Hope E4 v V4 v M820 Saints

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
So my google-fu is being particularly weak today and I'm looking for some real world feedback. I currently own a set of Saints and while they're a different feel to my M785 I really like them. The biggest issue I have with them is they're not orange!

Recently, Santa's little helper has advised I can get whatever I want for my b'day/Christmas so I've found a set of Tech 3 E4's (standard hose & anodised rotors) for $449 and Tech 3 V4 (braided hoses no rotors) for $440. While I "know" both brakes are superfluous to my needs, they're both available in orange and from what I've read, they will make my life better in every way. I'm thinking of selling the M785's and moving the saints to my commuter....

So, the question is; E4's or V4's?

I like to think I'm cool and awesome at riding fast and furious, though I really ride like a sook. I weigh 95kgs nude, and am leaning towards the V4's with 180mm rotors. V4 selling points include being orange and the biggest baddest brake Hope make...

Are there any reasons to get the E4 instead?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Doesn't matter unless you need some extra stopping power and don't mind a little bit of extra weight.
V4 are designed for DH riding, E4 for Enduro/AM.
Calipers are the only difference, both run tech 3 levers. V4 have bigger pistons.
E4 are more than enough for a 95kg rider.... but if you wanna spend the extra then knock yourself out.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
Had M820. Now on E4. The E4 have more than enough braking power. 65kg rider. 200/180 rotors.

Get the standard hose braided is a pain in the ass to work with.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Had M820. Now on E4. The E4 have more than enough braking power. 65kg rider. 200/180 rotors.

Get the standard hose braided is a pain in the ass to work with.
This.

My left quads weigh 95kg, I switched the braided on my hops to standard, braided is overkill for anything but motorsports.

Floating rotors are like $60 a pop on their own, a braided line kit is like $20.

FYI, whatever you already have, Hopes are always the answer, even if there was no question.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Warp

Likes Dirt
While on subject...

How do the X2 compare to XT/XTR (assuming the XT M8000/9000 work).

62kg, lame riding, you get the idea.

teK--

Eats Squid
I remember reading a dyno test somewhere, and although outright power of the X2 is less, you get the usual reliability and adjustability plus modulation of Hope. And stickers. Since when did Shimano give free stickers with their gear?

Unless you are a weenie I'd just get the E4, and it will last you a lifetime across many bikes.

While on subject...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm running the E4 with braided lines. I also happen to be a similar weight to yourself. They stop me plenty good. Braided lines look awesome, so worth the extra cash for me when I purchased.

While on subject...

I had the X2 a while back. They were an awesome brake. So much better feel than the shimano offerings.

Minlak

custom titis
Can we just make a sticky that says.....
"Fuck Yes Buy Hopes"

Think of all the bandwidth the world would save.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Can we just make a sticky that says.....
"Fuck Yes Buy Hopes"

Think of all the bandwidth the world would save.
I'm glad everyone is coming around to this reality.................. I love Hopetech..... :blah:

abevern

Likes Dirt
I remember reading a dyno test somewhere, and although outright power of the X2 is less, you get the usual reliability and adjustability plus modulation of Hope. And stickers. Since when did Shimano give free stickers with their gear?

Unless you are a weenie I'd just get the E4, and it will last you a lifetime across many bikes.
I have X2 rear and E4 front. Weight difference is fugall. They're a lot fussier to set up than shimanos, but I'm happy with the combo.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have X2 rear and E4 front. Weight difference is fugall. They're a lot fussier to set up than shimanos, but I'm happy with the combo.
Interested why u put x2 on the back then if minimal weight difference as that means u can't keep one type of spare pads and parts for both ends?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I just drag my feet and hope I can stop.....

Seriously though there is a chance the orange won't match your bikes orange and the would just look lame. Go a crazy different colour or black.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Interested why u put x2 on the back then if minimal weight difference as that means u can't keep one type of spare pads and parts for both ends?

This... how much "fugall" savings are we talking about. Some "fugall" differences here and there and we're talking half a kilo.

Then it's the available power. Is it that much lower on the X2 as compared to the E4? Genuine question, I've only been on Maguras and Shimanos which tend to keep consistent power across the range save for 4 pot brakes which tend to be much more powerful.

Or should I rephrase... How worthy of a Front brake the X2 is? Average trail riding, wheels to ground, light rider.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
This... how much "fugall" savings are we talking about. Some "fugall" differences here and there and we're talking half a kilo.

Then it's the available power. Is it that much lower on the X2 as compared to the E4? Genuine question, I've only been on Maguras and Shimanos which tend to keep consistent power across the range save for 4 pot brakes which tend to be much more powerful.

Or should I rephrase... How worthy of a Front brake the X2 is? Average trail riding, wheels to ground, light rider.

The Mrs bike has an X2 on the front with the tech 2 lever. Because it came in pink.
There's less power than the E4's on mine but not by a huge amount. I'd guess they'd be a bit worse for heat dissipation on a long run if that's a factor for you?

One thing to add is that the single piston on each side made them much much easier to set up than the E4's

Warp

Likes Dirt
The Mrs bike has an X2 on the front with the tech 2 lever. Because it came in pink.
There's less power than the E4's on mine but not by a huge amount. I'd guess they'd be a bit worse for heat dissipation on a long run if that's a factor for you?

One thing to add is that the single piston on each side made them much much easier to set up than the E4's
Cheers... Got off my lazy arse and checked weights for X2 and E4... certainly fugall. Sorry I doubt you, guys.

Longs story short... E4's are just about as heavy give or take 10grs to XT's and 15grs heavier or so than X2's. So yeah, fugall.

I would go for E4/X2 just for my bike to look "moto" (yeah, I'm THAT shallow) even if the pad supplies get complicated.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm not an average trail riding, wheels to the ground, light rider kind of guy...so you'll need to adjust the calibration for yourself, but...I thrashed out a lot of trails and street riding on my X2 brakes. This included plenty of rides down Ourimbah dh trail on a 125r/160f mm travel bike, the local freeride and am stuff, and conquering the quarry of death (an achievement for any bike and rider). The brakes performed their duties very well every time. I never felt unsafe or under powered when using them. The only fault would be that they did suffer heat fade a little if I was being heavy handed with the brakes...this always took plenty of laps and excessive braking to build up to.

As a disclaimer...I never needed to change the pads in the ~2 years I used them, for all of wich they were on the bike I rode about 20km everyday. I didn't need to bleed them either. I've been on the E4 for about 2 years now too...bled once, no pad changes needed. So I may not be using the brakes as much as the average rider either. That or hope pads are just really fucking good.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Cheers... Got off my lazy arse and checked weights for X2 and E4... certainly fugall. Sorry I doubt you, guys.

Longs story short... E4's are just about as heavy give or take 10grs to XT's and 15grs heavier or so than X2's. So yeah, fugall.

I would go for E4/X2 just for my bike to look "moto" (yeah, I'm THAT shallow) even if the pad supplies get complicated.
Yes. I weighed mine, bearing in mind the X2 had the longer cable - there was about 10g in it.

I got the mismatch because moto.

Also I really wanted lower power at the rear so my ham fisted modulation had the best chance of maintaining seated past balance-point manuals.

Spare pads - yeh an extra hassle. But the X2 is way easier to set up as someone already noted. E4 is seriously finicky. I imagine there's a trick - but I don't know it yet.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
...SNIP...

Seriously though there is a chance the orange won't match your bikes orange and the would just look lame. Go a crazy different colour or black.
The good thing about having lots of Hope anodized orange stuff is; it all matches;)