iNaturalist

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ohhh did you get stung? Ive read its a memorable experience even for those who study stinging insects.
Yep. A few years ago. Didn't tickle.

Coincidentally, a paper wasp nailed me on the back of the neck yesterday after bumbling into me. Didn't sting for long but the allergic reaction means I've now got a quality lump that itches annoyingly.

ausdb

Being who he is
Have been seeing these critters darting across the fire road on the climbs back to the top of the trails lately. Usually it's a quick zoom past which makes it hard to ID,.I was sure they weren't mice and probably a native marsupial...today this little guy was having a nap on the verge of the fire road, probably trying to catch some sun as it was pretty fresh up on the hill, and I managed to get a pic. Could have probably picked it up as it was well and truly asleep. Gave it a prod and much to it's disgust, it wandered under the nearest shrub.
Anyway confirmed it's a Dusky Antechinus, first year seeing them here, maybe the prolonged wetness has driven them higher up the mountain, not sure. Pretty cool anyway.
View attachment 405754
Antechinus, I remember an ecology lecturer at uni saying something along the lines of "The male of this species has a life that some would envy, it could be summarised as eats, fucks its brains out, then dies" and then went on to talk about a study of them he had been involved in.

Last edited: