How to buy a car

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Strongly recommend doing some reading on owner experiences of MG. I wouldn’t buy one on principle (note that MG is not just made in china , but is CCP owned).
For sub 20k with 7 years warranty, you cant expect Toyota reliability, they are going to have small issues.

Even being a man of principles, if you removed all the Chinese made items from your life right now, you be standing half naked with no phone, parts of a European car and half a house with no electronics or appliances.

We wont bother recommending AliExp to you for cheap good bike stuff ;)

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
For sub 20k with 7 years warranty, you cant expect Toyota reliability, they are going to have small issues.

Even being a man of principles, if you removed all the Chinese made items from your life right now, you be standing half naked with no phone, parts of a European car and half a house with no electronics or appliances.

Yea nah it’s not just the made in china thing. Lots of companies make stuff in China. It’s the actual company ownership.

But if people are happy handing over 20k plus to fund human rights abuses , BS trade restrictions on Australian products , Covid cover ups and aggression towards Taiwan who am I to stop them .

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

You peeking?

ozzybmx

But if people are happy handing over 20k plus to fund human rights abuses , BS trade restrictions on Australian products , Covid cover ups and aggression towards Taiwan who am I to stop them .
Not many countries on the face of the earth have a clean slate.

Taking it you don't want to travel to China, USA, Europe, Africa, Russia, South America etc... enjoy the NZ trip or Canada if you can get there without landing in said countries.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
If wifes a nanny wouldn't car cleaning maintenance be Tax deductible?
Work Lease package work for you? No longer tied to mileage and you can buy 2nd hand up to 5 years old.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If wifes a nanny wouldn't car cleaning maintenance be Tax deductible?
Work Lease package work for you? No longer tied to mileage and you can buy 2nd hand up to 5 years old.
It's not just the cleaning, it's literally pulling off bits of trim! Little bastards.

Going to investigate the leasing thing but not sure my work does it.
Reliability is pretty high on my list, even in the good old days MG has never been a byword for reliability!

slimjim1

For some reason I get a lot of MG ads on my FB, there’s a lot of unhappy people waiting a long time for parts etc and complaining about the customer service. So whilst warranty is good it’s a bit meaningless if your without a car for weeks or longer.

Funny thing I noticed as well is that the ads will regularly have the comments drop back to zero. No surprises about censorship by a CCP owned company.

Also lots of people waiting to get their cars much longer than expected. There was an article in SMH about a month ago about imported cars stuck in quarantine for weeks or months due to biohazard issues . No prizes for guessing which country of origin was way out in front on that
Edit https://www.drive.com.au/news/quarantine-crisis-deepens-thousands-cars-stranded/

Note the part about the 1000 MGs being sent back due to snail infestation

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Can you buy ex-lease cars these days?

Back in our young family daze, I used to buy ex-corporate lease Fairmonts (an old mans car, but come with most of the mod cons of the era) with 40 to 60 thousand Ks on them, just run in, for well under half price of new. Keep in mind, I’m not a car guy, so I couldn’t care less what I drive. There was a place in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, and that’s all they sold. They all had a full service history, driven meekly by old men… perfect. I’ve had six of them. EB2, EF2, AU2, BA, BF, and last model Territory… and all were faultless, and did between 300 to 350 thousand Ks, with regular servicing, before moving them on. Still have the Territory and hope to get a couple more hundred out of it, fingers crossed.

For my three daughters, I helped them into low kilometre Toyotas or Kias. A good mate is a motoring writer, and he recommended that is what I looked for. He also recommended the ex-lease Fords. Anyway, the kids cars were obviously smaller cars, and all were previously driven by very old people and all had a full service history. My two eldest are on their second one… but I had time on my side and was able to set low k, etc search criteria in carsales, etc, to weed out the clangers.

Good luck.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Well, I was a kid and I would have been skinned if I trashed the back of Dad's car... And my nephew didnt make a mess in my brother's car either. A small sample size perhaps, but not sure letting them run feral in the back is the only way to do it?
Even kids who aren't running feral add to the wear and tear. Car seats strapped into a seat for the first 8 years of their life, getting in while dirty, sandy or wet etc.add up. How many hours have you had your back seats occupied in the last year? Just people back there makes a difference. And there is of course the fair chance that they do end up running feral occasionally for some reason.

ozzybmx

For some reason I get a lot of MG ads on my FB
Dont dis the Chinese, they are tracking you already.

