I join the Banshee cult

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Don't think we need anymore Banshee photo in this forum, but I'll chuck mine in anyway as I regard it as my ticket to join the ever growing Banshee cult here. Plus, it's custom dream built, so why not.

I have ridden several enduro rigs, and this is by far the most confidence inspiring bike I've owned. I used to be the passenger riding down hard core steep stuff on the various old enduro rigs I have, praying the bike doesn't throw me off too hard if things go nuts. Well, not anymore! No regrets getting this bike. I wholeheartedly thank Banshee for ending my seemingly endless pursuit of finding an enduro rig that I truly likes.

The nerdy details:
Frame - Rune V3
Rear shock - Formula MOD, 325lb Nukeproof spring, orange CTS
Front shock/fork - Formula Selva coil 160mm, soft spring, blue CTS
Handlebars - Deity black label 760mm
Stem - Hope 50mm
Headset - No clue, come with the frame.
Grips - ODI rogue
Saddle - Fizik tundra
Seatpost - OneUp 150mm
Front brake - Hope E4 203mm rotor
Rear brake - Hope E4 180mm rotor
Cranks - Hope 165mm, 28T chainring
Pedals - XT clipless
Drivetrain - Microshift Advent X with KMC 10 speed chain
Wheels - Syntace W35MX
Tyres - Michelin Wild Enduro (F), Kenda Hellkat (R)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes! Love the choice of formula suspension! Do both the fork and shock have interchangeable shim stacks?

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Yes! Love the choice of formula suspension! Do both the fork and shock have interchangeable shim stacks?

Yes both shocks and fork. I think formula call it the CTS thingy. The fork comes with 2 CTS valves: gold and blue. I think there are like 7 different CTS valves for the fork. Shame you only get 2 with the fork, but formula said I can contact the local dealer to borrow the other CTS valves for free if I want to try them. I'm liking the blue one thus far.

The shock comes with all the 3 CTS valves available. I've only had 3 rides on the orange, and so far I'm loving it. Might swap out to the gold one which supposed to fit light riders better after I have more rides on the orange one.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
One thing I forgot to mention in the post is that the bike has not only converted me to be a banshee fan, but has also converted me into a formula fan. I used to shrug them off as their fork used to cost more than your standard Fox or RS, and many LBS doesn't seem to know much about them. But now that Fox and RS stuff has skyrocketed in price and that there are indeed official tutorials and guides on how to service formula stuff, I don't see the point of buying Fox and RS anymore - they don't ride as well anyway!

Also, the guys at formula in italy are very helpful. They'll reply to your query!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's such a sick system to allow custom tuned performance without the inconvenience and price tag that sending it away would cause.

It's amazing they'll let you trial the various CTS to find something suitable.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
That's such a sick system to allow custom tuned performance without the inconvenience and price tag that sending it away would cause.

It's amazing they'll let you trial the various CTS to find something suitable.

It was very easy to do as well. The shock only need 13mm socket and T25. The fork need a proper CTS tool from formula, but it comes with the fork anyway. I also must say that the fork also came supplied with the oil and top cap tool for you to do lower leg service yourself. I was over the moon as I hate buying custom tools just to do some service.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And you are indeed very welcome into the cult!
That's a beautiful looking bike and agree on the Formula suspension choices. It's great seeing alternative choices to the Fox / Rockshox duopoly.

How do you find the climbing? The V2 I found was excellent, and from what I hear V3 is even better.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
And you are indeed very welcome into the cult!
That's a beautiful looking bike and agree on the Formula suspension choices. It's great seeing alternative choices to the Fox / Rockshox duopoly.

How do you find the climbing? The V2 I found was excellent, and from what I hear V3 is even better.
I never owned a V2, but it climbs very very well. In fact, I haven't found much stuff I can't climb on the bike. Long xc ride can be tough with the bike, but it is so not bad.

I've been keen to try the formula stuff too. Would be good to have a review or general feedback after a bit more of a ride too.
After 3 rides on the mod shock and about 10 odd rides on the selva fork, on easy xc trail and gnarly enduro trail, they are both by far the best fork and shock I've had - and I have had all sorts including RS, Fox, CC, and Ohlins.

I'll get more riding time on the mod shock and then post a proper review of both.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't think we need anymore Banshee photo in this forum, but I'll chuck mine in anyway as I regard it as my ticket to join the ever growing Banshee cult here. Plus, it's custom dream built, so why not.

