How to work out which fork offset is right for me

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I don't think 51mm has really been a thing in 27.5 for a while has it? 27.5 forks in RS have been 42 or 46 primarily, with 37mm added more recently.

29er stuff more 44/51.
There's always someone who has to bring logic into it. It was definitely the reason on my last 29er then...

moorey

call me Mia
Of course, can't find a 44 in stock farkin anywhere.

Looked at Pushy's, MTB Direct & Cyclinic. Any other Australian based retailers I could hit up? (Been a while since I shopped for parts anywhere else than Wiggle/Chain Reaction). Folks talk of ze Germans, is that somewhere I should be looking too?
You will have geoblocking issues in most places unless you have ways around it and a freight forwarder.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Depends on the frame. Old school, higher offset. The whole long low slack caper "requires" less offset.

The Orange has a 37mm offset fork and it still feels like the front wheel is 3 miles out in front of me - i reckon it would be not be very awesome with a higher offset fork. Steeper head angle though and you can experiment more I suspect.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I don't know anything but I reckon it will depend on head tube angle. Steeper head tube for me washes out easily, more pronounced as the wheels get bigger dia. More offset effectively slackens HTA. If you have a slack bike stick with 40 or so offsets.
Offset doesn't change HTA, it changes trail. The larger the offset, the smaller the trail and the sharper the steering, which you could also achieve with a steeper HTA. Also, bigger wheels increase trail which is why 29er forks generally have larger offsets, in order to compensate and peg back the trail.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Offset doesn't change HTA, it changes trail. The larger the offset, the smaller the trail and the sharper the steering, which you could also achieve with a steeper HTA. Also, bigger wheels increase trail which is why 29er forks generally have larger offsets, in order to compensate and peg back the trail.
Hence the use of the word effective.