It's only 3 inches... 2018 Transition Smuggler

Lucaw

Next in line
i have run a 203 rotors on 24-26 mullet bike before and and didn’t notice any difference so it should be fine

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what's the sizing like on these @fjohn860 ?
I'm 182cm and I'm trying to work out if I could get away with medium frame as a spare parts build/fuck around and find out fun bike

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I'm 182cm and I'm trying to work out if I could get away with medium frame as a spare parts build/fuck around and find out fun bike
I'm around 182cm as well. So kind of in the middle of the sizing recommendations for M to L.

I went with large as I figured I could always put a shorted stem on it.

@beeb has ridden mine and is probably better at putting into words how the sizing feels, although he is a bit taller

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Looking at the Website archive, the medium has a reach of 450mm compared to the large's 475mm. Wheelbase is 1184mm compared to 1213mm.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb has ridden mine and is probably better at putting into words how the sizing feels, although he is a bit taller
@mike14, allow me to sum it up - it's good. :p

Haha, no seriously it's a really fun bike. I'm 188cm and sizing felt fine to me (though I do typically ride what's considered the short-end of sizing for my height these days...). Even still, it leans more toward the playful/quick handling side of things for me, but aside from not having endless travel it still felt quite capable on descents - I just had to be a bit more cautious on rock-rolls and step-downs as it was slightly similar to riding an XC bike where the front feels a little more underneath the handlebars than out in front. I liked that it felt really nimble and precise everywhere else though, and without being nervous or unstable. On the ascents it pedals better than it has any right to. When I first saw John's one, I've got to admit I assumed it was probably going to feel pretty heavy. Only took a few pedal strokes to get a good reminder how some bikes can "ride light" and it certainly feels really quick underfoot.

I suspect you might be in a similar situation to me for what you want from this bike - if you're not looking to straight-line rock-gardens at Mach-chicken, it'd could make for a fun play bike. Probably be worth seeing if you can ride something with a similar sized reach first if possible, as reach fit is a very personal thing depending on how you ride/position yourself on the bike. I'm pretty upright when I'm just cruising along, then lanky enough to move the bike around underneath me when I actually remember to ride properly (it happens occasionally!)

And for whatever it's worth, I reckon Transition absolutely nailed the frame-feel on these things (Smuggler and Sentinel both). They never feel flexy, but also aren't jarring or buzzy. Safe to say I recommend them if the sizing works.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
A bit of an evolution (de-evolution perhaps).

Built up another 29"wheelset using some red spank rims a good friend of mine was happy to part ways with.

A bit of an experimental wheel build using a set of $100 ARC MT009 hubs (front and rear :eek:), laced to some silver sapim spokes from Bicycle Spokes in WA.

Built the wheels up, put a WTB Vigilante 2.5 on the front and the WTB Trail Boss 2.4 I had previously on the back.

I also installed a 1° WOLFTOOTH GEOSHIFT ANGLESET as I planned to leave the longer eye-to-eye TRIAIR on so wanted to bring the BB back down a bit.

Have had a handful of rides on it now and I think I'm going to keep it 29/29 now. Maybe if I was 5'6" (or hadn't installed the angleset) the 27.5 wheel would make more sense to leave on.

Hubs have been fine so far, no skipping or crunching and I haven't been easy on them.

Colour scheme probably not to everyone's taste however I've never had very good colour coordination (according to my wife). And besides I like the mismatch haha.

IMG_20220928_202628.jpg

Rides great with the angleset now, and has kept the geo near OEM spec. Head angle is 65.5°. BB close-ish as well.

Next little project is a coil conversion for the Revelations (when I can log some lathe time).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A bit of an evolution (de-evolution perhaps).

Built up another 29"wheelset using some red spank rims a good friend of mine was happy to part ways with.

A bit of an experimental wheel build using a set of $100 ARC MT009 hubs (front and rear :eek:), laced to some silver sapim spokes from Bicycle Spokes in WA.

Built the wheels up, put a WTB Vigilante 2.5 on the front and the WTB Trail Boss 2.4 I had previously on the back.

I also installed a 1° WOLFTOOTH GEOSHIFT ANGLESET as I planned to leave the longer eye-to-eye TRIAIR on so wanted to bring the BB back down a bit.

Have had a handful of rides on it now and I think I'm going to keep it 29/29 now. Maybe if I was 5'6" (or hadn't installed the angleset) the 27.5 wheel would make more sense to leave on.

Hubs have been fine so far, no skipping or crunching and I haven't been easy on them.

Colour scheme probably not to everyone's taste however I've never had very good colour coordination (according to my wife). And besides I like the mismatch haha.

View attachment 393352

Rides great with the angleset now, and has kept the geo near OEM spec. Head angle is 65.5°. BB close-ish as well.

Next little project is a coil conversion for the Revelations (when I can log some lathe time).
My impression of you when I first got to know about your experiments on this rig:

My impression of you the longer I know you: :p

Haha, seriously though - mad respect for you on all the experiments on this thing. Love the "give no f**ks, let's tinker" approach and how much of a test mule you've made outta this. And the fact is you've also been able to significantly improve the overall package with some restrained but very shrewd spending. Reminds me of the old-school hot rodders where they couldn't just buy stuff so made stuff instead, and just figured out what worked as they went along. Keep it up mate - though I'll be stuffed if I can predict what you'll do next! :p

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
My impression of you when I first got to know about your experiments on this rig:

My impression of you the longer I know you: :p

Haha, seriously though - mad respect for you on all the experiments on this thing. Love the "give no f**ks, let's tinker" approach and how much of a test mule you've made outta this. And the fact is you've also been able to significantly improve the overall package with some restrained but very shrewd spending. Reminds me of the old-school hot rodders where they couldn't just buy stuff so made stuff instead, and just figured out what worked as the went along. Keep it up mate - though I'll be stuffed if I predict what you'll do next! :p
Thanks mate! Means a lot coming from you especially after seeing your attention to detail and meticulous bike builds. I must have done something right with this bike especially considering your near mystical sensitivity to bike setup.

I definitely enjoy the tinkering and of course the manufacturing of things.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
My next fork purchase will be a durolux for sure, I have heard good things about them.
Well my prediction did not eventuate (not yet anyway).

Due to the ridiculous BF sale Marzocchi had I was force to pick up a 170mm Z1 for a little long term side project. But thought why not chuck it on the Smuggler with 27.5 front and rear. Thanks to Mattyp I sourced a front and already had the rear from the Bad haircut experiment.

This little experiment has only been out for one ride and I liked it. Bit of extra wheel flop due to the travel (and probably my noodle arms from not riding much), but nothing outrageous that I couldn't get used to after a couple of runs.

Will need a few rides on it to decide if I keep it this way for a while.

I have already been cooking up a plan for short cranks and a 155/160-ish airspring mod haha.

Compress_20231228_083823_3638.jpg

Compress_20231228_083822_2755.jpg

I also tried a new Kenda Pinner I had (originally purchased) to put on the front of the TR450 with a 27.5 wheel.

Initial impressions are good. Seems to have less of the "dead zone" the DHF has IME.
The YYs was running pretty grippy though so I'll reserve final judgement until I've had it out on an anti-grip day.