It lives...... finally

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all happy new year. Lets hope this one isn't as fucked as the last two!!! Anyway some of you saw my post in "what I did for my bike today" thread a while back where I was painting my Pivot Mach 429 Trail. Well after 10 months it's finally done. Covid and a parts supplier that couldn't get their act together dragged this out way longer than I had hoped but it's all back together and is rideable. I'm pretty happy with the results but it's definitely not as good as I'd hoped. To be honest I think my expectations were a little too high given I was using spray cans instead of a gun. I plan to do my Pivot Phoenix at the end of this season and have bought a gun to do that one. The gun does a way better job so hopefully I can get it better on the second attempt. That said for a first crack it's not terrible. I love working on bikes so it was for the most part an enjoyable process.

I also learnt a lot so if anyone else is going to have a crack and has any questions drop them in here or PM me. Anyway, I hope you like it.

Cheers Scott.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Looks great, what paint did you use? Also curious about what you would do differently next time (other than the gun vs: cans)? Looks like the headtube and shock mount could have benefited from some fill primer maybe?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great, what paint did you use?
https://www.mtnaustralia.com.au/collections/mtn-94-spray-paint

Montana 94. They make pretty good quality rattle cans that all the graffiti artists use. I painted the whole bike red, masked it then painted the black.I then clear coated the whole thing with an automotive 2K gloss coat, remasked the red areas and painted the black with a 30% satin.

Also curious about what you would do differently next time (other than the gun vs: cans)? Looks like the headtube and shock mount could have benefited from some fill primer maybe?
So as you noticed it needed a thicker fill primer. I didn't want to spend 20ish hours sanding it so I got a guy to soda blast it. Problem was that also took off the bottom gel coat. I used a high fill primer and thought it had done the job (apart from around the shock mount but I was willing to suck that up), you couldn't really see that stuff until the first colour went on. So next bike I will sand down to the bottom paint layer which will give a much smoother surface to build on.

Also I have recently painted a set of Fox 36's for my Evil with the gun. They came out better than factory. It had a little orange peel effect but after a cut and buff, oooohhhh they came out good. The other thing this bike has is a very slight raise edge along the masking. So next bike I will use the gun and cut and buff it back to get rid of the edges and orange peel and hopefully, fingers crossed it will be a really good, dare I say it better than factory finish. That said, that was my hope for the is bike so will have to wait and see.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

Montana 94. They make pretty good quality rattle cans that all the graffiti artists use. I painted the whole bike red, masked it then painted the black.I then clear coated the whole thing with an automotive 2K gloss coat, remasked the red areas and painted the black with a 30% satin.

So as you noticed it needed a thicker fill primer. I didn't want to spend 20ish hours sanding it so I got a guy to soda blast it. Problem was that also took off the bottom gel coat. I used a high fill primer and thought it had done the job (apart from around the shock mount but I was willing to suck that up), you couldn't really see that stuff until the first colour went on. So next bike I will sand down to the bottom paint layer which will give a much smoother surface to build on.

Also I have recently painted a set of Fox 36's for my Evil with the gun. They came out better than factory. It had a little orange peel effect but after a cut and buff, oooohhhh they came out good. The other thing this bike has is a very slight raise edge along the masking. So next bike I will use the gun and cut and buff it back to get rid of the edges and orange peel and hopefully, fingers crossed it will be a really good, dare I say it better than factory finish. That said, that was my hope for the is bike so will have to wait and see.
Holy shit - I would have sworn the red was stickers. That’s amazing mate. Well done!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

What colour did you paint the stanchions on your forks?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What colour did you paint the stanchions on your forks?
So the fox logo took some work. After priming I put down the logo and sprayed the stanchions white, masked it then did the red, then the grey then the black masking the previous colour as I went. It took about two weeks to finish the forks because it was in the middle of winter and the paint drying times were heaps longer.
Madrid Red
Matte Black
Icarus Grey
Matte White