How to remove stripped shock bolt??

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
We don't tolerate quitters 'round here.
When the Mythbusters guys couldn't get the result they wanted, they just added more firepower/T.N.T./detonators until there was a crater in the ground. I expect nothing less here either.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Alright the final tale of the MONKEY HAMMER!!!!

So had all day yesterday at work to think up new and more creative ways to drive out the stupid bolt and once home I tried them all and to no avail, this bolt was never coming out..... So

It's spark shower time baby.

Cut that stupid bolt out of the linkage so fast I wondered why I bothered trying everything else.

So now I have the shock out and just the nub of the threaded end in the linkage. From here it feels like the home stretch, dancing round the garage high fiving myself all the usual self congratulations for a job well done.

Start working on the threaded nub with some multigrips and it starts spinning, yes here it comes..... Crunch whole end just disintegrates and there is nothing to get purchase on.... Oh fk here we go again....

Drill through the bolt and try to thread another bolt in to turn it out. Nope not having that. Alright bolt all the way through and use a nut to tighten and twist it out, nice try numpte not happening .

So was home with a sick kids today and had some time on the phone so called the shop I got the bike from to see how the they are going with warranty on the bolt and to update them on the linkage situation. Great guys and emailed all the photos and low and behold Focus will replace the lot just have to wait 2 weeks for it to come in from Germany. Wasn't sure whether to laught or cry but at least its done..... For now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Is that a grinder nick in the end of the shock?
Nah I saw that in the photo to, it's just a bit of ali dust stuck to some grease. Only damage was a touch of the grinder on the bushing edge but nothing to worry performance and it's a $10 replacement anyway.