honda prelude v subaru rs

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
hey guys, i'm in the business of buying a car and i'm tossing up between a 1997 prelude or a 2003 subaru rs, just wondering if i could get some help. I was wondering which one is more powerful and which one you would buy and why?

thanks alot!

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends - need more details.

Also rather than starting a new thread why not pop it into the 'project car' thread

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the Prelude a 4 wheel steer model? I forget exactly when they stopped the 4WS. If it is, they were known for expensively crapping out so I'd stay away.
If they are the same money I'd go the Subey, 6 years difference is a lot.

willsy01

Eats Squid
RS for sure. My sister had one, really nice car to drive. Has heaps of power down low whereas you'd have to rev the tits off the Honda to get it moving.

That and the mandatory handing over of your heterosexuality after you've purchased the Honda.

scblack

Leucocholic
If they are the same money I'd go the Subey, 6 years difference is a lot.
Exactly what I was thinking - the newer the car, generally the less problems you are going to have.

My General Manager here at work knows the service manager at Bill Buckle in Brookvale very well. They service several brands of car. Toyota and Subaru are well ahead of others for service issues.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I had a '97 Prelude VTiR (the sporty-engined version). I haven't had much (anything) to do with the Subaru RS but going by what it looks like on Google Images, I reckon it's a fair bit more practical - which means, better to live with for more than a day.

The back seats in the Prelude were a joke. It was good fun to drive "enthusiastically" but VERY expensive to service, overly complicated (4 wheel steer etc) and just not great to live with. How often can you drive "enthusiastically" anyway.

I would not get the Prelude again - even though I liked it 5% of the time, 50% of the time it was so-so and 45% of the time plain awkward. (Yes I made 73% of those stats up.)

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok well honestly mate, with out calling you a tard, its a no brainer.

subaru RS (Gen1 Series2) unless its a jap import then it could be a Gen1 Series1 or a half cut conversion and then its just a liberty with a 2Lt turbo in it.

ive owned a Gen1 Series1 Liberty RS wagon, wish i didnt sell it. build quality, fun to drive comfortable, easy to maintain, hard as nails, and generally bullet proof, a mass of aftermarket parts and go fast bits for them.

also its a 2Lt TURBO that in its self is the biggest selling point and sells its self well over the prelude"ikris" if you got the punn.

anyway i sold my RS to get a UTE, i got a series3 Falcon Tonner (mainly because i wanted easy room for bikes etc) and something more modern and effectively last me another 8+ years with out a problem. this car's build quality compared to the RS of 11years older was a step backwards for me, features was a step backwards for me, and 1 week after i got the falcon the P/S failed and boiled all over the alternator underneath it, thus killing my car, warranty covered it now no problems, tho in the 3 years i had the RS i hadent had a problem, and it got putt through the ringer, on many many twisty roads.

buy the RS you will kick your self if you dont. also go onto a forum called ozliberty.com they are a great bunch and very knowledgeable

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
uuhhh, since when is the RS turbo?

Anyway, get the RS.
Muskimo is thinking of the Liberty RS Turbo, which in its day was a pretty damn sick beastie.
I suspect the original poster though means an Impreza RS, which you're right, has no hairdryer under the bonnet

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Muskimo is thinking of the Liberty RS Turbo, which in its day was a pretty damn sick beastie.
I suspect the original poster though means an Impreza RS, which you're right, has no hairdryer under the bonnet
Ah, I read Impreza RS when I looked at it, probably just cause it seemed obvious it was a first car choice haha.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes the only RS worth mentioning is the RS liberty all others are buckets of nanna power. still quality subaru tho. and i would still say go the subaru tho.

if your keen a mate that works for subaru gets company cars so he has his AUSSIE DELIVERED RS Liberty for sale, for those of you into the gen1 its the former vehicle of the fella that runs RSLC RS Liberty Club, plates are RS 1993, this thing is a license looser.

EDIT; gen1 series1 to series2 were from 89-93

and yes i did miss the 2003 for some reason i saw the 3 and RS and put 1+1 togetther and thought of the weapon

Last edited:

ozz

Likes Bikes
I dont personally know anything about either car, but i've been told that NA subaru engines leave a lot to be desired in terms of power

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats a common misconception, with a claimed 135Kw+ (thats flywheel just like all companies state power at) its got a good amount of get up and go. the 2.5Lt -Turbo is up in the high 180Kw+ area and the B-spec (6 cylinder(Liberty's)) 195Kw+ that was a few years ago when i was working for Benz/ Subaru and Chrysler jeep.

the impreza is the same 2.5Lt as the liberty and can easily be tuned at minimal cost to a nice 140Kw+ at the wheels with out a Turbo. but just spend the 2K and get an impreza STI half cut and Gearbag installed.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats a common misconception, with a claimed 135Kw+ (thats flywheel just like all companies state power at) its got a good amount of get up and go. the 2.5Lt -Turbo is up in the high 180Kw+ area and the B-spec (6 cylinder(Liberty's)) 195Kw+ that was a few years ago when i was working for Benz/ Subaru and Chrysler jeep.

the impreza is the same 2.5Lt as the liberty and can easily be tuned at minimal cost to a nice 140Kw+ at the wheels with out a Turbo. but just spend the 2K and get an impreza STI half cut and Gearbag installed.
http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=36&__sid=1287DEBEB757

112KW...

KOKONUT

Cannon Fodder
I would definitely go with the Subaru.
1, It's an Awd.
2, It would be more practical.
3, What everyone else is saying.

If you do go with the Subaru, try to find a good SUBARU MECHANIC (someone that really knows Subaru).

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
thanks for that guys, and yes to clarify it was the non turbo rs. from all that info seems like the rs is winning in most aspects! and yes it was the four wheel prelude which i was actually wondering about.

thanks!

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
Mate, i've got an 07 Impreza, and its the bee's knees. If you fill it up with Premium fuel, you get alot more power output i've found. As the car is meant to be "Premium recommended" anyway. The car honestly struggles when you put regular unleaded in, DO NOT put that E10 shit in it.

I highly recommend Subaru, i know once i get off my P's im getting a WRX. No doubt about them buddy, they are fantastic cars.

I was tossing up between an RS and the one i ended up buying, i got the 07 because it was newer, be it a 2L instead of 2.5, it still has plenty of guts.

Love it to bits, you will not be disappointed in a Suby, great cars, and fun to drive!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda

Ah... The Impreza RS is a 4 cylinder car. Completely different engine to a Liberty 3.0 Spec B.

No way are you going to get 140kw atw out of the RS engine either. 114kw at the flywheel is going to be lucky to make 75kw atw. You're not going to reap twice as much without spending enough to buy an STI.

Anyway, the Impreza RS is a smart choice. Well made, cheap to run and safe in an accident. Just choose.