I sweat too much - what to do???

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thread dig.

What's the latest for sweat monsterz?
I've got buffs, I've got a halo band, and I've tried a sweat gutr.
The halo band works the best, but only for the first half of my ride until it's totally soaked. I tend to also bring two pair of gloves in summer as they get soaked as well. Would love good glove options too.

What say you fellow salt mongers?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Thread dig.

What's the latest for sweat monsterz?
I've got buffs, I've got a halo band, and I've tried a sweat gutr.
The halo band works the best, but only for the first half of my ride until it's totally soaked. I tend to also bring two pair of gloves in summer as they get soaked as well. Would love good glove options too.

What say you fellow salt mongers?
A well vented helmet, think XC (Specialized Prevail or similar) and the Specialized Grail gloves are good, very thin with strategic padding and are still comfortable when damp/ wet

cammas

Seamstress
I‘m probably what you call an extreme sweater you know the guy that gets wet shoes and socks, even my saddle gets wet (mmm.... that doesn’t sound right?)
Anyway, the last couple of months to help in anyway possible I’ve gone with lighter colour gloves, helmet and trying jerseys as well, swapping from a black helmet and gloves to white ones with good ventilation, believe it or not has helped. I also got one of these cheap Chinese do-rags, as it’s made from a jersey like material it seems to work so far:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycling...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0
I suffer from fibromyalgia so my sweating is uncontrollable, so good ventilation on the helmet helps, depending on where I’m riding I will ride gloveless sometimes, especially with my jones bars. I have a similar problem when working in the garden so I’ve gone all wide brim hat and white out there as well. The other thing is weight which is what I’m working on to reduce my excess baggage to help out in that department too, trust me I’ve got plenty of that at the moment :rolleyes:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Will have a look at those sweat busters. Not sure I want something this fat in the front of the helmet though? I guess for $26 or so it's worth trying. Looks pretty agricultural though, like I could cut one up from an old microfiber towel... Hmm.

I‘m probably what you call an extreme sweater you know the guy that gets wet shoes and socks, even my saddle gets wet (mmm.... that doesn’t sound right?)
depending on where I’m riding I will ride gloveless sometimes, especially with my jones bars.
Yeah I get you. That's me too. Double damp. Extra moist.

I don't mind no gloves sometimes, but one or two laps in and I am wiping my hands on my jersey/shorts/dirt/tree bark all just to try and stop my sweaty mitts slipping off the grips.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Will have a look at those sweat busters. Not sure I want something this fat in the front of the helmet though? I guess for $26 or so it's worth trying. Looks pretty agricultural though, like I could cut one up from an old microfiber towel... Hmm.
Yeah they are a bit thick and if your helmet is a tight fit might be a bit of a shuffle to fit. I think they also make a skinny version now.

Thread on MTBR if you want to flick through:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/sweat-buster-review.879087/

They do seem basic but for me compared to the Halo it absorbed sweat from my forehead rather than redirect and it soaks a heap of sweat. Pretty gross at the end of a ride giving it a squeeze out.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Yeah they are a bit thick and if your helmet is a tight fit might be a bit of a shuffle to fit. I think they also make a skinny version now.

Thread on MTBR if you want to flick through:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/sweat-buster-review.879087/

They do seem basic but for me compared to the Halo it absorbed sweat from my forehead rather than redirect and it soaks a heap of sweat. Pretty gross at the end of a ride giving it a squeeze out.
There's your electrolyte drink. Just like a fruit spritzer, freshly squeezed.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I use the 'technical' cycling caps from Waltz caps - but any will do I guess. I find these better than cotton as it seems to facilitate evaporation more.

I find the bands and sponge type ones etc get overloaded too quick and the caps seem to disperse the sweat more.

I'm follicly challenged as well as being a sweater so if I don't ride with a cap I'm blinded by sweat very quickly (to the point the eyes sting so much I can't see, fun in traffic)

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I'm weird. If it's warm I sweat a little bit when riding but as soon I stop the sweat just pours off me... Started slowing right down to a walking speed when I'm 5m from home in a vain attempt to mitigate the sweat tsunami

Ackland

chats d'élevage
OK.... I don't do well in heat, I sweat too much and go into meltdown.

My tips (YMMV)

Number 1 - Buy the best quality vented helmet you can afford/justify - most of your heat will dissipate through the top of your head
Number 2 - Buy quality, breathable gear
Number 3 - Ditch any backpacks
Number 4 - Foam Grips - will be grippier for longer sans gloves (I wear gloves though)

"absorbers" like caps/doo rags/that weird helmet towel/sponge do ok when damp, not drenched as they increase surface area for cooling/evaporation but once they reach saturation point, all you're doing is breeding bacteria