reasonable. Probably wins the prize for most complicated and trickiest to build - tolerances need to be perfect or half the functions f*** out and a rebuild is required. Ask me how I know.

20160923_112807.jpg

Yellow crane in the foreground is probably the favourite. Took 14 hours to build (a record beaten a few years ago by... another crane). There's just something about big Technic cranes that are just so absorbing to build and muck around with. They tend to be ridiculously over-engineered and can lift a surprising amount (within reason).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I wish Lego would make a bigger diameter and wider rear wheel to suit the F1 cars. I have the mini too. A few alternative builds that I might investigate for that. So far only my Saturn V is as per plans and it will stay that way. Want to grab the transporter MOC but so many $ for so little.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
LEGO MOC Launch Tower Mk I for Saturn V (21309/92176) with Crawler by Janotechnic | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

I bought the instructions but I think I am up for about $1k in parts. You can alibaba it but from what I have heard the chilego is a bit shit.
Goddam that is massive. And yeah $1k in parts easily. All those sets have been retired (although that red crane is worth sourcing by itself imo, it's awesome).

Don't do fake Lego. I've bought a bit and in my experience unless it's close in cost to actual Lego it's utterly shit quality and no fun to work with. ABS plastic is apparently not cheap to replicate properly.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I did my first Lego build in 30 odd years (apart from helping the daughter with hers) This was an Ali express kit to see if I’d enjoy it. It was actually a good build. Working gearbox and motor, suspension set up was fun to. Stickers aren’t great and some of the sizing is off. I’m all ready looking for something else to build.
AF5A8B59-71B3-41C9-AD6A-D99F7A140AB3.jpeg
4B3E3F0B-093A-4DB1-A452-4C160B272F24.jpeg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I started a scratch build traction engine. Got the bones done but rear wheels are an issue, 120 x 30mm. So started thinking about lego spoked wheel with non lego tyre. Tried some pvc downpipe but the cutting didn't work as planned and until my finger heals there is no more legoing.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I did my first Lego build in 30 odd years (apart from helping the daughter with hers) This was an Ali express kit to see if I’d enjoy it. It was actually a good build. Working gearbox and motor, suspension set up was fun to. Stickers aren’t great and some of the sizing is off. I’m all ready looking for something else to build.
I started one of these last year while stuck at home with a broken wrist... It was tedious work with 1 non functioning hand especially the fiddly gearbox bits... I got as far as the motor/gearbox build, it was probably good physio to get the hand working again....
Hopefully I don't get the time to finish it.