Is this asbestos?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Closer to a grand actually… Asbestos bloke came round to look at it.
Disturbing Asbestos causes dust, left it situ it will be fine. If it needs removed, they should come with envirovacs and plastic screen the area....

Tassie tradies are going to rip that stuff out with less PPE than your general public trying to avoid Covid
Second thoughts, it may be corona mask and a Bunnings Ryobi vac :oops:

BDEB7AD9-A2EC-46B8-8433-D246BFDDA1E9.jpeg

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Disturbing Asbestos causes dust, left it situ it will be fine. If it needs removed, they should come with envirovacs and plastic screen the area....

Second thoughts, it may be corona mask and a Bunnings Ryobi vac :oops:

View attachment 397130
Yeah, they'll seal off the hallway and all rooms off it, and seal themselves in and rip it all up and bag it. And take their (appropriately filtered presumably) vacuum in too.

Yeah, its a grand I didn't want to spend - but on the plus side he had a look at the tiles in the kitchen I had assumed were also asbestos and he says theyre fine so that was a win.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have no idea how I'm still alive, we had heaps of the asbestos roofing lying around as a kid. There's probably not much a 5 year old could do with it that I didn't do. We had a dilapidated old chook shed made from it, I rolled marbles and matchbox cars on it, threw rocks at it, used broken pieces as minuter boats, mum tried burning it at one stage to no avail.

If it's a small amount, I would wet it off and bag as much as you can without breaking it up and depose of it properly.

ozzybmx

Yeah, they'll seal off the hallway and all rooms off it, and seal themselves in and rip it all up and bag it. And take their (appropriately filtered presumably) vacuum in too.

Yeah, its a grand I didn't want to spend - but on the plus side he had a look at the tiles in the kitchen I had assumed were also asbestos and he says theyre fine so that was a win.
My holiday place in Melrose has 'possibly' asbestos external walls. I don't need to disturb them and they are in good condition so they are all good.

I have no idea how I'm still alive, we had heaps of the asbestos roofing lying around as a kid. There's probably not much a 5 year old could do with it that I didn't do. We had a dilapidated old chook shed made from it, I rolled marbles and matchbox cars on it, threw rocks at it, used broken pieces as minuter boats, mum tried burning it at one stage to no avail.

If it's a small amount, I would wet it off and bag as much as you can without breaking it up and depose of it properly.
Over the past 30 yrs, I've worked in 2 x 1960's Power Stations for 25 of those. These days its all documented but from my 1st year as an apprentice at 16yrs old till I was 25, I filled in about 20 asbestos exposure forms. We used to wade through 2 inches of dust on top of ducting until someone says, errrr.... lets get this dust checked... then we headed to the smoko room for the next 3 hours while it was checked. Yep 2% blue asbestos, job abandoned until it was cleaned.

jrewing

Eats Squid
do people really understand how it becomes bad for you? People get scared of it more than a riled up brown snake.
But I want my 100 leaded Avgas back haha

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do people really understand how it becomes bad for you? People get scared of it more than a riled up brown snake.
Probably will kill you , but in a horrible way , lungs buggered , can’t breathe , pretty shit all round .

last person I know died of emphysema…was in the navy ( @ozzybmx look away now ) and had the job of rewrapping stem pipes ……only took 30 yrs to show .

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was also that place ….’Blue Sky Mine ‘

oh yeah Wittenoon , was pretty blue fibres ……

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I copped my share of lungfuls I reckon from brakes and clutches in old cars. I reckon I'm going to let someone else deal with this one...

Could I do it myself safely? Probably. Buy a decent mask and the suit and seal off the hall. Bag it all up, wet wipe it all down... Something to ponder, but will probably let the tradies bend me over on this one.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You're meant to smoke it, it's good for the lungs, mate. You also get itchy rashes from it, it was the only thing that deterred as me a kid from rubbing it all over myself.

I bet 50% of the water pipes in Tassy are still asbestos, I had the road widened out the front of my home, and they unearthed the old water main that was just left buried, and it was asbestos piping.

jrewing

Eats Squid
You're meant to smoke it, it's good for the lungs, mate. You also get itchy rashes from it, it was the only thing that deterred as me a kid from rubbing it all over myself.

I bet 50% of the water pipes in Tassy are still asbestos, I had the road widened out the front of my home, and they unearthed the old water main that was just left buried, and it was asbestos piping.
Can get itchy rashes othwrways. Some suit up some don’t.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
get yourself a 5lt weed sprayer and a 1lt bottle of cheap PVA wood glue...dilute 4/1 in the weed sprayer and cover everything until you work out a battle plan..
some of the older sheets had what looked like golf ball dimple pattern on the back side, but this looks different, but Yes, it does look like ACM

Haakon

Keeps on digging
get yourself a 5lt weed sprayer and a 1lt bottle of cheap PVA wood glue...dilute 4/1 in the weed sprayer and cover everything until you work out a battle plan..
some of the older sheets had what looked like golf ball dimple pattern on the back side, but this looks different, but Yes, it does look like ACM
Ive only exposed that little section - as soon as I saw the way it broke I knew my day was not going to involve taking up the floor after all! I hit the broken edge with some spray paint to seal it.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

They did put it in cigarette filters, back in the good old days.

ozzybmx

last person I know died of emphysema…was in the navy ( @ozzybmx look away now ) and had the job of rewrapping stem pipes ……only took 30 yrs to show .
On a cold morning we used to head up to the overland pump house to read our papers (no mobile phones in 1990). This building had all the pump supplies for the oil farms, it also has trace heating around the pipes to keep them warm.

On the pipes, about every 1 metre, there was a seat chipped out of white asbestos lagging, about 50mm deep, these seats reminded me of the old steel tractor seats. They were chipped out in the shape of a mans ass :oops: there was 20+ of us sitting up there with warm butts.

The pipes were about 12" pipes with about 3" of white asbestos lagging pasted all around. These seats saved a man sitting on a round pipe and also got your ass closer to the trace heating on a freezing Irish morning. The newer carved seats gave you a white ass when you stood up.

hdgfhggggd.jpg

Last edited: