How to work out which fork offset is right for me

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Of course, can't find a 44 in stock farkin anywhere.

Looked at Pushy's, MTB Direct & Cyclinic. Any other Australian based retailers I could hit up? (Been a while since I shopped for parts anywhere else than Wiggle/Chain Reaction). Folks talk of ze Germans, is that somewhere I should be looking too?
Could be wrong but I thought rockshox only did 42 and 51?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You don’t think it’s confirmation bias, @beeb?

Not saying it is. I’m definitely not the most tuned to my bike.
Fair question, but in this case not particularly.

When I had my second 5010 I changed from the (27.5" standard) 44mm offset to 37mm. It was a CSU swap, so fork travel and damper were unchanged. The difference was reasonably distinct. It felt like the contact patch moved rearward (by more than the offset change amount). The only way I can think to describe it is if I compared it to how your feet feel when walking - standard offset felt like having the grip under the "ball" of my foot, and reduced offset felt like it was almost under the heel. Forward felt more lively but also more uncontrolled, rearward felt better weighted, but less reactive.

FWIW - My mind doesn't generally go "Hey, this is better! Yay!" - it tends to search for negatives so it's more like "This aspect is less bad" which is why I'm such a chronic upgrader. Guess there's strong points to my pessimistic tendencies. :p

I don't think a 51mm offset fork will "ruin" the bike, just think the 44mm gives a smoother flowy feel which I prefer. Some hectic downhill types prefer 51mm for the snappier handling. I don't really care what anyone chooses to run, but don't think there's no difference between them either. Without running them back-to-back on the same bike no-one is likely to be able to tell any difference, but the differences are there - but are just nuances of an overall geometry packages that you either like or don't.

moorey

call me Mia
The ONLY time I know when I had 51 on the bike was pulling into the garage. My bikes have under 10mm clearance with 27.5. The 51mm offset fork JUST kissed the roof :p

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Funnily enough, I've taken a set of 150mm Fox Performance off my freshly delivered Levo SL to replace them with a set of 140mm PIKE Ultimates. But the Pikes are silver and my OCD about colour schemes is giving me thoughts of putting the inferior FOX back on and maybe selling the PIKES (which are brand new and came off a certain HYrax that someone might have bought recently)? I only say maybe though...just thought I'd put that teaser out there.
I could be teased. How teasy are we talking?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Scientifically when I bought my last fork I deliberately bought a 44 over the 51. As it was a mullet experiment there was a good chance I was going to sell it. I had noticed that the resale seemed to be a bit better on the 44 offset as it seems that’s what all the cool kids want to be on. So that’s what I bought.
I couldn’t tell any actual difference because I changed so much in mulleting the bike the difference in feel which was major could have any number of factors.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Scientifically when I bought my last fork I deliberately bought a 44 over the 51. As it was a mullet experiment there was a good chance I was going to sell it. I had noticed that the resale seemed to be a bit better on the 44 offset as it seems that’s what all the cool kids want to be on. So that’s what I bought.
I couldn’t tell any actual difference because I changed so much in mulleting the bike the difference in feel which was major could have any number of factors.
The pro gamer move here is to buy the 51mm offset on sale and when it comes time to sell, remove the sticker from the back of the lowers. Punters can’t tell the difference anyway.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The SC Hightower LT I had was bought in size Large because of the ETT over the Med.
I worked out the Med was too small with a 50mm stem but the Large would be perfect with a 35mm stem.

This bike came with a 51mm offset fork.

It was only after 3 decent crashes that I started to think about geometry and numbers a bit more. I was losing the front wheel on corners and in hindsight, I should have modified my stance on the bike to get more weight over the front. Most of my weight was on the back wheel and the short stem coupled with the 51mm offset fork was just pushing the front further away.

I sold this bike before coming to this conclusion and never got to try it with a smaller offset fork. Not sure if it would have felt any different but it certainly added to the problem by pushing the front wheel a 10mm further away over a 41mm offset fork.

moorey

call me Mia
I honestly thought 51mm was all but dead and buried*. I only recalled it commonly coming on some Reigns mid last decade. I just looked at all my current bikes. Every set of Lyriks is 42mm aside from Felix's new Ultimates in 44mm. None of my older pikes (2014-16 mainly) even list it. I think I must have sold the 51's.

*I haven't looked at new forks in a while TBH.

moorey

call me Mia
I sold this bike before coming to this conclusion and never got to try it with a smaller offset fork. Not sure if it would have felt any different but it certainly added to the problem by pushing the front wheel a 10mm further away over a 41mm offset fork.
I added more than 10mm when I fitted the 1.5 angleset......I did notice that, unlike fork offset.....but I suspect it was more confirmation bias on my behalf.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I honestly thought 51mm was all but dead and buried*. I only recalled it commonly coming on some Reigns mid last decade. I just looked at all my current bikes. Every set of Lyriks is 42mm aside from Felix's new Ultimates in 44mm. None of my older pikes (2014-16 mainly) even list it. I think I must have sold the 51's.

*I haven't looked at new forks in a while TBH.
Even on your XC hardtail? :eek:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Of course, can't find a 44 in stock farkin anywhere.

Looked at Pushy's, MTB Direct & Cyclinic. Any other Australian based retailers I could hit up? (Been a while since I shopped for parts anywhere else than Wiggle/Chain Reaction). Folks talk of ze Germans, is that somewhere I should be looking too?
Not the Lyric you want so kind of irrelevant - but NSD have DVO Diamonds in lurid green in a 44 offset:

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Big differance between 51 and 44 for me.
Lack of front wheel traction with 51
Regularly dumped on the ground mid turn before Id realise I'd lost the front end
44 much more traction and plenty of time to save the front end when it lets go.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Regularly dumped on the ground mid turn before Id realise I'd lost the front end
That comment resembles some of my riding experiences on the current ride - as in front wheel washes. Probably more due to my crappy technique than anything else, though.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Agree.
With the 51 offset understeer was easier to get into on my bikes compared back to back with a 44mm offset fork but with a 66 degree head angle it could be ok..depends.

Johnny, what's the chainstay length on this bike? And the reach? And the wheelbase? Rear travel? Or is the frame a secret for a big PYR reveal?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I honestly thought 51mm was all but dead and buried
I don't think 51mm has really been a thing in 27.5 for a while has it? 27.5 forks in RS have been 42 or 46 primarily, with 37mm added more recently.

29er stuff more 44/51.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't know anything but I reckon it will depend on head tube angle. Steeper head tube for me washes out easily, more pronounced as the wheels get bigger dia. More offset effectively slackens HTA. If you have a slack bike stick with 40 or so offsets.