Hope Tech 4 V4 vs everything else

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Just to note. The cura4 and dominion a4 pads are different. Although the pad is the same shape the locating pin is if a different spot. I haven’t tried to put cura pads in the a4s to check yet though
My trial Trickstuff pads have made it to Melbourne so I'll confirm fitment when they get here or you could potentially burst my bubble sooner if you wish ;) looking at the pics I reckon it'll work with a little massaging of the Cura pin hole.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I checked mine and I agree with Scotty675 I don't think they'll work. The material is in a different location. Close but no cigar.

kten

In the end I bought another set of Dominions. Yesterday I rode with the Maxima's and last night considered just going with them again, cost be damned. Today I rode the Titan that has Dominions and even with the semi sintered Hayes pads they are just a great brake too. Got onto some googling and found R2 bike had a few sets of Trickstuff Direttissima available and they also had the Dominions on sale. 950euro vs 290euro made the choice easy.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
In the end I bought another set of Dominions. Yesterday I rode with the Maxima's and last night considered just going with them again, cost be damned. Today I rode the Titan that has Dominions and even with the semi sintered Hayes pads they are just a great brake too. Got onto some googling and found R2 bike had a few sets of Trickstuff Direttissima available and they also had the Dominions on sale. 950euro vs 290euro made the choice easy.
Get some of these https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/...Hayes-Dominion-A4-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads. You can thank me later.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can you compare them to the standard sintered formula pads and Trickstuff power?
Sintered formula pads are harder wearing but noisier. Racematrix pads have better ultimate power than both.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so thank you after they come back into stock?
I've been in touch with Uber Brakes about these and they've quoted a three month lead time. I've currently got 12 pairs tentatively on order with them, if anyone wants to join the delayed group buy let me know, postage is about $6AUD each (per person, not per set).

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone have any experience with the newish V4 Hope brakes? Specific comparisons to other brakes would be great to hear about.

i have a set of German brakes that have reset my expectations of brakes but I’m still open to trying other things (and don’t want to spend that amount of money again).

Also have a set of Hayes Dominion A4’s that I’m not unhappy with either. I’m trying a set of trickstuff power pads in them out of the Formula Cura shortly….I think they fit. Hoping someone has tried A4’s and the Hopes and can comment.
Just had my first ride yesterday on the new Tech 4 E4 brakes. Running with 203mm rotors front and rear, and new Hope Organic Race pads. Previous brakes were Tech 3 V4 front, E4 rear with Uberbike Race Matrix pads.

I expected to see a moderate improvement, but the difference was pretty substantial. Significantly more powerful and a very different lever feel. Theyve moved a little down the spectrum towards the Shimano light switch feel, but thankfully not too much and still plenty of moderation.

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
i have Hope tech3 / E4 Duo lever version, the adjustable bite point and lever position , has been a deal breaker,
i can't give specifics to feel as i have one master cylinder and dual pots running off it.
i know that mine need a rebleed after shortening the lines for the bike...
but overall very impressed, and that's with using sram discs, not the thicker hope discs

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
That’s a cool little tool. Ride monkey is great for the frankenbrake thread tech discussions.
Sounds like the über-internet-brake would be the trickstuff levers, cura4 calipers, and some redline likewater (or actual water for trials spec!)

kten

Even the Cura 2's score well, the tool shows the Trickstuff calipers are the weakness as both Cura 2 and 4 calipers rank higher with the Trickstuff levers than the Trickstuff calipers.
Look at the power of the Dominion A2's!

I wonder if the lever feel would be the same with the Trickstuff lever and Formula calipers can compare to full Trickstuff? The feel at the lever on the Maxima's is sublime, like something deserving of the 'next level' tag. Moot point anyway, even I don't need the internet points to go down that rabbit hole @moorey

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Look at the power of the Dominion A2's!

I wonder if the lever feel would be the same with the Trickstuff lever and Formula calipers can compare to full Trickstuff? The feel at the lever on the Maxima's is sublime, like something deserving of the 'next level' tag. Moot point anyway, even I don't need the internet points to go down that rabbit hole @moorey
I'll never get to have the full Trickstuff experience but I do run their Power pads in all my brakes, even the pads can transform a set of brakes.

Funny thing is here some talk about mega braking power and I look at the tyres they are running and I'm thinking, juicy5's will lock you up bro. You just put F1 brakes on a Mazda 121.

moorey

call me Mia
Funny thing is here some talk about mega braking power and I look at the tyres they are running and I'm thinking, juicy5's will lock you up bro. You just put F1 brakes on a Mazda 121.
Lol. You think those talking about it are riding? You dear, sweet child.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's nice to see some mix and match between levers and calipers but I'm surprised there's no information about lever (master cylinder) bores, pad area and total caliper piston volume. While those graphs are pretty pictures they aren't very useful.
I would suggest that caliper stiffness is largely the same and due to the low levels of force involved I'd say it makes no difference.
Lever stiffness and mechanical advantage are the other two variables.
In theory if you had all the master cylinder, pad area and caliper volumes it would be pretty easy to work out what your ideal setup is.
We do this with race car brakes, just a big spreadsheet and then we overlay the data from the Bosch ABS and make changes if we can't get the balance.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
but I'm surprised there's no information about lever (master cylinder) bores, pad area and total caliper piston volume. While those graphs are pretty pictures they aren't very useful.
The data comes from ridemonkey. There was a link at the bottom of the site to the frankenbrakes thread. This google sheet has a bunch of the data, might have some of what you want.

Reactions: PJO