Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is me with my repaired 5 tens as well...the sika tears to easily and the stealth rubber holes just get bigger. Down to one pair now and not sold on the 2FO as they feel too high on the pedal, maybe not enough flex like the 5-10s. I will probably just get another pair of 5-10s if I can find some in my size. I may also look into Etnies if I can find a local bike shop that stocks them.
The sikaflex is just a patch job to prolong the use, I roughly got about 10 rides out of the last patch up. Even resoling them isn't all that attractive to me because by the time you pay for transport and the resoling it isn't far off a new set. The 2FO are similar price to the Freerider pro's, my thoughts were may as well stick with what you know works.

Many Skate and Surf shops sell Etnies.

The Ride Concepts seem to be stretching a bit and feeling more comfortable, I don't think they'll be as good as the freerider pro's but I couldn't force myself to fork out over $220 for a bike shoe knowing that it would have been lucky to cost $30 to make.

teK--

Eats Squid
The sikaflex is just a patch job to prolong the use, I roughly got about 10 rides out of the last patch up. Even resoling them isn't all that attractive to me because by the time you pay for transport and the resoling it isn't far off a new set. The 2FO are similar price to the Freerider pro's, my thoughts were may as well stick with what you know works.

Many Skate and Surf shops sell Etnies.

The Ride Concepts seem to be stretching a bit and feeling more comfortable, I don't think they'll be as good as the freerider pro's but I couldn't force myself to fork out over $220 for a bike shoe knowing that it would have been lucky to cost $30 to make.
Try lacing them differently. I use the "wide forefoot" pattern, combined with the ankle lock pattern in the video link below:

Ankle Lock instructions

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle how are the Etnies Marana for riding? The reviews have said there isn't a lot of grip but it would be good to hear about them from the real world.
I'm very real...

Ummmmmm I like them and haven't experienced poor grip. The shoe is narrow and took a few rides to stretch out to a comfortable width. I should add a caveat though regarding the pedals I have been using them with. The nukeproof neutrons I use have pins that are much longer than standard. The black spire pedals have a massive platform. So they are the pedals I mostly use the shoes with.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm very real...

Ummmmmm I like them and haven't experienced poor grip. The shoe is narrow and took a few rides to stretch out to a comfortable width. I should add a caveat though regarding the pedals I have been using them with. The nukeproof neutrons I use have pins that are much longer than standard. The black spire pedals have a massive platform. So they are the pedals I mostly use the shoes with.
Thanks Poodle just picked up a cheap pair from Pushys as backup now I'm on my backup pair of 5-10s

Minlak

custom titis
Just as an FY! currently
Using Raceface Atlas Pedals
Shimano GR7 - Cheap - Comfortable enough not amazing - Grip Good
(Still use them for any wet rides)
Crank Brothers Stamp Speed Lace - Comfortable lots of padding great heal grip features quick to secure - Grip Average
(I sold them because my left little toe has issues and it didn't like them.
Specialized 2FO DH - Super comfortable good lace retention use them for 3-4hr rides no issues - Grip Amazing
(Waited forever to have them in stock in my size hence the other shoes.)

Crank Brothers shoes in many reviews have mentioned they need to fix the grip on the soles - I am unsure if you match with their pedals it will make much of a difference as the sole is indented to fit them. (Have you seen the price of some CB Stamp pedals - no thanks)

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
Anyone tried these?

Pretty good reviews.

For $90 seem like a good back up to have ready for when Freerider Pros die

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
I had been eyeballing these for a while and was waiting for a sale or needing new shoes desperately. I ordered a pair after your post. $90 is awesome and I would have ordered the tan anyway.

A quick comparison to my 510 Impact VXIs (no longer made but have been great to me).

They came today and I haven't ridden them but did bounce on the pedals a bit. They seem to be equivalently sticky to my 510 impact VXIs which have the extra sticky MI2 rubber but the sole is flatter so it is probably easier to reposition the shoe when you dont have it pressed into the pedal. They are a bit less bulky and seem lower at the ankle (probably about where the freerider pro sits, though I haven't worn them). In general these seem very similar to the freerider pros. They are also a bit firmer but with thinner material compared to the VXIs which are bulky. These seem to have firmer and less squishy soles and sides. Seems to be thinner but firmer material all around which puts it more in the middle of the range for Riding shoes. I suspect they may be a bit more efficient for pedalling with the firmer sole but if you come down hard on your feet from a big drop you will feel it more in these than the VXI.

On first impressions they seem to be very similar to the freerider pros in terms of style, protection etc. Keep in mind I have never owned freerider pros so this comparison doesn't mean much aside from a visual comparison on shoe size, shape, ankle protection etc.

The camber is touch heavier than the Impact VXI but unlike the normal Impacts the VXI are amazingly light (lighter than most trail shoes despite being aimed at DH). This definitely doesn't make the camber heavy.

re the sizing they are also a bit narrower in the toe box than the VXIs (which have a very boxy toe box which suits my foot shape). I can comfortably wear the vxis in 43 and 44, I wouldn't go smaller than the 44 on the camber. This is more a personal thing, I prefer a boxy toe box and I don't tend to get on with pointy toe boxes. These are probably right in the middle and will suit the average foot. The length of the shoe is exactly the same as the 510 VXIs so I would say sizing is accurate.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
A quick comparison to my 510 Impact VXIs (no longer made but have been great to me).
Thanks for this. I have some Etnies Marana skate shoes, which look almost exactly like these and are pretty good pump track shoes on their own. Still a bit on the fence, but your review might tip me over for a pair of these. Might need to be quick!

Edit: Kinda want the 2FO Specs a bit more, but at $90 vs $250 (ish) they are probably worth a punt.

dirtdad

So turns out Pushys also have the Etnies Culvert for $109 in a few more sizes.
I could then get my normal 11, instead of having to upsize to an 11.5 in the $20 cheaper Camber Cranks.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So turns out Pushys also have the Etnies Culvert for $109 in a few more sizes.
I could then get my normal 11, instead of having to upsize to an 11.5 in the $20 cheaper Camber Cranks.

The 11.5 will be a bit wider and the Etnies are quite narrow so depending on the width of your foot the 11.5 may actually fit better.

dirtdad

The 11.5 will be a bit wider and the Etnies are quite narrow so depending on the width of your foot the 11.5 may actually fit better.
Too late...

Nah, it'll be ok so long as their MTB shoes aren't made from substantially different lasts to their skate shoes. My other Etnies (skate) are 11 and they fit fine. I could probably even fit into a 10.5 lengthwise, but the 11 already gives me some additional width and a thumb of length.