Knowledge on Current TV’s

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Does that work for iPhones?
Yep. Can stream most online streaming services to chromecast devices using an apple device.

Can’t make an iPhone playback music to chromecast, you need an Apple TV box for that (Apple calls it airplay) , also some home theatre receivers have airplay built in.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. Can stream most online streaming services to chromecast devices using an apple device.

Can’t make an iPhone playback music to chromecast, you need an Apple TV box for that (Apple calls it airplay) , also some home theatre receivers have airplay built in.
Most soundbars will bluetooth to any phone to solve the iphone music thing..

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Ha! We are still rocking one of these, it's been properly calibrated & is astonishingly lovely:

Not the sort of TV you use a lot though - it's a bloody radiator!
I've been waiting for our old Panasonic 50" plasma to die so I can get a bigger TV, but it just keeps going with only one dead pixel after more than 12 years of service. All I do is take the back off every few years and vacuum out all the dust to keep the electronics from overheating.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've been waiting for our old Panasonic 50" plasma to die so I can get a bigger TV, but it just keeps going with only one dead pixel after more than 12 years of service. All I do is take the back off every few years and vacuum out all the dust to keep the electronics from overheating.
I just wish I’d ignored Kirsty (who didn’t want a “giant” tv...) and got the 65 instead of the 55... I got the very last ST series they ever made and it’s lovely.

I hope oled is as good when it eventually dies...

brawlo

Squid
Same here. Been wanting a bigger TV but the 50” Panasonic just keeps chugging along. The chromecast keeps it relevant. If we go bigger, I want it to be an actual upgrade and the Panny plasma displays were so good that you even now have to go high end to see an improvement apparently.

Whirlpool forums are a great place to search on this electronic stuff. I have found them to be invaluable. Way better than getting bamboozled in any electronics store by the ranges. I use whirlpool discussions to narrow down choices and then go in store with the intent to compare only a couple of models of whatever I’m looking for.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
inbuilt apps and features in TVs are shit. Buy it ONLY on picture quality - use an apple TV and plug it into your hifi system and treat it for what it is, a monitor.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Head around the shops and have a look. (if Covid restrictions allow)

JB's, Good Guys and Harvey Norman all have great displays of TV's going with 4K demos looping.
Except they all look like crap because they usually have showroom mode turned on. They're generally looping the strawman HDR demos too. Second the recommendation to look at RTINGs they have a good set of tests and they're good at explaining what the scores mean and why they matter. They also will generally have comparisons notes between competing models and have setup instructions that will give you a pretty good picture without needing to pop a probe on the telly. They only test models they've bought retail too rather than hand-picked manufacturer units.

Sony and LG are my recommendations for medium to high end. I ended up buying a Sony x9000f a couple of years ago. It's been pretty good, only complaint is slight blooming with local backlight dimming (it works in regions rather than being pixel specific like OLED).

JB currently has a number of TVs on sale until the 28th.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Except they all look like crap because they usually have showroom mode turned on. They're generally looping the strawman HDR demos too. Second the recommendation to look at RTINGs they have a good set of tests and they're good at explaining what the scores mean and why they matter.
Yeah, nah... dont trust your eyes at a local JB's playing a crap HDR 4K demo, read a Canadian review site then go JB's blindfolded and throw your cash at them from a socially acceptable distance.

JB currently has a number of TVs on sale until the 28th.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Do a bit of both. I bought my TV online without seeing it. Shops are nothing like your loungeroom and you adapt quickly to the characteristics of your tv anyway. Better to go for a site that does objective testing between a lot of models, than trusting yourself to be able to pick out which is a better image in a floodlit showroom. But also see a few TVs to relate back to some reviews too.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
You can chromecast from iPhone... but it’s not native like an android... so won’t start the telly from scratch, but who cares, select hdmi from your remote and you are golden. Chromecast is great... made various set top boxes and smart tv dongles redundant at our place.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Yeah, nah... dont trust your eyes at a local JB's playing a crap HDR 4K demo, read a Canadian review site then go JB's blindfolded and throw your cash at them from a socially acceptable distance.
With no disrespect to you, because this applies to all of us, you can't trust your eyes. They're far too easily biased. Your eyes probably think A and B are different colours.

Unless your home TV is in store mode, your living room is a show-room and you just watch Iron Man what you see in the store isn't representative anyway. TVs there are trying to grab your attention and the more obnoxious ones will win. Good things to find out about in the store are what the remote's like to use and if they can sweeten the deal.

If I want to find out how accurate the picture is I'll trust indepedent reviewers who, amongst other things, use a hardware measure to test against the standards set by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was buying a new telly, I’d just replace my Sony Bravia with a new one.
Yeah the Sony’s are no brainers, always have been.. It’s always the ~ $200 price difference and less flashy catch phrases for their tech that gets ignored.. Sony are the shimano of the tv world..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With no disrespect to you, because this applies to all of us, you can't trust your eyes. They're far too easily biased. Your eyes probably think A and B are different colours.
Unless your home TV is in store mode, your living room is a show-room and you just watch Iron Man what you see in the store isn't representative anyway. TVs there are trying to grab your attention and the more obnoxious ones will win. Good things to find out about in the store are what the remote's like to use and if they can sweeten the deal.
No worries !

There's a certain level of research to be done beforehand but with the squillion sites recommending 'the best TV under xxx' and giving you a non biased link to buy said telly, I would be trusting my eyes watching 4K Iron Man in real time in an Aussie store before a site from Canada.

Unlike the the gracious displays of TV's in local electronics stores, buying a computer monitor is nearly 100% online reviews.

Just remember the OP is looking for a $1500 - 65" TV so there's a limit.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
We had a 55” Sony bravia purchased 5 years ago. It had been great but about 8 months ago it started streaming really badly and couldn’t get a fix via updates to firmware etc.

I wasn’t super keen to change brands but was able to source a Samsung at cost price through work and grabbed a 65” Frame TV.

I gotta say I thought that the OS of the Sony was pretty good, but the Samsung is a stack tonne better.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get hands on with the operation and familiarize yourself with how well the features you use most are implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk