How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Minlak

custom titis
Quick question to those using Davinci Resolve Free version?
What sort of system are you using? It seems to have very high min specs.
@Minlak @Isaakk

I have a 10th gen i7 8 core, 16gb ram and a 6gb gpu, but its recommending i9, 32gb ram etc!
Just don't want to bother downloading if it's not going to run well enough to do our basic edits.
I'm hoping the huge spec requirements are only if basically using it for pro work?
You dont need that high a spec to run it - Just dont preview video in 4k and it will be fine - There are some videos somewhere about running on lower spec.

I use I7 9th Gen 16GB ram 512 NVME ssd and GTX 1070 6GB video card

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick question to those using Davinci Resolve Free version?
What sort of system are you using? It seems to have very high min specs.
@Minlak @Isaakk

I have a 10th gen i7 8 core, 16gb ram and a 6gb gpu, but its recommending i9, 32gb ram etc!
Just don't want to bother downloading if it's not going to run well enough to do our basic edits.
I'm hoping the huge spec requirements are only if basically using it for pro work?
I have an i7 8700k, 32GB ram and a GTX 1080 Ti & it seemed to run just fine (as i'd hope it would!). i9 recommended seems overkill to me if only cutting together GoPro or other simple footage + previewing at lower res, I don't see why even an i5 or equivalent wouldn't be enough (even if it is a tad bit slower). Working with an even lower spec system shouldn't be a huge issue, and can use a proxy footage workflow if needed too.

I use Premiere Pro mostly, runs more than well enough with the above specs & have also edited a little on my Surface Pro in the past too - though exporting was orders of magnitudes slower on that.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Seems intensive or at least asking for very high spec that it may not need.
My comp sounds exactly the same as yours @Chriso_29er , i7 10700k, 32gb, GTX1660s...I can watch 4K preview and edit raw 4K on my program without a flicker or stutter. Different program though.

Rendering processed 4K doesn't max out my processor or graphics card.
Ram hits 11gb at highest, adding an additional 2 x 8gb sticks to the 16gb I already had was a waste for my spec.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
My pc specs are similar to Minlak's and I have been using Resolve just fine - although I hated the final render times as I was storing the vids on a normal platter HDD but I just installed a 2nd M.2 SSD which I will do all future stuff from and expect the preview/render times to drop a bit.

If the vid when previewing is a bit choppy just set it to render in a lower quality (50 or even 25% of full res) and you will be fine.

Being free it doesn't hurt to try out as well :)

Minlak

custom titis
My pc specs are similar to Minlak's and I have been using Resolve just fine - although I hated the final render times as I was storing the vids on a normal platter HDD but I just installed a 2nd M.2 SSD which I will do all future stuff from and expect the preview/render times to drop a bit.

If the vid when previewing is a bit choppy just set it to render in a lower quality (50 or even 25% of full res) and you will be fine.

I use Cuda cores to render - I get about 12fps in a 4K render currently - So some of my videos are set and go for nap :)

ozzybmx

Free is always good ;)

A dedicated high end graphics card seems to be the big difference item. I have a check box on my program, it asks if I would like to use high speed render.
It auto checks it by default but if I uncheck, it uses system RAM and not the GPU, its probably 10 times slower.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

yeah that is where mine is a little behind, still running a 980ti which is fine but plans for a 3080 this year are on hold for obvious reasons
You dont need to go crazy on the GPU, I watched a video on 4K rendering and they had all these massive recommendations, 4-6GB GPU is plenty, IRRC mine sits around 4GB when rendering processed 4K with overlays (overlays is text and transitions).

Dangals

Likes Dirt
You dont need to go crazy on the GPU, I watched a video on 4K rendering and they had all these massive recommendations, 4-6GB GPU is plenty, IRRC mine sits around 4GB when rendering processed 4K with overlays (overlays is text and transitions).
oh I know, just will be using for other work related things as well as games. Like I said the 980ti is no slouch but a new card with more/better cores will go a long way to help reduce render times

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Best thing you can do to speed up editing 4K vids with Resolve if you have a slower machine is to generate optimised media. I edit on an I7 2600k (old AF these days) and it's fine for me. Takes a bit to do it, but works well

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Anyone else got the Max lens mod? Mine just arrived from pre-order. Got rotted though, couldn’t order the spare battery and charger when I got the hero 9 as they had no stock. Tried to order it with Lens mod. Says shipment of battery not possible without camera being shipped at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Anyone else got the Max lens mod?
As far as I am aware, none of us here who comment regularly have the Max Lens Mod. It sold out straight away.

Will be keen to hear what you think of it. Post up a vid or two and give us your opinion :)

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I finally got round to downloading Davinci Resolve.
Boy does it seem to make a difference to the quality YouTube ends up with once uploaded.
I haven't even played with the optimal settings as outlined earlier in this thread yet, but a 2.7K 30fps video has uploaded much nicer than my usual videos! Particularly noticeable with pov videos.

Minlak

custom titis
In case some of you were not aware of GoPro Labs the DC Rainmaker video helps a lot - plenty of new features that you wont just get in a firmware update

tobbogonist

a registered member
Is there any particular micro sd card preferred for use with the Gopro. I treated myself to a hero 9 just as covid hit, everything has been a bit hectic since and only now starting to find myself with time to utilise the delightful little thing.
Absolute night and day over my gopro hero 3, mind you that was used mostly to record comedy shows and the odd weekend adventure.

ozzybmx

Is there any particular micro sd card preferred for use with the Gopro. I treated myself to a hero 9 just as covid hit, everything has been a bit hectic since and only now starting to find myself with time to utilise the delightful little thing.
Absolute night and day over my gopro hero 3, mind you that was used mostly to record comedy shows and the odd weekend adventure.
Sandisk Extreme. Cheap as chips.

Interesting the 64gb is cheaper than the 32gb :D