How to work out which fork offset is right for me

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So I get the concept of fork offset and the influence of wheel base. But I'm not sure how to choose which offset I should get when I don't have the opportunity to test the range of options on the frame which I'm buying for.

I have my heart set on Lyriks - 150mm on a 140mm frame. They have options of 42, 44, and 51. The HA of the frame 66 & 65.5 with the flip chip.

My absolute fav riding style is flowy single track, but I like climbing as well and of course, everyone likes bombing downwards and hitting stuff with confidence.

I'm guessing that I just go with 44 as it won't be an extreme of either end and will probably do the job.

Should I be thinking about this in another way? How have others worked out which offset is for them without being able to test first?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Of course, can't find a 44 in stock farkin anywhere.

Looked at Pushy's, MTB Direct & Cyclinic. Any other Australian based retailers I could hit up? (Been a while since I shopped for parts anywhere else than Wiggle/Chain Reaction). Folks talk of ze Germans, is that somewhere I should be looking too?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The offset makes no difference that I can tell. Just another brilliant idea from the marketing department to make people want different stuff and sell more product. The best innovation since boost for sales I reckon.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Of course, can't find a 44 in stock farkin anywhere.

Looked at Pushy's, MTB Direct & Cyclinic. Any other Australian based retailers I could hit up? (Been a while since I shopped for parts anywhere else than Wiggle/Chain Reaction). Folks talk of ze Germans, is that somewhere I should be looking too?
I think you might find that Zee Germans won't send you any Rockshox forks? Certainly Bike24 and Starbike dont ship SRAM to these shores. Or at least they didn't last time I looked...?

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Funnily enough, I've taken a set of 150mm Fox Performance off my freshly delivered Levo SL to replace them with a set of 140mm PIKE Ultimates. But the Pikes are silver and my OCD about colour schemes is giving me thoughts of putting the inferior FOX back on and maybe selling the PIKES (which are brand new and came off a certain HYrax that someone might have bought recently)? I only say maybe though...just thought I'd put that teaser out there.

moorey

call me Mia
maybe selling the PIKES (which are brand new and came off a certain HYrax that someone might have bought recently)? I only say maybe though...just thought I'd put that teaser out there.
I assumed you guys had already discussed those and they weren’t available? They looked sublime on the Hyrax.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'd love some silver jobs on the Hyrax, but Lyriks only come in bloody red or black.

If those Pikes were 150mm, you might have had me whispering in your ear about them!

moorey

call me Mia
I'd love some silver jobs on the Hyrax, but Lyriks only come in bloody red or black.

If those Pikes were 150mm, you might have had me whispering in your ear about them!
It’s a 30 minutes, cheap job to swap air shafts.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@johnny - just to be the one voice of dissent here - I do think the difference in fork offset is noticeable (though probably not between 42 and 44). I don't think it'll change what you can ride, or overall speed or any measurable thing like that though.

To me 51mm offset feels "livelier" on turn in, but a bit less settled through the mid corner (particularly bermy corners). 44mm can feel a fraction lethargic on turn-in if you don't tip it in with some gusto, but is more settled mid-corner. I find this more settled feeling makes it feel like the 44mm offset offers more grip. It doesn't of course, but it feels "safer" at the limit of grip to me. My preference is 44mm offset for 29ers slacker than 66deg or so. Steeper than that and there's F-all in it.