I have ridden several enduro rigs, and this is by far the most confidence inspiring bike I've owned. I used to be the passenger riding down hard core steep stuff on the various old enduro rigs I have, praying the bike doesn't throw me off too hard if things go nuts. Well, not anymore! No regrets getting this bike. I wholeheartedly thank Banshee for ending my seemingly endless pursuit of finding an enduro rig that I truly likes.

View attachment 381758

View attachment 381759

The nerdy details:
Frame - Rune V3
Stem - Hope 50mm
Grips - ODI rogue
Saddle - Fizik tundra
Seatpost - OneUp 150mm
Pedals - XT clipless
Wheels - Syntace W35MX
Did you get your frame locally? From a dealer?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 381758

View attachment 381759

The nerdy details:
Frame - Rune V3
Stem - Hope 50mm
Grips - ODI rogue
Saddle - Fizik tundra
Seatpost - OneUp 150mm
Pedals - XT clipless
Wheels - Syntace W35MX
BTW, I notice you are on a small. How tall are you?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Nice. Did you buy the Formula gear locally or OS? Supposed to be Selva 2 this month but think it’s been pushed back. Which CC shocks did you have? I have CC and Formula on a shortlist for my next bike.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
BTW, I notice you are on a small. How tall are you?
165cm. Contemplated going medium, but the guy from Rushys said it'll be too big. He was on the money. Small fits perfect.

Nice. Did you buy the Formula gear locally or OS? Supposed to be Selva 2 this month but think it’s been pushed back. Which CC shocks did you have? I have CC and Formula on a shortlist for my next bike.
OS. Unfortunately the price difference was way too much.
Hmm.. the selva 2 might be the reason why Formula stock for the selva 1 and the mod shock is pretty much depleted everywhere. They might be concentrating their workforce on the selva 2 instead of manufacturing selva 1 or the mod shock.
I had CCDB coil on the liteville before. While it was good, it is not as smooth and plush as the mod. I'll go for the mod if I'm given the choice. Plus, you can modify the shim stack on the mod yourself - huge bonus.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
@gippyz - you still liking that Mod shock? Any further thoughts? Been mulling it over since ze Germans have a few in the Prime's 185x55 size.

Do you mean above that you can modify the shim stack on one of the CTS valves to be different to the stock formula one?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
@gippyz - you still liking that Mod shock? Any further thoughts? Been mulling it over since ze Germans have a few in the Prime's 185x55 size.

Do you mean above that you can modify the shim stack on one of the CTS valves to be different to the stock formula one?
Yep still like it. I still maintain it's the best coil shock. Fox x2 that came with the rune is good, but it's not in the same league as the mod. Mod is so smooth and really absorb lots of the chatter on the trail. I've taken it down some sizeable jumps and drops, no problem at all. However, I've never ridden EXT, so can't compare with it. But given the price difference, I can never justify getting an EXT for myself. The only snag is that the knobs are very stiff to turn, and when installed on the rune, the orientation (have to be installed that way) made the rebound knob is extremely hard to access. Just bear that in mind if you are going ahead with it.

No. What I meant with the CTS is that it is the system that is equivalent to shim stacks in other shocks, except that it is much easier to install (to change your leverage curve) that you can do it yourself at home without voiding any warranty. The CTS system is unique to Formula. The mod shock comes complete with all the CTS valves available (3 in total, 1 pre-installed in the shock) as well as all the tools to change them. I found having the ability to change the leverage curve of the shock myself is super helpful as I'm constantly finding the standard shock tuning that come with small frames too light for me, and I'm not willing to pay shops to change the tuning for me (and consequently voiding the warranty). I'm currently using the medium CTS (meant for peeps > 70kg or so) despite weighing only 58kg, and running slightly lighter spring (325lb) than recommended. So far enjoying it. I've ordered 350lb spring, thinking 325lb is a tad on the soft side for me. Will report back when I get the spring - ze Germans are slow with their postage!

TLDR; go for it. Just bear in mind it'll be hard to reach the rebound knob after you install it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
TLDR; go for it. Just bear in mind it'll be hard to reach the rebound knob after you install it.
Cool, thanks.
Yeah, the rebound knob on the h3c shock I'm running has the same problem being stuck down in the "shock cage" of the v3 banshees. I just use a small stick to adjust it on the trail.