iNaturalist

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
No, this isn't the nudists thread. Don't get excited!

Is anyone using iNaturalist?
It's a free app/website where you can upload images of bugs/critters/wildlife and map where you've spotted them. Either community or scientists can (and often do) identify what you've seen (a great way to interactively identify and learn the names of things you've seen in the garden or in the bush), and the cumulative data
can be used by scientists/researchers to track species distribution ranges, migratory patterns, numbers, etc...

Yellow-banded Dart
9043A29B-DD73-42A4-A599-44C944189E52.jpeg

Southern Marbled Gecko
E53DDCB7-936A-4025-8312-3C265525CF7E.jpeg

Some form of Genus Abantiades
91F498F9-4AFC-4978-B59B-D3DBCD45E453.jpeg

A form of Genus Rhipicera
11D9841E-9D80-46E8-88E5-8D2B69255427.jpeg

Southern Australian Paper Wasp
12BE7F35-20AF-40DD-83D2-C2CFF029435D.jpeg

Anyway, I've been finding it fun and like that it helps researchers find out what's out there!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Who knew Tawny Frogmouths came from moths ;)

That last pic are Paper Wasps, I try and leave them but they give you a decent sting when you are working in the vicinity of them. Mortien to the rescue.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

That last pic are Paper Wasps, I try and leave them but they give you a decent sting when you are working in the vicinity of them. Mortien to the rescue.
I had some on my front door just before leaving. I got them with Inox one night while they slept...fucked them up good. The door frame had a small oil stain, but I'm sure that will eventually fade away.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Paper wasps have set up camp about 50 cms from the bike shed door. We have had a relationship of mutual respect and kept distance from each other.

This approach hasn't worked for me in the past but I have no right to kill them either.

I hope they move out in winter. It sure is a busy hive right now.
20230225_163440.jpg

beeb

Paper wasps have set up camp about 50 cms from the bike shed door. We have had a relationship of mutual respect and kept distance from each other.

This approach hasn't worked for me in the past but I have no right to kill them either.

View attachment 397322
Do you lean the cactus in front of the bikeshed door when you go out? Pretty good security right there!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

View attachment 397322
Is that an ammak?

They hang out in a few of ours too. And dragon fruit.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Is that an ammak?

They hang out in a few of ours too. And dragon fruit.
I had to Google that one. I think it is one of those although I've only called it the cactus till now. :)

Would make picking dragon fruit a lot more interesting.

I have a feeling it will not end well with my waspy shed neighbours. They are watching and waiting........

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I had to Google that one. I think it is one of those although I've only called it the cactus till now. :)

Would make picking dragon fruit a lot more interesting.

I have a feeling it will not end well with my waspy shed neighbours. They are watching and waiting........
Euphorbia Ammak is actually a succulent, not a cactus. Don't get any of the sap on you, if you cut it, or accidentally break it. That stuff burns.

beeb

I have been using it for a couple of years to do native Orchid surveys. Great site. Very useful for working out what is flowering when so you know what to keep your eye out for.
I've only just started using the website proper, the seasonality feature was a welcome surprise for what you're describing.

Apparently, the developers consider the mobile app more for data-entry, and the website for the research/social aspects. Makes sense, but I'll confess the app still feels a little clunky in this modern world.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
No, this isn't the nudists thread. Don't get excited!

Is anyone using iNaturalist?
It's a free app/website where you can upload images of bugs/critters/wildlife and map where you've spotted them. Either community or scientists can (and often do) identify what you've seen (a great way to interactively identify and learn the names of things you've seen in the garden or in the bush), and the cumulative data
can be used by scientists/researchers to track species distribution ranges, migratory patterns, numbers, etc...

These are some of the things I've spotted recently (names to follow...)
View attachment 397310

View attachment 397311

View attachment 397312

View attachment 397313

View attachment 397314

Anyway, I've been finding it fun and like that it helps researchers find out what's out there!
I've got the app on my phone but haven't used it quite as much as I've used the FrogID app. Primarily, because I don't always have my phone with when I come across the beasts and bugs on our block. It is however quite a decent bit of gear.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Euphorbia Ammak is actually a succulent, not a cactus. Don't get any of the sap on you, if you cut it, or accidentally break it. That stuff burns.

Sounds like there is a way for @Mr Crudley to find out if this is indeed an ammak...don't get it in your eyes crudely! Just rub some on your penis.