Is this justifiable or just more of the same... Esker Hayduke

New frame or stay the same

• Total voters

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok firstly I have and only ever have one MTB at a time. Currently it’s a steel Ritchey P29 PYR thread https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/ritchey-p-29-steel-is-reborn.295634/ Ritchey Spec https://www.bike24.com/p2103381.html

I didn’t ride for about 16 months from mid 2017. I have been back riding and stumbled across a steel thread on mtbr.

This appeared https://eskercycles.com/products/hayduke?variant=12566618046536

I was instantly in love.....

My current frame had a reasonable crash which ended scratching the rear chain stay and the shifter putting a small dent in the top tube. Neither of these effect my riding. I ride fat boy XC and trail riding. I’m 40. I was toying with a dualie but don’t think I really care for one that much.

My question is ... is there enough change in geometry to justify buying a new bike, most of my gear swaps over but will it be different enough

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@creaky At worst About $1200. Cheapest shipping from us I’ve seen $50 us. Frame is $675us so might even get it through at around 1k

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More modern geo for sure. It'll be different. Plus NEW BIKE DAY!
So what differences will I notice? The seat angle is steeper and head angle slacker

I have the Ritchey set up for trail - big rubber - dropper - 120mm pike etc.

I’m actually very scared I could be buying a bike for it’s beautiful red paint job...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Longer reach, slower steering, easier to shoot the steeps.

I wouldn't buy it without being able to try out something similar in geo though. You might not like it...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Too similar.
You're getting close to ebike age so get a dualie and keep riding that little bit longer.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Nerf Herder it’s from Esker direct. Frame only.

Once you go through check out shipping comes up and the first option is flat rate worldwide $49. Its part of what makes it so tempting....

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Fark... I want one.

With a rigid fork with anything mounts, that would be a monster bikepacking rig.

Have you also looked at hunt bikes?

PJO

in me vL comy
I compared the geo of the P29 which it is fairly old school, 70HA/73SA and short reach. The Hayduke is much longer in the top tube and reach for the same nominal size. What length stem are you currently using on the P29?

The geo if the Hayduke looks fairly similar to Kona Honzo, know anyone who had one so you can test ride? Any bike shops nearby selling Honzo that allow test ride?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Really depends where you will be riding ?
The new frame isnt cheap or light but probably extremely durable.
If it was Yackandandah or somewhere intermediate standard m either bike is fine , if its rocky, steep, gnarly eg Harcourt, Maydena, Derby , Falls a duallie is nice.