Intro and first bike Giant Boulder1 vs Talon 2

Hi All,
I'm Matt and live out in the eastern burbs of Melbourne.
I'm about to (in the next couple of weeks) buy myself a first bike (in many years).

Initially i'm riding for fitness on sealed and dirt trails but depending how much i enjoy it i may progress in to more serious stuff. I plan on dragging the bike along with me on a few 4wd trips.

I initially have come down to 2 different bikes although as i visit more shops and as i hear from you guys i may add more to the list.

Both are Giant bikes, one is the Boulder 1 and the other is Talon 2.

Am i better off getting the top of the bottom range where i presume there isn't really much scope for upgrade/improvement without a new frame, or do i go for the bottom of the mid-range in the Talon 2 presumably giving me a better equipment level to begin with and room to grow without having to buy a full new bike.

Cheers
Matt

Faeros

Likes Bikes
Hey mate,

Not sure how those bikes are but generally every bike is upgradable within its given field. So any XC bike should fit any XC parts on it no matter what. Only real things to consider is new suspension cause putting some nice 203mm forks on it probably wont work to well, if it has 120mm then 140-100mm or possibly 150mm (depends on riding environment) will fit and everything these days can be bought with whatever steerer you need (generally 1-1/8 for XC). All mountain is just a step up from XC with bigger suspension/tyres but also costs more. Freeride is in between all mountain and dh but leans heavily towards downhill riding and downhill is well, downhill. Hope any of this helps and im sure if any questions about upgrading parts arises the awesome folk around here will help as much as they can.

-Faeros

Edit1-
Definately have a ride of the 29er before deciding which to buy. I havent ridden one but lots of people say they are good, only thing is, upgrading is a bit more finicky but only on a couple of parts (suspension/tyres/rims etc) because of its size.

Last edited:

submit

Likes Bikes
don't waste money on the boulder and definitely try out the talon 29er
better components and a hard tail will teach you better than a softie.

the new yukon is roughly the same price the the gears on it are crapatula.

both can be had for $1k which is a very good price.

the boulder 1 and Talon 2 both have 100mm of fork travel.

the Talon 0 29er is unfortunately out of price range.

I'm looking at ideally spending no more than $500 and i can get a Talon 2 for $550 so can stretch it to there, but $1000 plus on a bike that i may only end up using for a few months (gotta work out if i enjoy it or not) is to much for me unfortunately.

I've got no problem with buying 2nd hand but i'm to out of touch with what gear is good and what isn't to go down that path at this stage without assistance. I haven't ridden in 16 years and even then it was a 10 speed road bike and BMX.

Faeros

Likes Bikes
Maybe best bet is to look at bikeexchange.com.au or the trading section here.

I just had a look and if you search (new/Mountain/$500-$500/VIC/ no limit on ks) on bikeexchange there are 90 bikes there, i reckon you could find a good deal. There is a boulder 2 for $500 in footscray which is $50 off. I bet you could bargain them down atleast another $50 or another option if you have the time and patience, ring all the gt registered stores and ask them how much etc. Ring around and with price matching and so forth you could get it el cheapo probably. Good luck.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
heyy,
i acctually have ridden both of these bikes. wichever way you go boulder or talon you will be fine, ive never had a problem with a Giant, they are virtually indestructable, provided you not throwing it of cliffs or something bizzar like that, and giving them decent maintenence.
If you do decide on a Giant go for the 2011 or older model (not sure if the 2012 is in your price range tho) the 2011's are better speced then the 2012, i know ct that the 2012 model has a tougher frame but the componentry is of a lower standard then the 2011 model. I almost bought a talon 2011 for my local trails, i can say there is nothing wrong with the frame, like i said Giants are bullet proof.
I have ridden the 2011 model and its a decent bike to start getting into MTB, although if you serious about getting serious again, like possibly racing XC then i would advise the talon, slightly ligerter, tougher, better componentry.
I know you said the 29er is out of your budget but 29ers are great, im never going back to the small wheels, must have atleast one 29er at all times!
I can also say check out bike exchange, you'll find some great deals there.

they are both great bikes, it'll be hard to go wrong these days.
Happy riding!

digbyj

Scooteria
Matt, whereabouts are you? I could show you a couple of rides that might make you reconsider your budget. I've been riding for a coupla months and sound in about your position, but I've now decided (or the missus gave me permission!) to spend a bit more on a bike. Sealed/dirt roads are boring!!

hi Digbyj,
I'm in the ferntree gully area but re the budgets, i can reconsider all i like, but it wont put the money in my pocket to be able to spend it, unless you're feeling generous :p

I've now done a bit more hunting around and am down to 2 bikes.
Giant Talon 2 2011 vs Mongoose Tyax Super 2011 (leaning towards the mongoose)
Ultimately i will buy whichever feels more comfortable but am quite happy with the spec level.
For the second bike (for the wife) we are down to Mongoose Tyax Comp 2011 or Avanti Montari 2 2011 (leaning towards the avanti)

well the deal has been done and the bikes picked up.
I got a Mongoose Tyax Super 2011 (and the other half a Tyax comp 2011)
I have a set of firmer springs on order because the stock ones are close to the stops with me sitting stationary on the bike.

Let the fun (and pain) begin