How to jump proper.

Would love some advice on how to jump and land properly. All year, nearly every day, I've been smashing down trails at lightening speed, hitting the occasional speed whoop, having a ball.
But then.
I went to a large set of jumps in a bendigo national park recently, couldn't land a jump for the life of me, now I'm sitting here scratched and bruised wondering how you guys do it?!
Do I just start on tiny jumps, and work my way up? I sort of get the basics of launching off the lip, and landing on the back wheel, but is that all there is to it?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Landing with both wheels touching down at the same time is normally the best way to do it, unless ur hucking huge drops bender style.

Start small, work your way up. BMX/4X tracks are good places to learn.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
California Gully has a small BMX track that would be good to practice.

Eaglehawk also has a nice bmx track for that, although abit bigger.

Jumps wise this town is full of them John:

Behind my place has some nice small ones and a nice fly out to sand bank to practice getting your technique. I have to fix it though, moties got busy a while ago.

Smallish railways set, bout 2-3km from my place.
20g -home of bmx really.
Spring gully council jumps- proper DJs.
demolished set near the station gone.
Some at kennington.
eaglehawk jumps.
And theres another 2 sets that escape my mind at the moment.

edit: excuse the at best sketchy arse riding/stuffing around but this is out the back of my place for johns reference, feel free to practice there man:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._188099986454_646436454_3320982_5364730_n.jpg

Last edited:

ordie

Likes Bikes
hey senth could you shoot me a pm were those jumps are to would love to hit them

Last edited:
Yeah, start small. Unless they're tables, in that case go for your life.

I agree 4X and BMX tracks are the best place to build up confidence. I dunno if this is the right technique here but it works well for me ( If its wrong please tell me). If has a good kicker (one that shoots you up heaps) I pull up heaps. If it doesn't have as gooder kicker (one that shoots you forward more than up) I just hit it with speed and pull up a little. I dunno if this is the right way to jump but it works for me.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Pace yourself

Hey mate,
Im starting to get into jumping more and I am not the most fearless bloke.
At the moment, I've done all of our local jumps and I've started to have a go at bigger and bigger jumps each week.
I personally reckon that its best to pace yourself and take the precautions.
Although at times, its good to push yourself.
When I stop and look at the jumps I do, I'm in shock that I actually jumped it.

Good Luck mate :)

mitchbike

Likes Bikes
when i land i always try to land on both wheels equally. i think it is the best why to land so you dont get a huge jolt