Hope pro 4 vs Pro 5 & do I need to go #%^#%^ boost now?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Soooo Burners, is it worth getting Hope wheels with Pro 5 hubs over the FA cheaper run-out Pro 4?

Also, all my spare (New) rotors are 6 bolt. Any worthwhile reason to go centrelock? or is that some gravel-centric shit?

And thinking that I might have to finally go the dreaded boost spacing so I can use a current fork.

I have a boostinator kit for normal spaced front and rear hubs, but I would prefer to get a factory boost front wheel for any new fork.

All of this is on 29er, so I'm not a total grumpy old bastard, well...actually I am, but I like to pretend otherwise.
(I still have 26er wheels on my Rune, but resigned to 27.5 replacements.)

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
If you can get run out priced 4’s, go nuts. Particularly if you’re only wanting front. I guess I’ll eventually start buying 5’s as 4’s disappear, but 4’s are still a stellar hub. As are numerous pro2 evo’s I’m still running.
Increased rear POE is meh to me, and can be a disadvantage on some bikes with more kickback.
I like that they’ve gone with CL option finally, but I’m more than happy with 6 bolt at this point.
TLDR, both excellent options.

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
Depending on how wet it is, where you live or ride depends on whether you want it,
i live in perth, wet weather riding is pretty rare. i'd go cheap Pro4's over Pro5, unless not available...
Look at the Bikesportz website, they are the Australian dealers.
I have Pro 4 boost, with 6 bolt. and RS4, for my road bike, with Centrelock discs ,are a lot easier, with me having Cerebral Palsy, and only needed a Bottom Bracket spanner to loosen/tighten. if i was to build a new set of boost wheels from scratch i would consider it more seriously as an option. 1 lockring at a higher torque is a lot stronger, than stripping small torque bolts in an expensive hub.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If you can get run out priced 4’s, go nuts. Particularly if you’re only wanting front. I guess I’ll eventually start buying 5’s as 4’s disappear, but 4’s are still a stellar hub. As are numerous pro2 evo’s I’m still running.
Increased rear POE is meh to me, and can be a disadvantage on some bikes with more kickback.
I like that they’ve gone with CL option finally, but I’m more than happy with 6 bolt at this point.
My 2 sets of wheels with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs are still running strong. Couple of bearing changes is the only thing I've done to them.

I was going to get a Banshee prime, and the only dropouts available in Oz are boost, apparently.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Ok Hambo

moorey

call me Mia
My 2 sets of wheels with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs are still running strong. Couple of bearing changes is the only thing I've done to them.

I was going to get a Banshee prime, and the only dropouts available in Oz are boost, apparently.
I held out on boost as long as I could, using my existing horde of wheels with no issue on older bikes, but with both kids racing these days, on newer rigs, it was harder work taking extra spares to races, so we’re basically a boost fleet for racing. I feel zero performance improvement though.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What's a good condition boost hope pro 4 enduro wheelset worth these days? Put them up locally for $500 and not even a nibble, am I way off? Honestly not sure what there are worth anymore.