how to loosen a fricken tow ball ??????

i just had a new tow bar put on my car to carry my bike rack ..

it seems hercules ( well a compressor drill anyway ) screwed the towball on and i cant get it to move for the life of me .. short of sourcing out a compressor drill to unlock the nut anyone got any tips on how to loosen it ?? ive banged the hell out of it and it wont budge

need a solution .. gotta get my bikes on the back of the car asap

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get a long hollow tube and put it over what your using to un-do it, preferably metal, as plastic will snap, and a bit of wd-40. usualy works for me.

dont have a pipe handy but i got the hammer , wrench and WD ... just given it a good squirt .. give it a while and have another crack

bloody hell its annoying the s%^& out of me .. it just wont budge

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Alright what you need is some potassium nitrate, sulphur and some pure charcoal. Now grind them all together in a ball mill, now you've got some gun powder.

Just chuck a bit of that in there a light, just make sure your bike isn't around, or anything else you don't want to replace.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
See if you can find some "Mouse Milk" (its actually called that).

We use it in the aircraft industry to loosen seized/tight nuts and bolts and it works every time.

Gets into extremely tight spaces allot better than WD40 etc etc.
A bottle will only cost you around $15-$20 as well. On top of that on the bottle it says "muscle in a hustle". What more can you want?

kudos

Likes Bikes
well heres what to do, #1; swear at it! (im guessing you have allready done this). #2 get the sledge hammer out and bash the shit out of it.
#3 pick up the parts of the floor and take them back to the shop.
#4 tell guy off and demand refund or exchange it for new one,
#5 succses , now go sit down turn on the tv and get pissed!

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remember that you are trying to un-do a nut from the bottom, so therefor looking from above it will appear you are trying to tighten it, but really you will be loosening it.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
fix a big shifter/spanner/wrench to the nut..then gaff tape it there. make sure its good and tight and pointing so you would be pulling away from the back of the car to loosen it. Attach chain/cable or similar to end of wrench (a big shifter will work well cause it has an eye at the end of the handle.)
Attach other end of chain/cable to house, other car, large pole.. drive car away.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fix a big shifter/spanner/wrench to the nut..then gaff tape it there. make sure its good and tight and pointing so you would be pulling away from the back of the car to loosen it. Attach chain/cable or similar to end of wrench (a big shifter will work well cause it has an eye at the end of the handle.)
Attach other end of chain/cable to house, other car, large pole.. drive car away.
are you serious?

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Heat the nut NOT the bolt, cherry red, then lean on it with the correct size socket and breaker bar. Repeat until success
Alternative - Get the trusty 4" angle grinder and grind away one side of the nut until the bolt thread becomes visible, by which stage the the nut will have split due to internal pressure, allow to cool then undo by hand:D

matt.l

Likes Dirt

You will burn out the clutch or blow a diff

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Buy a stilsons wrench, and man the fuck up. Leverage is your friend. Seriously, a stilsons wrench will loosen anything when used corrrectly. Ask at bunnings or wherever for one.

red death

Likes Bikes
You will burn out the clutch or blow a diff
no he wont, I've done it, comes off easy, so much more torque than you could get even with a long pipe extension. Just be sure to chain the end to something REAL solid. (the side of your house aint good enough, try a tree trunk a metre or more in diameter. :)