iNaturalist

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...but I'll confess the app still feels a little clunky in this modern world.
I don't use the app. Some orchids need a close up for id purposes and my el-cheapo phone just isn't up to it, so I use a real camera and then post on the website.

This type of citizen science is incredibly useful. The orchid survey I contribute to has found the endangered Sydney Plains Greenhood in several previously unknown locations. I still haven't found one of these myself yet but I will keep looking now I know they are not as rare as was previously thought.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Have been seeing these critters darting across the fire road on the climbs back to the top of the trails lately. Usually it's a quick zoom past which makes it hard to ID,.I was sure they weren't mice and probably a native marsupial...today this little guy was having a nap on the verge of the fire road, probably trying to catch some sun as it was pretty fresh up on the hill, and I managed to get a pic. Could have probably picked it up as it was well and truly asleep. Gave it a prod and much to it's disgust, it wandered under the nearest shrub.
Anyway confirmed it's a Dusky Antechinus, first year seeing them here, maybe the prolonged wetness has driven them higher up the mountain, not sure. Pretty cool anyway.
PSX_20231230_130932.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Used to have thousands of these flying around my suburb each year where I grew up. Got to be at least 35 years since I've seen one - no idea what they're called, used to just accuse them of being tiger moths.
I think that's the informal name for them - Yellow-banded Dart is their "common" name (I can't do Latin, sorry... o_O). Don't see many of them here either sadly, but at least one here or there in the summertime still.

Dig me some geckos.
Yep, love 'em too. I've seen that one (at a guess) again since, and a smaller one that is presumably an offspring too. Lucky to have them!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This has got to be my favourite capture of the year. This wasp had ripped the legs off a huntsman and was busy injecting its larvae (?) into its, err, host... It was not mucking about. It flew off after a bit and I moved the remains of the huntsman somewhere a bit more discreet than the middle of my garden path!

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This has got to be my favourite capture of the year. This wasp had ripped the legs of a huntsman and was busy injecting it's larvae (?) into its, err, host... It was not mucking about. It flew off after a bit and I moved the remains of the huntsman somewhere a bit more discreet than the middle of my garden path!
We currently have a few spiders secreted away in the floor of our chook house by something similar - one does not get too curious a second time as the telling off is memorable.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
We currently have a few spiders secreted away in the floor of our chook house by something similar - one does not get too curious a second time as the telling off is memorable.
Ohhh did you get stung? Ive read its a memorable experience even for those who study stinging insects.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
It's going to be a chilly start to the snow season!
Get a balaclava!

The quendas around my folks' place were pretty friendly last night. Had no issues being on the grass less than a couple of meters from me. One even ran around someone's legs.