Lance Armstrong podcast

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Super interesting interview with Lance Armstrong for the roadie scum out there. Early career, cancer, frank discussion about doping. Great insights into the underbelly of road racing.

https://peterattiamd.com/lancearmstrong/

Bittersweet for me as Armstrong was my childhood hero, but if you live anywhere near this world it is definitely worth a listen.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Nice find. I love lance content post doping. I don't get why people felt so strongly. I mean the whole field was on the juice and likely still are.
Yeah, for sure that it still goes on today, people like the Pirate Pantini were proof that others done it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nice find. I love lance content post doping. I don't get why people felt so strongly. I mean the whole field was on the juice and likely still are.
I reckon his calling out of others and continual criticism of riders doing exactly what he was doing proves he is an arsehole. Since then has done nothing to apologise to or redress his comments about those he rightly and wrongly called out. So still a moral piece of shit.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I think there was so much more outrage not just because he cheated but because he compelled - nay forced - others to dope too, destroyed their careers when they didn't (and sometimes even when they did), destroyed the careers / lives of others who dared defy him, and could lie straight to the faces of his closest friends without seemingly a shadow of remorse. He fits the definition of sociopath pretty well.

Plus there's the whole feeling of betrayal thing with the Livestrong stuff, that he sold so much hope on the basis of a lie to so many, that the cancer he beat was almost certainly caused by the concoction of performance enhancing drugs he was taking etc. etc.

On the other hand, he took said doping to an art form and demolished all the other cheats, and there's definitely parts of his life that are pretty inspiring.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
which is fine, except for the fact that lance took doping to another level, and then another frikken level beyond that.
lance was a fucking psychopath, especially to team-mates and people who were nominally his friends and allies.
He was a good bike racer, but he was primarily a nasty, vicious, corrupt and evil shitstain.
Maybe his world and national champs wins (both in 1993) were even done clean, but anything post 1996 is tainted with a thick and sticky layer of shit.

By and Large, I would agree with you that many of the world tour riders are doping to some degree, but people like lance stick out like a sore thumb.
Froome gamed the system with TUEs, and now Poga-strong could be doing a lance, if he keeps winning TdFs.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I dunno, not many pro atheletes get to where they are without being complete nutjobs and having unhealthy levels of egos I rekon. The ones you can point out are either faking it or are actually popular because they go against the grain.