How wet is too wet?

Scott2227

Squid
I went for a ride this afternoon at Mill Creek in southern Sydney.

We’ve had about 3-4 inches of rain in the past 2-3 days but it wasn’t raining this afternoon.

There were puddles here and there, but nothing deeper than the tread of the front tyre. But in 40 minutes covering a decent amount of the trail area I didn’t see a single other bike, and the parking area, which I generally know to be rammed, was empty but for my car.

It made me wonder, as a newbie rider, should I not have gone out after that sort of rainfall?

I recently saw advice locally to ride through rather than around puddles, so I do, but I also don’t want to be damaging trails that people have worked hard to build if riding when they’re wet is going to do that.

Keen to learn. Cheers.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good on you for asking, the amount of rain a trail network can handle highly depends on the type of soil or substrate that it's made on and the type of fall or slope that brings the water away from the trail. Some trails drain the water better than others and just have one or two pools of water where it becomes quite soft. Just as a general rule of thumb if you're leaving indents of tyre marks behind on the trail it's way too soft. Some trail builders rather you ride through the middle of the puddle rather than the sides as it makes the trail unintentionally wider after 20 or so riders go to the side of the puddles.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Mill creek drains pretty well. And generally is ok. East Heathcote is ok after a bit of water too.

Just don't ride "Hit the Turps" jump line after rain, because it's much softer and doesn't handle it like the rest of the trails there.

Can always ask on the Facebook page for Mill Ck. The regular builders will often answer.

Scott2227

Squid
Thanks very much.

I follow Mill Creek Trail Assoc on FB but couldn’t see a way for followers to post on the page. Seems only the account itself can.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Regarding the lack of other riders around, it may have to do with the type of soil as @Flow-Rider pointed out.
But not only for the reasons he mentioned, there can also be a huge impact on your bike and maintenance. If it is a more gritty surface it will eat your drive-train and other components like nothing else.
Or they just thought it was going to rain again and are a little soft lol.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Mill creek drains pretty well. And generally is ok. East Heathcote is ok after a bit of water too.

Just don't ride "Hit the Turps" jump line after rain, because it's much softer and doesn't handle it like the rest of the trails there.

Can always ask on the Facebook page for Mill Ck. The regular builders will often answer.
This was pretty much my thought, most would be ok except for the jump line

LPG

likes thicc birds
As people mentioned it depends on the soil but also the steepness. I haven't ridden mill creek but the spots near it I've ridden are mostly sandy and sandstone which hold up really well to rain. Some of my local trails are steep and a clay soil which makes things very challenging and not good for the trails. I go further north where the trails get sandier when it is wet.