How does Stromlo look for Saturday?

styler

Likes Dirt
Looking at heading to Stromlo tomorrow but I'm a bit concerned conditions are going to be far from ideal. Looking for local feed back on the trail and weather. Any feedback would be appreciated.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I can't say for trail surface but I'm sitting here, about 5km away from the trails, where I sit every day, and the sky looks the same as it has for two weeks plus now - grey with water coming from it.

I'd expect the bermed sections of luge and other like sections to be pretty boggy by now and I'd expect the lower, flatter sections to be very boggy as well. I'd also expect lots of puddles and given the sandy consistency of Stromlo that can be a killer for drive trains.

I won't be riding there until we've had at least 3 dry, sunny days strung together and that's something we haven't seen for a couple of weeks now.

I doubt there is any worthwhile riding in Canberra at the moment. Haven't had the brutality that Sydney has experienced but we've had a mad lot of water over the last few weeks descend on us here.

It's also cold.

Kramer

FoBR
I had a quick fang at Stromlo Wed night (before rain) was pretty good with a few little puddles and patches of sand/slit from recent rains in lower areas. Even suprisingly dry and drifty in places!

Bruce Ridge on Thurs was good with only a few small puddles.

I'd recommend against Majura, Sparrow and Kowen as I reckon these will be super boggy (not that I've ridden them recently).

If we only get light showers over the next 24 hours I'd be hitting Stromlo.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We had some pretty big rain here yesterday afternoon, although sounds like Stromlo may be holding up better than expected.

Also surprised about Bruce Ridge, I rode there last Sunday and decided to do some hill training on the fire roads instead as there were way too many big puddles, especially along the section that parallels GDH. We've only seen more rain and cold, cloudy days since then so I'm surprised to hear that it's dried up any.

I am probably more reticent than most to ride wet trails though. I don't like riding in the mud, I don't want to rip the trails up any and I hate the sound of a crunchy drive train.

styler

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback, Mate has rung and spoken to the ranger there. He was saying conditions are good just enough rain to wet down the dust. Lets hope the rain doesn't come down tonight. :pray:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sweet, mother nature seems to have donated most of it's efforts over the top of my office instead.

The bitch.....

styler

Likes Dirt
Conditions were great, there was a slight sprinkle in the morning and the storm clouds seemed to pass around stromlo. :biggrin1: It wasn't till about 2 that it started to rain. Just enough time for one last run up the mountain, the added grip from the slight shower was great for the last run down western wedgetail, skyline, luge into duffys.:dance: Looking forward to the next time I'm in Canberra, apparently there are local rides that makes Stromlo look small according to a local we met. Now I just need to work where they are?:noidea: