How to How to GoPro.... Bible

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So they drove around for an extra day with my package and delivered it at 8:30am this morning... just as I got off to sleep after my last nightshift.

Then when I seen who the final contractor used to deliver the UPS package, which went from the factory in Singapore to Melbourne in <24hrs and got shuffled around Aussie style since last Friday for 5 days.

sdfasdasfd.jpg

Minlak

custom titis
Annnnddddd I am back - decided on GoPro Hero 11 and a heap of accessories - was only $90 for dual enduro battery with charger so was pretty cool - got the media mod pack this time too - waiting in a windsock and I should be set.
Will be filming Thursday with luck and a video to come soon after explaining it all.

Minlak

custom titis
Grab yourself a foam cover from AliExp, they are really good at eliminating wind noise altogether.

I have 2 coming and didn’t want to wait that long they should be here tomorrow- mainly wanted the media mod pack to be able to put a microphone inside a helmet for motorcycles

ozzybmx

FYI - My final(ish) settings on the Hero11.

Been messing with them for weeks now.

Have discovered after 10 cameras that GoPro have finally fixed the EV Comp, before the 11 running it on -0.5 or -1.0. It works well on zero now with sunlight.

I have highlighted White Balance as thats the last one I'll try next week, some people are saying 4500 or 5000. I'll try 5000 and 6000 for comparison.

Grab yourself a foam cover and turn off all wind assist functions.

ghdgdh.jpg

I gave the 'natural' colour setting a really good go but it bleaches sunlit trail to white and makes Aussie dirt trails very orangy.

Here is a vid I put on YouTube with the 'natural' colour setting, I'll go back and reshoot it at some stage. Natural colour is too rich.

Minlak

custom titis
I used the settings that Loam Ranger suggested - When I go inside it is too dark to see anything on the video lol - This is the closest camera I have seen to being almost able to point and shoot out of the box

ozzybmx

I used the settings that Loam Ranger suggested - When I go inside it is too dark to see anything on the video lol - This is the closest camera I have seen to being almost able to point and shoot out of the box
The old Foam Ranger has got his nose out of joint but really trying not to be too biased.
He's now sponsored by Insta360 and trying his hardest to compare the 2 without giving massive props to the GoPro, problem being his sponsored Insta is way off.

I have tried shooting with low sharpness but its absolutely shit.

He's hooting through shadowy forests in low light and persevering with -0.5 or -1.0 EV comp, f#%k we're in sunny Australia, out in the open and running it on 0 EV.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Remember these settings aren't meant to be 'set-and-forget' - as with all photography and making video, you're supposed to make adjustments on every shoot to account for light, movement and subject matter.

ozzybmx

Remember these settings aren't meant to be 'set-and-forget' - as with all photography and making video, you're supposed to make adjustments on every shoot to account for light, movement and subject matter.
The new GoPro has a simple mode enabled straight out of the box.
To be able to mess with settings, you actually have to change the default setting.

Once set as above, small adjustments to the EV comp and ISO max may be needed for low light or a dusk ride.

Remember this is only one of the Profiles called 'BIKE' and will do as posted above for 99% of my rides.

I don't use the GoPro for anything else but bike videos anyway.

This is a bike forum @Tubbsy ;)

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Interesting findings yesterday.

The white balance lock in on the GoPro is pretty important as it wanders badly in Auto.

Reckon I'm liking 5000k better than what 'they' suppose is natural daylight 5500k.

Same track for all 3 runs.

Minlak

custom titis
So I have started recording with 10 bit on - it gives way better footage and is meant to be better to edit with the problem is that the camera gets super hot - to the point of after a 90 minute video the camera turned off due to heat and would not turn back on until cooled - Gets hot to touch real quick with 10 bit on - other problem is the file sizes end up huge - 30 minute upload to you tube in 10 bit 13gb 0 render time was 30 mins - With 10 bit off render is 12 minutes and file is around 1.29 gb lol

ozzybmx

So I have started recording with 10 bit on - it gives way better footage and is meant to be better to edit with the problem is that the camera gets super hot - to the point of after a 90 minute video the camera turned off due to heat and would not turn back on until cooled - Gets hot to touch real quick with 10 bit on - other problem is the file sizes end up huge - 30 minute upload to you tube in 10 bit 13gb 0 render time was 30 mins - With 10 bit off render is 12 minutes and file is around 1.29 gb lol
Yeah big files but awesome colours and footage.

I have never shot a 90minute video before, ever :oops:

4-7 minute trail ride max, usually my files are 20-60 seconds of someone riding a section or TTF.

Are you moving/riding when shooting and getting hot ?

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah big files but awesome colours and footage.

I have never shot a 90minute video before, ever :oops:

4-7 minute trail ride max, usually my files are 20-60 seconds of someone riding a section or TTF.

Are you moving/riding when shooting and getting hot ?
Nah the camera is stationary - So far the worst ones are when I am doing install videos for the motorbikes - Something will go wrong or I will be working something out and just leave the camera running as I will chop it out in editing - yesterday was a skid plate and the instructions being called vague would be a compliment so 120 mins recording in total for a 30 minute video :)

On the bike when moving I often do an hour but not since I moved to 10 bit videos - Also noticed the card reader gets super hot as well transferring the files as they are so big :) Be lucky if I dont kill the SD card at this rate :)