Hope hg hub 11sp spacer thing

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
I got a used set of wheels with a hope pro v4 shimano hg hub body

Put on a 11sp xt cassette, went for a test ride but it’s all crunchy. Have look and all the cogs are loose with a few mm of side to side play. turns out I can’t tighten down the lock ring enough because I’m missing the 2mm spacer that’s supposed to go on before the cassette

Anyone know what I can use as a cheapie replacement? I bought a shimano spacer from the lgs but it doesn’t slide down all the way to the end of the hub body and while I can now lock the casette down it doesn’t shift as smooth.. is that expected (need to adjust rd when putting on a diff brand wheel)?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I got a used set of wheels with a hope pro v4 shimano hg hub body

Put on a 11sp xt cassette, went for a test ride but it’s all crunchy. Have look and all the cogs are loose with a few mm of side to side play. turns out I can’t tighten down the lock ring enough because I’m missing the 2mm spacer that’s supposed to go on before the cassette

Anyone know what I can use as a cheapie replacement? I bought a shimano spacer from the lgs but it doesn’t slide down all the way to the end of the hub body and while I can now lock the casette down it doesn’t shift as smooth.. is that expected (need to adjust rd when putting on a diff brand wheel)?
Where are you located, mate? I bought a bunch of 1.8mm spacers from eBay ages ago, happy to give you one.

Edit: did they sell you a 2.5mm Shimano bottom bracket spacer?

Last edited:

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Where are you located, mate? I bought a bunch of 1.8mm spacers from eBay ages ago, happy to give you one.

Edit: did they sell you a 2.5mm Shimano bottom bracket spacer?
Thanks! I’m in SA. I can xfer a few pesos for a stamp - should be fine as a plain letter. I sent a race face bb in an envelope to NT earlier this year

I’ll take the cassette off the hub tomorrow and measure the spacer I was sold

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Thanks! I’m in SA. I can xfer a few pesos for a stamp - should be fine as a plain letter. I sent a race face bb in an envelope to NT earlier this year

I’ll take the cassette off the hub tomorrow and measure the spacer I was sold
I'll send you a PM

Flow-Rider

Burner
the lbs sold me a plastic 2mm cassette spacer so I guess its no go. I'll give them a call to see if they have any metal ones i can swap it for
I've used one before and it tightened up ok, I can't give you a long term result because I found the hope spacer that I had lost and swapped it over again. It still has the same pressure of the freehub nut when it's between the cassettes, maybe the shape of the hub causes them to split sometimes.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
ive put the plastic one in between the cogs and taken one of the metal xt spacers as a quick fix. but yeah if it was behind the cassette the pressure + the u shaped grooves/bevel on the base of the hub body would probably cause it to deform and ooze outwards