It has.... Been a while....

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
how would a 2019 trek ex5 go? I obviously dont plan on hitting diamond or double diamond these days, cbf really haha
That has the same geometry as my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Which means 67° head angle in the low setting and a slack effective—and very slack actual—seat tube angle by 2021 geometry standards. By comparison Trek’s new Top Fuel (a 120mm XC-derived trail bike, which is on the milder side of the current Fuel EX) has a 66° head angle.

Now I have really enjoyed my bike. But you were originally asking about DH bikes. And the two times I’ve ridden bikes with a 64-65° head angle I felt immediately at home, and went downhill faster than on my own bike (I literally set my PB on my local descent, which I’ve got ~320 recorded times on Strava, on my second run on the only time I rode the Yeti SB150).

So I would not recommend that bike. If it’s cheap (<$1500) then it might be a good entry point, fine for your local trails and you might think it’s pretty good compared to bikes from 15 years ago. But at Maydena or Derby it’s not going to hold a candle to a ~150mm enduro bike like the Canyon Spectral or Trek’s own Slash, which have ~64° head angles. If you’ve ridden DH bikes in the past, they are the sort of bike you will want.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
That has the same geometry as my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Which means 67° head angle in the low setting and a slack effective—and very slack actual—seat tube angle by 2021 geometry standards. By comparison Trek’s new Top Fuel (a 120mm XC-derived trail bike, which is on the milder side of the current Fuel EX) has a 66° head angle.

Now I have really enjoyed my bike. But you were originally asking about DH bikes. And the two times I’ve ridden bikes with a 64-65° head angle I felt immediately at home, and went downhill faster than on my own bike (I literally set my PB on my local descent, which I’ve got ~320 recorded times on Strava, on my second run on the only time I rode the Yeti SB150).

So I would not recommend that bike. If it’s cheap (<$1500) then it might be a good entry point, fine for your local trails and you might think it’s pretty good compared to bikes from 15 years ago. But at Maydena or Derby it’s not going to hold a candle to a ~150mm enduro bike like the Canyon Spectral or Trek’s own Slash, which have ~64° head angles. If you’ve ridden DH bikes in the past, they are the sort of bike you will want.
yeah true, i guess im just trying to keep the options open since there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from and i'll have to contact more of the bike shops around this way but i have a sneaking suspicion that stock is just gone for the foreseeable future as evidenced by a 12 month wait from ulverstone cycles just to get stock in.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
yeah true, i guess im just trying to keep the options open since there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from and i'll have to contact more of the bike shops around this way but i have a sneaking suspicion that stock is just gone for the foreseeable future as evidenced by a 12 month wait from ulverstone cycles just to get stock in.
Yeah, it’s a tough time to source a bike. And no doubt a frustrating/diabolical time to be an LBS owner, when you’ve got customers ready to buy and you’re unable to offer them anything.

Is Trek is second hand? Or is it older floor stock? Obviously any bike is better than no bike, and you know your history, skill, financial situation, likelihood of the bug really biting again, etc. I’m just trying to steer you away from a bike that probably isn’t particularly cheap (say $3K?) that will be okay, but probably nowhere near as grin-inducing than if you stretched to your original $4–5K, which could get you into a really nice 150mm trail bike with modern geometry, a Fox Rhythm fork and a 12-speed 10-51/52 drivetrain.

Sky_Collapsed

Is Trek is second hand?
assume the lbs stock was either this years model or clear outs from last years demo/rentals as I did ask what stock just in general they had in but no dice.

Obviously any bike is better than no bike, and you know your history, skill, financial situation, likelihood of the bug really biting again, etc. I’m just trying to steer you away from a bike that probably isn’t particularly cheap (say $3K?) that will be okay, but probably nowhere near as grin-inducing than if you stretched to your original $4–5K, which could get you into a really nice 150mm trail bike with modern geometry, a Fox Rhythm fork and a 12-speed 10-51/52 drivetrain.
I am ok with stretching it out to 5,200, maybe 5,500 but 5,500 is about the top end i've ever spent on a bike in general. If nothing exciting comes up i will have to maybe accept a 3-3.5 hour drive for something lol.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got quoted June delivery for a Remedy 8 from Trek. $5299 pretty decent spec, probably the kind of bike that you are after if you can wait that long.

Other bikes I was asking after I was quoted 2023!

Sky_Collapsed

I got quoted June delivery for a Remedy 8 from Trek. $5299 pretty decent spec, probably the kind of bike that you are after if you can wait that long.

Other bikes I was asking after I was quoted 2023!
yeah the wait times for the lbs's are pretty horrific really.

anyways a 2019 scott genius 920 came up on marketplace so i figured given the little choice there is i just decided to hit the buy now button.

it's currently on 29ers but it also comes with 27.5's as well so i've got options.

Now I have to re-learn how to ride. Anyways it feels way more responsive than even my old xc bike and idk if it was just me but it felt like it picked up speed real fast?