Hope bleed kit?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'm thinking about getting some Hope brakes for the Sight, as the stock Guide Rs aren't impressing me at all. I also have an Avid/Sram bleed kit on the way. Any chance this would be cross-compatible?

Last edited:

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
No kit needed.

Bit of hose from bunnings is all you need. Then the reservoir pops off, hose on the bleed nipple. Fill/pump lever/repeat.

You'll wonder why you ever used another brake

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about getting some Hope brakes for the Sight, as the stock guide Rs aren't impressing me at all. I also have an Avid/Sram bleed kit on the way. Any chance this would be cross-compatible?
You don't need anything special to bleed hopes. Pour fluid into the lever after removing the cap. Pump the lever to force fluid through the system out theough the caliper. You don't even really need a syringe, although it would be much less messy if you used one. All you need is a length of tube to go on the bleed nipple on the calliper to carry away the excess fluid into whatever you want (empty bottle / can ect). What you have ordered will work just fine. Might need a slightly longer length of hose (about $5 from bunnings for a roll)

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Nice! I'm getting the bike serviced this week; if they can't get the brakes working to my satisfaction, I'll go ahead and get the Hopes.

Thanks!

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Nice! I'm getting the bike serviced this week; if they can't get the brakes working to my satisfaction, I'll go ahead and get the Hopes.

Thanks!
just do it! im still bedding mine in as i havent really had the opportunity to ride alot lately and not regretting it at all... evan cycles has killer prices often enough

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You don't have the old sticky Guide lever problem do you Spike? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?304656-SRAM-Guide-RS-Brakes-Lever-slow-to-return

Two year warranty on Guides though, and SRAM will replace the levers for nix if they're buggered and still under warranty.

Another thing to consider is that DOT fluid brakes need to be bled annually as the fluid is hydroscopic and sucks up moisture from the air, degrading performance - they really do feel shitty with old fluid. Changing to metal pads makes a big difference as well if you wish to persevere with them. Can't blame you for binning the Guides and to changing to Hopes either...

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
You don't have the old sticky Guide lever problem do you Spike? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?304656-SRAM-Guide-RS-Brakes-Lever-slow-to-return

Two year warranty on Guides though, and SRAM will replace the levers for nix if they're buggered and still under warranty.

Another thing to consider is that DOT fluid brakes need to be bled annually as the fluid is hydroscopic and sucks up moisture from the air, degrading performance - they really do feel shitty with old fluid. Changing to metal pads makes a big difference as well if you wish to persevere with them. Can't blame you for binning the Guides and to changing to Hopes either...
Not sticky levers, just not impressed with the actual braking performance so far. I've only had the bike a month.

I'll see how they go after a visit to the LBS.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Not sticky levers, just not impressed with the actual braking performance so far. I've only had the bike a month.

I'll see how they go after a visit to the LBS.
I guess it's what you're used to. I have Shimano on my hardtail and Guides on a bike I just sold. Shimano has a more direct on/off feel, compared with the modulation of the Guides.

The organic pads on the Guides were pretty ordinary too and seemed to glaze up easily; changing to sintered pads made them much more usable for my ~100kg weight. Unfortunately my levers died in the QLD heat, but fortunately for me they were replaced under warranty through my LBS and the new levers were RSCs. I didn't get a chance to ride with them much before flogging the bike, and despite the smoother feel of the swing-link thingy in the lever and handiness of the contact point adjustment, the stopping power wasn't much different to the original Guide R levers.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hopes and Guides are closer in "feel" than Shimano's in my opinion.

Both Guides and Hopes have more modulation and less on/off feel. I've been running E4's for years(now on my hard tail), and my new dually came with RS Guides.
I actually don't mind them, and I'll be leaving them on. I'm not quite as heavy as you guys (82kg) but find that both have heaps of stopping power, with a slight edge to the Hopes.

If you have upgraditis, then Hopes are a nice addition. Saying that don't expect a huge power difference between the 2.

The lever feel of the Hopes is far superior, and they are as tough as a jockeys god stitch.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Sounds like you ride a fair bit at the lower section of the Youies, maybe they haven't fully bedded in just yet?