is mtb a rich kids and working peoples sport??

ride4fun

Likes Dirt
The cost of our sport has got to put a lot of people off. Thats limiting the growth of our sport. im not saying costs aren't justified but some things are stupidly priced for eg. titanium springs, tyres etc. whats your opinions?

tu plang

knob
the automotive market is a lot larger then the mtb market, car parts manufacturers can produce things in quantities much larger then mtb manufacturers could do profitably, hence the higher price.

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately 95% of the good stuff comes from OS. So until we have a strong dollar we will be paying inflated prices. You could look at it another way, if you wanted buy a works GP bike, of a F1 car of a road going Porche, Ferrari etc. you would be starting at $300,000 and and going up. I would say with the current technology avaiable to the punter that it is probably one of the most accessible equipment based sports around. Turn up to a local club race and some of the bikes there would easily be on the start line of a World Cup race. I know everybody doesn't have a couple of grand just to throw at a bike, it comes down to where your priorities lie. Yes some things seem over priced and tyres would be one of the biggest cost to cop, but the bike industry doesn't produce or sell any where near the quantity that all the cars and trucks do. Therefore they are sold at a higher price. I wouldn't say the cost is limiting the growth of our sport, compared to only 5 years ago there are stack more people riding and in 5 years time there will be even more now that the freeride/downhill culture makes up a large part of riders these days. Look at the popularity of the endurance events. The Mont 24HR has a limit of 1700 riders which filled up in a matter of weeks and Tony Scott told me he had enquiries to fill that number again afterwards. So I don't think the cost is hurting the sport, sure it would be better if it was cheaper. Anything would be. :)

tu plang

knob
mosts sports are expensive if u get good quality equipment... try going rock climbing (outdoor) on a budget, not gonna get far. mtb seems expensive only because most of us grew up around kmart bikes and lots of people we know consider bikes to be a 200 dollar item, u discover the world of high end bikes and yes, they are exponentially more expensive.

RCOH

Eats Squid
mountain biking is a niche market within a niche market (cycling). The rule of supply & demand says that as demand increases, prices become lower because it is cheaper to produce 400,000 items than 10,000. This is proven by the cheapness of low end bikes, more people by them so more are made so they get cheaper.

It is a Catch-22 though, prices won't get cheaper until more people buy high end bikes, but people wont buy high end bikes because they are too expensive.

I say just get a loan, it is like saving in reverse :wink:

struggles

Likes Dirt
[
I say just get a loan, it is like saving in reverse :wink:[/quote]

I agree. He who dies with the most debt wins.

It seems that the 04 models are getting a bit cheaper. The higher aussie dollar is also helping though.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you classify it as "expensive" because you are comparing it to football, soccor, baseball, etc. If you were to compare it to boating, rock climbing, road cycling, etc, it really isn't all that expensive.

Andrewsute

Likes Bikes
well it really depends what you like most peole on farkin would probably rather ride everywhere than drive so yes it is cheaper than driving a car and more fun, but compared to sports yes it is more expensive but the rush you can get out of riding is well worth it and its a way to have fun and keep fit

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
All the cost are relative.

With 15k in my hand i can be kitted out with the latest and greatest technology, the latest body armour an clothes & roll up to any start gate on the WC circuit and walk away with change.

If it's truly your passion as it is mine then 15k is peanuts.

Go and price a top of the range set of golf sticks. The cost of a round of golf at a decent course and see how far and how many games of golf 15k will get ya. Not much... But hey If thats ya passion you'll pass the bucks over the counter every time.

I reckon for a technology/equipment based sport/hobbie/lifestyle/addiction it is relativly cheap by comparison.

Take water sking, FAAAARk, You need anyware between 10k and 100k just for the bit that tows ya.

I could go on and on with examples.

Cheers

SW

toodles

Wheel size expert
Every sport can be expensive. Even athletics and other spots that don't require much equipment get darn pricey when you start trying to get serious.

fiddler

Likes Dirt
I also think our sport is being limited by greedy bike shops and distributors over pricing bikes and products. For example, you can buy armor about 15-20% cheaper at a moto shop than a bike shop.
I don't necessiarly think it is because they are trying to make large profits, I think it has more to do with shops being inefficient and having poor customer service

I admit there are however some shops out there (ie Phantom Cycles)(no I don't work for them) who seem to be on the right track.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
I don't have an issue with prices, there's nothing you can do about how much things cost. But it's basic economics that the moto market gets better pricing, it's a bigger market.

Same as why things are cheaper in the US, it's a bigger market.

But back to the actual question, is cost a factor? Of course it is... but IMHO this only ensures that it's only the people who truly love the sport who really get into it, making it better for us. :)

There's also bad aspects of this, but I can't be bothered going into that aswell.

Ty

Eats Squid
fiddler said:
I also think our sport is being limited by greedy bike shops and distributors over pricing bikes and products. For example, you can buy armor about 15-20% cheaper at a moto shop than a bike shop.
I don't necessiarly think it is because they are trying to make large profits, I think it has more to do with shops being inefficient and having poor customer service

I admit there are however some shops out there (ie Phantom Cycles)(no I don't work for them) who seem to be on the right track.
yeah i know the owner of my LBS is cruising around in a Porsche after work :roll:

damn greedy bike shops.

fiddler

Likes Dirt
Ty, If you read my post correctly I didn't suggest LBS's were charging higher prices to get rich. I said a lot of bike shops had to charged more because they were inefficient in the way they were managed and run and therefore had higher costs.

I think the bike industry in general is poorly managed and run and because of this costs are higher.
[/quote]

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
Ty said:
fiddler said:

yeah i know the owner of my LBS is cruising around in a Porsche after work :roll:

damn greedy bike shops.
I think Greedy is the wrong word but there is certinly somthing up with clothing and armour prices in bicycle shops. With Australia's parrallel Import laws the bike shops are getting there gear from the same places the moto shops are so why are gloves, armour etc 20-30% cheaper????

Another problem in this country is the amount of Bike shops, There are just to many. IMO Brisbane could support 4 decent Bike shops but we have 12 dozen selling $130 shitters to the masses and barley one of em willing to stock hi end gear, due to the fear of not being able to off load the gear which is totally understandable. As soon as one goes broke another one opens. end of rant, sorry :?