How to Manual, Wheelie and Endo

teK--

Eats Squid
RAD!

Timely thread dig, I did a proper wheelie session just yesterday arvo for the first time in ages, I am definitely going to persist and make it regular, I was in the sheer luck to get over 10m before yesterday. I did my longest ever wheelie on flat ground, around 30m, holding it with just enough brake feathering. I also did seat low, mid way and full height. The longest one was on the low setting, but by the end of the session I could get over 15m every time at any of the heights.
Aside from the regular practice and persistence.... I found setting up a mini tripod and camera was the best to get some sort of feedback loop. Either I am sitting too high or too far back, not enough stomp, etc etc. Otherwise I am just doing the same motion incorrectly over and over and getting frustrated.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Aside from the regular practice and persistence.... I found setting up a mini tripod and camera was the best to get some sort of feedback loop. Either I am sitting too high or too far back, not enough stomp, etc etc. Otherwise I am just doing the same motion incorrectly over and over and getting frustrated.
That's quite funny, my older neighbour was heckling me as I went up and down the cul-de-sac yesterday saying "you need a camera". When I said after the session "I reckon I got 30 odd metres" his reply was "nah, 22" :D Definitely gonna do that.

teK--

Eats Squid
Can anyone offer any tips on how to balance side to side?

I do the whole knees to left or right thing and it makes SFA difference. Once the bike starts leaning to one side it's all over.

I'm not particularly tall but I can see even short riders execute side balancing with knees quite easily. (That second video I linked)

Is it because I'm not sitting low enough to the tyre?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Have you got a roadie/commuter? Practice your track stands at lights, does wonders for the balance.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Anyone watched Kyle Warner’s YouTube channel?

He has done some excellent instructional vids on manuals, wheelies, bunny hops, drops, cornering etc., using his girlfriend as his student. Of the myriad of videos out there, Kyle does a great job of explaining technique and body position.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Anyone watched Kyle Warner’s YouTube channel?

He has done some excellent instructional vids on manuals, wheelies, bunny hops, drops, cornering etc., using his girlfriend as his student. Of the myriad of videos out there, Kyle does a great job of explaining technique and body position.
Watched the manual one. I'm about at April's level, maybe a bit better on doubles, just went for a practice on flat and looped out about 10 times :) Still grabbing way too much brake on wheelies. Getting the opposite side endo turns pretty good though.

Last edited:

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Can anyone offer any tips on how to balance side to side?

I do the whole knees to left or right thing and it makes SFA difference. Once the bike starts leaning to one side it's all over.

I'm not particularly tall but I can see even short riders execute side balancing with knees quite easily. (That second video I linked)

Is it because I'm not sitting low enough to the tyre?
I am by no means an expert in any of this, but I have spent the last 6 months practicing wheelies and manuals non-stop, so it's still front of mind. YMMV.

You might actually be sitting too close to the tyre and/or not standing up enough. This was certainly the case for me. Even after I (just quietly) became a wheelie pro, I still couldn't manual for more than 10m without going over sideways. All the videos tell you to do the reverse L and get low and back, but I personally found that gave me less leverage over the bike and no matter what I did I couldn't correct it. You might be the same.

Try this...

Instead of trying to manual by rolling along with your seat slammed like the videos tell you, try transitioning from a seated pedaling wheelie into a seated rolling wheelie and think about where your body is. Find a gentle slope and wheelie down it then stop pedaling.

Even for wheelies, the videos tell you to drop your seat but I don't think that applies to everyone. I am 6' riding a 29er and can hold a wheelie for 500m+ :rolleyes: until I lose concentration or my hands cramp up. For huge wheelies, I am only dropping my seat 1" from full extension and I am also sliding forward on the seat (higher vertically in wheelie mode). When I manual, I am only slightly further rearward to counter the input from the pedaling force, but no where near as low or rearward as the tutorials would suggest I should be .

I also think that the knees are a secondary motion. I balance with my arse/hips and I think my knees stick out and move around as a consequence of the hip movement, I certainly don't make an conscious knee movements.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also think that the knees are a secondary motion. I balance with my arse/hips and I think my knees stick out and move around as a consequence of the hip movement, I certainly don't make an conscious knee movements.
I find it the other way around, small balance movements I use my knees. If I get wildly off balance (wind) or want to turn I will slide the whole seat under my thigh using a big heave on the bars and hip movements. That's where the low seat comes in for me. Beyond that I start sticking legs out as well lol.
But agree Wheelies can be just as easy with a higher seat dropped only an inch or so. Easier to get the wheelie started that way, but it will be harder to turn though.

This was a shit video I made a couple of months ago, has a fare bit about wheelies in it.

teK--

Eats Squid
I am by no means an expert in any of this, but I have spent the last 6 months practicing wheelies and manuals non-stop, so it's still front of mind. YMMV.

You might actually be sitting too close to the tyre and/or not standing up enough. This was certainly the case for me. Even after I (just quietly) became a wheelie pro, I still couldn't manual for more than 10m without going over sideways. All the videos tell you to do the reverse L and get low and back, but I personally found that gave me less leverage over the bike and no matter what I did I couldn't correct it. You might be the same.

Try this...

Instead of trying to manual by rolling along with your seat slammed like the videos tell you, try transitioning from a seated pedaling wheelie into a seated rolling wheelie and think about where your body is. Find a gentle slope and wheelie down it then stop pedaling.

Even for wheelies, the videos tell you to drop your seat but I don't think that applies to everyone. I am 6' riding a 29er and can hold a wheelie for 500m+ :rolleyes: until I lose concentration or my hands cramp up. For huge wheelies, I am only dropping my seat 1" from full extension and I am also sliding forward on the seat (higher vertically in wheelie mode). When I manual, I am only slightly further rearward to counter the input from the pedaling force, but no where near as low or rearward as the tutorials would suggest I should be .

Thanks for the tip in the last couple of sessions I tried a combination of high, low, medium stance.

Low feels great, super stable but fairly limited in terms of leg range if I need to shift forward. Plus I risk my nuts getting dragged under the saddle if my shorts get caught.

High obviously very unstable and sketchy af.

I've settled on a firm stomp and mid height which gives nice leg bend and reasonly stable, but most of all very good range to weight shift:

teK--

Eats Squid
20 Hours in now so I thought to post an update. After trying all the different variations of body positions etc I've finally found a comfortable point now. Still need to work on side to side balance but am doing more drills now to intentionally steer the bike in either direction.

Here are a few vids showing progress at 5, 10, and 20 hours. Now at 12metres. Only 10 to go!

(Click play all to see them all together):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYIVZw8aXthxTUjEtXYAKC_j_stQbYVvq

Hope everyone else's practice is going well!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
20 Hours in now so I thought to post an update. After trying all the different variations of body positions etc I've finally found a comfortable point now. Still need to work on side to side balance but am doing more drills now to intentionally steer the bike in either direction.

Here are a few vids showing progress at 5, 10, and 20 hours. Now at 12metres. Only 10 to go!

(Click play all to see them all together):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYIVZw8aXthxTUjEtXYAKC_j_stQbYVvq

Hope everyone else's practice is going well!
Nice, you definitely got the pop going, just now need to dial in the balance and slight brake modulation now you're up.