There was an article in SMH about a month ago about imported cars stuck in quarantine for weeks or months due to biohazard issues . No prizes for guessing which country of origin was way out in front on that
Edit https://www.drive.com.au/news/quarantine-crisis-deepens-thousands-cars-stranded/

Note the part about the 1000 MGs being sent back due to snail infestation
At this rate, each quarantine cleaning team can only process about 350 new cars per week; Australians buy new motor vehicles at a rate of 21,000 cars per week.
I recently bought the missus an Atto3 EV, it sat at the Melbourne docs for 3-4 weeks waiting on the biohazzard wash.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Even kids who aren't running feral add to the wear and tear. Car seats strapped into a seat for the first 8 years of their life, getting in while dirty, sandy or wet etc.add up. How many hours have you had your back seats occupied in the last year? Just people back there makes a difference. And there is of course the fair chance that they do end up running feral occasionally for some reason.
Dunno, we had the one car the whole time we were kids and the back seats never got damaged… But Dad loved that car and we were taught to not trash it.

slimjim1

I suppose if you get a snail infested interior you won’t be so precious about the kids trashing it

Flow-Rider

Burner

A lot of the manufacturing is leaving China, even the workers. Be prepared to start paying double for bike stuff.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From a finance perspective , do you want to own it , buy it or lease it ?
How much is realistic budget ?
would you tip in ‘savings ‘
is using equity in home an option ?
( home will appreciate about as fast as a car will depreciate)
Can work assist - novated lease etc , but it’s a shitsandwich as after July 1 lots of rules change - luxury car tax allowance goes up , ev allowance increases also .
Is an ev viable option ?

if you just wanna car , find a late model dealership with stock - talk to the business manager about finance options .

first rule of fight club is .

NO Matter what , do not sign on the day unless super desperate or the deal is so hot you catch fire .

Always have a ‘ person who approves this ‘

your wife, one of the kids , the dog , a bloke down the road - doesn’t matter always walk away and go home to think it thru - no matter what it’s a lot of money ,and salespeople do it every day , you do it one e every few years .

Make a list what’s important to you and family - include “ howmuchizzit ‘
and there are lots of cars , but only one you - it’s your hard earned cash , treat like your firstborn, or your virginity ….some one is trying to take it from you .

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm a bit late to this one.

If you can, get a novated lease on a plug in hybrid or EV. You won't get charged fringe benefits tax or stamp duty. This means you are paying for the car with pre tax income. Depending on your marginal tax rate, this will save you lots. E.g. my wife is saving $25k in tax over 2 years on our EV plus the $10k a year in fuel and servicing we are saving by parking our disco up.

If you must get something now, Mitsubishi and MG seem to have cars in stock. If you can wait a couple of months the BYDs seem to be very good.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

If you can wait a couple of months the BYDs seem to be very good.
Got your Atto3 now ?

What are you thoughts on this one then? I’ve been looking at the Atto. But wondering if just better to pay up for a Tesla/Kia/Hyundai ev instead?.
My missus loves it, she's done about 1500km on it so far. As above, it's FBT free to lease an EV where you pay FBT on a normal car. They are $15k cheaper than others and a small SUV size, equivalent to the $75k Model Y which we needed for clearance.
No regrets at all... and I got to sell her Prado and squirrel those nuts away for bike stuff ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...it’s your hard earned cash , treat like ... your virginity ….some one is trying to take it from you .
That would be terrible advice to give a 'eager' young male.

He'd buy about 5 cars in 45 minutes and then walk out crying once he realised who really just got f**ked. :p

On topic though: Consider second-hand Kia Sportages (or Cerato) if you can live with a "small" (lol) hatchback. Buying a 5yo Kia will still have 2 years of transferable factory warranty, and both models mentioned (I believe but haven't checked) have been quite reliable as long as well serviced.