How much stantion should be showing between top and bottom c

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much stantion should be showing between top and bottom crown? I just picked up my boxxer race fork and it came iwht a 2 inch drop crown. My headtube is only 5inches long which basically leaves 3 inch showing.

My bighit is a small. Anyone else running a drop crown with a small big hit?

Anyone got a smaller crown willing to swap? This one is brand new.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I have the Drop crown all the way down so the head angle is slackest then yer, the Drop hits before the legs by about a cm (measured from frame to Big rubber bumper). I haven't been able to move the bottom crown yet as it has been done up shit tight and I realy don't want to touch it with my SK allen keys but there is 7.5inch below the stanchion which is where I would like it anyway.

Doogs

Likes Bikes
it's in the manual. dont remember specific amount, but obviously if you have more than 7in below bottom crown you are set.

S.

ex offender
Doogs said:
it's in the manual. dont remember specific amount, but obviously if you have more than 7in below bottom crown you are set.
Only to a point, if the bottom crown is clamping too high then it can be clamping on the non-reinforced part of the staunchion I think (I know this is the case with Marz forks, pretty sure it applies to Boxxers).

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
if the drop is hitting your frame then your doing to ding if up badly if you stack it. and the fork twists. just ask the shop if rock shox can send up i differant one 1in i guess. i don't no.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
im not sure but i think that the 2in drop is standard on the races arn't they. 3 of my mates have them and they all got the 2in drop. i don't know still.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, essentially you want as low a stack height as possible without the crown hitting the frame. Im running a pair of teams on my norco. It has a ht of just over 5inches and a stack height (including the headset cups) of just under an inch and a half. I use a drop crown and it claps on pretty much so all you can see at the top of the stanchion is the chamfer. If i was to really stack it hard and compress the bumper the crown *may* hit the frame....but id be more worried about me after one that hard.

From the sounds of it, you would need the drop crown and be running about the same stack height as me with a head tube as long as yours. Although headset does come into play, the blackspire i have on the norco has a lower cup height than the hope that i had on the stinky, soo, this means that the lower crown was pushed down further on the stinky than it is now which also affects all the lengths. The best way to find out is to pull the stem and top crown off, and play around with a few spacers in there and hope you still have enough steerer tube length left.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Doogs said:
Only to a point, if the bottom crown is clamping too high then it can be clamping on the non-reinforced part of the staunchion I think (I know this is the case with Marz forks, pretty sure it applies to Boxxers).
No i dont think this applies to boxxers the stantions look the same alle the way down inside and outside so i dont think this matters

My boxxers have 138mm stanchion showing between top and bottom crown
Ive got the 2 inch drop crown on a large big hit and i have a 5mm spacer below the top crown on the steerer tube
hopefully that helps

good choice with forks, hopefully they treat you well
i reckon they work great with the bighits :)

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanx for all your help, still not sure what I am going to do. Just need to muck around a fair bit I reckon

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Checked out the RS manual and it says that if 160mm Headtube and Headset stack should be more than 160 for drop crown, less than that for normal so looks like I am out to find a normal crown now... I could use the drop crown with a large stack of spacers but I am realy not keen on that at all.

Anyone got a non drop that they are willing to swap?

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, if you can get the right amound of space between lower crown and tyre with the low pro crown then use that...lower stack heights are better anyway.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shmity. That is why I am trying to get the normal, not drop crown. CAsue it is too big and I would need alot of spacers.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crown above my stem... Interesting concept... it would work.. Just would it ilke be detremental to the strength or anything? Anyone done it?

Doogs

Likes Bikes
hey turly, heaps of people do run the drop crowns with small bighits, to stop your frame getting dinted, just cover the crown in rollbar padding, or extend the bumb stops. i've put some rubber and stickeyed em on.
works ok.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone got hte actual value of the amount of stantion that is needed below the bottom crown? I couldn't find it in the RS manual but I will keep looking. I checked out the Stem under hte top crown and I will need to move the bottom crown down abit so it is below the chamfer.. but I think it should fit. If anyone has a photo of a small big hit with a drop crown, can you send us the link/photo so Ic an see how they got everythign setup. Thanx

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah, i cant run the flat crown, i have to pull the stanchions up too much and it only gives me 6inchs of actuall stanchion length below the bottom crown...even with no stack on there.