In high lands - Two years later

atty

Has excellent taste.
One thing that's always interested me with the rear ward axle paths is the effect on successive hits. Surely in some situations forward travel into an oncoming bump would create a bigger hit than a wheel just going up and down.
Yeah, you can definitely feel the rear gets hooked up less than a conventional pivot design. It's all about conserving momentum - a forward axel path will absorb a lot more momentum compared to a rearward travel path. Check the graph below of the new and old Enduro, which is typical for conventional pivot designs - a lot of forward travel.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One thing that's always interested me with the rear ward axle paths is the effect on successive hits. Surely in some situations forward travel into an oncoming bump would create a bigger hit than a wheel just going up and down.
The forward travel is only during the rebound stroke, so unless you've somehow pushed it to bottom out over successive hits (where BB clearance would probably be the biggest real problem in that moment), the travel is always easier to initiate - especially compared to the forward-moving travel of conventional designs where if it's already past sag it's actually trying to pull forward into any lip you're contacting. Also, assuming you managed to suffer the secanrio above of multiple hits at near full travel on a rearward travel bike, you're still generally at an advantage as the wheelbase is stretched at its longest given maximum stability and balance.

Last edited:

atty

Has excellent taste.
@atty have you weighed yours?
Current weight is 15.4kg, Cushcores included.

The guys from Deviate have been kind enough to pass on a Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil - going to add another 300 grams but I'm not too fussed about that.

Also dropped my chain a couple times, so got my self one of those E13 lower chain guides that the Druid are fitted with.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

The guys from Deviate have been kind enough to pass on a Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil - going to add another 300 grams but I'm not too fussed about that.

Also dropped my chain a couple times, so got my self one of those E13 lower chain guides that the Druid are fitted with.

View attachment 371565
Thanks. Up there in weight but a solid build though. Those Kitsumas have all the adjustments!

Interesting on the dropped chain. Was mentioned on the Forbidden thread on MTBR that when testing they were dropping chains on the smaller frame sizes so included the lower guide for all sizes to stop it. Adds more friction to the system but probably not enough to be a concern.

atty

Has excellent taste.
Interesting on the dropped chain. Was mentioned on the Forbidden thread on MTBR that when testing they were dropping chains on the smaller frame sizes so included the lower guide for all sizes to stop it. Adds more friction to the system but probably not enough to be a concern.
I've been in discussion with Ben and Chris from Deviate and it appears my experience may be unique, based on the chat I'll have another look at the chainline - could be that .

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I've been in discussion with Ben and Chris from Deviate and it appears my experience may be unique, based on the chat I'll have another look at the chainline - could be that .
The only manufacturers to include a lower guide for their idler bikes are Forbidden and Craftworks. Hope the chain line sorts it for you.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

View attachment 371565
Are you going with a progressive spring or linear?

Also, is your chain length correct?

atty

Has excellent taste.
Are you going with a progressive spring or linear?

Also, is your chain length correct?
Shock comes stock with linear, bit see how I go, prob go a progressive spring down the track.

Could be a chain length issue. I'll take a better look. Cheers

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I haven't dropped a chain yet. You mentioned you were turning the clutch off on climbs, wasn't a result of forgetting to switch back on?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

I'm curious to how either spring is going to feel tbh. It's very linear to begin with and only really starts ramping up well into its travel.

atty

Has excellent taste.
I'm curious to how either spring is going to feel tbh. It's very linear to begin with and only really starts ramping up well into its travel.
The high volume Kitsuma air feels great and is fairly linear early in its stroke so I expect the coil to be similar.

@atty, anything you can share comparing air and coil shocks? Which do you prefer on the bike and why?
Can't say yet as I'm still waiting for the coil, but I expect the coil to be great. I will probably upgrade the spring to a progressive coil.

But to be honest, the air is already amazing, i'm just upgrading out of curiosity.

atty

Has excellent taste.
After waiting weeks for the new shock, I got impatient. Was notified that it could be a couple months until new stock arrives. So instead I opted for the in line coil over the Kitsuma coil.

After the long wait, the new shock arrived. I spent the night fitting, adjusting, installing the new chain guide ready to ride the following day. I woke up, pulled the curtains and all I saw was lot's of rain.

Anyway, better rain than drought. I'll keep you posted on ride impressions when weather permits. For now here are some photos.

Attachments

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
After waiting weeks for the new shock, I got impatient.
Looks awesome !

I suppose I am a bit impatient too, frame originally Dec delivery, then Jan delivery, then Feb delivery, 6 weeks ago it was next week, 3 weeks ago it was the beginning of the week, 2 weeks ago it will be there Monday... now 20 March and still nothing.

Frame fully paid for 6 weeks ago, will be a surprise when it rocks up... a bit like an AliExpress order, 1 week, 8 weeks... who knows.

Remained polite and informational but getting pretty fucking pissed off.

atty

Has excellent taste.
[QUOTE="ozzybmx, post: 3393487, member: 29442"
Frame fully paid for 6 weeks ago, will be a surprise when it rocks up... a bit like an AliExpress order, 1 week, 8 weeks... who knows.

Remained polite and informational but getting pretty fucking pissed off.
[/QUOTE]

Jeez, that's pushing it for sure.

Have you emailed Ben at Deviate?

The aus rep can be slow, but I've found ben to be punctual.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Jeez, that's pushing it for sure.

Have you emailed Ben at Deviate?

The aus rep can be slow, but I've found ben to be punctual.
I have (quite a few times more than I would like in the past 3-4 weeks) but I think he is under a bit of pressure, not trying to not hassle him too much ;)

The shipping idea he came up with has turned a bit pear shaped, don't know if its shipping times, delays, customs clearance or whatever.

The world is in a state of delay and I was ok with that but the decision to ship the frame to the distributor was a major fuck up.

It could have been with me 4-5 weeks ago with DHL express.

atty

Has excellent taste.
The world is in a state of delay and I was ok with that but the decision to ship the frame to the distributor was a major fuck up.

It could have been with me 4-5 weeks ago with DHL express.
Dam, the rep in aus does seem real slow from other experiences I've heard about. But, can say you're in for a treat when it arrives. are you going with air or coil shock?

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dam, the rep in aus does seem real slow from other experiences I've heard about. But, can say you're gonna in for a treat when it arrives. are you going with air or coil shock?
Can confirm.. it will make you notice all the feedback and noise from the trail you put up with.

And for a stout bike, it pedals so very well...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After waiting weeks for the new shock, I got impatient. Was notified that it could be a couple months until new stock arrives. So instead I opted for the in line coil over the Kitsuma coil.

After the long wait, the new shock arrived. I spent the night fitting, adjusting, installing the new chain guide ready to ride the following day. I woke up, pulled the curtains and all I saw was lot's of rain.

Anyway, better rain than drought. I'll keep you posted on ride impressions when weather permits. For now here are some photos.

View attachment 373361

View attachment 373360

View attachment 373359

View attachment 373362
Looking A1 atty, and I really like that guide. I've not dropped a chain yet thankfully.

I'm biased but they're such a beautiful bike.
The coil should rock your world!