Home Brew

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Tried brewing my second brown ale today, an American brown, to be precise. First one was a complete screw up with a totally stck mash (had a bunch of oats in it but the vessel I was using was more the issue). It turned out nice but it much more of a porter than a brown.

Today, I think, if I'm lucky, I brewed a red, otherwise, it's going to be a hoppy amber.

Voyager compass - 69%
Voyager Veloria - 21%
Dark Crustal - 5%
Light choc - 2% (10m)
Shepherd's Delight - 1.5% (10m)
Brown malt - 1.5%

FWH - Amarill0 30g, Magnum 10g
10 min - Ella 15g, Citra 15g, Amarillo 15g
whirlpool - Ella 20g

Actually hit my numbers, which is only the second time since doing AG: pre-boil 1055, post-boil 1061

Was aiming for 67 mash temp but let it drop down to 64 at one stage, due to divided attention.

Did two cubes, will dry hop one and leave the other neat to compare flavours. Both will be US05.

LPG

likes thicc birds
It's been a long time since I've brewed belgian ales but I've been thinking it would be good to put a Dubble and some belgian pale ales. I've got som 3787 ardennes yeast, I look forward to getting some Belgians going. It's been too long.

I typically use a liquid yeast for 2 to 4 batches. I'm trying to figure out if I should use the belgian yeast to do a belgian Stout that I've been thinking about or wait until the next yeast which will be my standard english ale yeast, ringwood (probably 6 to 9 months away) for a more typical stout. Anyone brewed or drank a Belgian stout? Worth doing? I can imagine balancing the phenolics and roast might be hard fo get right. Tips?

Kegged a brett beer today.
Potential for a cluster fuck in the brewery but I don't care.
That reminds me I've got about 8L of misc brett beer in a keg that's been ageing for 1.5 years. Not sure whether to blend an old ale or something else... at least it doesnt oxidise with brett in there, I'll probably figure out what to do in another 1.5 years.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Need some hops in it for it to be a hoppy amber mate
Agreed. Hoppy browns and reds are beautiful but you need more hops for their flavour to cut through the malt. American browns are probably my favourite style to brew or drink.

indica

Serial flasher
Anyone brewed or drank a Belgian stout? Worth doing? I can imagine balancing the phenolics and roast might be hard fo get right. Tips?
Looking at Beersmith I made one last year. I don't recall any issues with balance. I used a Belgian Dark Ale strain

Reactions: LPG

T-Rex

Template denier
@indica re your ginger beer receipe, I am getting some pressure to make it, and I did not age the 0.5kg of ginger. What's the effect of aged ginger vs if I just use all fresh ginger?

indica

Serial flasher
What's the effect of aged ginger vs if I just use all fresh ginger?
I use fresh from my garden. So IDK the difference. Last time I made it I juiced the ginger and boiled that juice.
The recipe says to boil solids and all, it's better if you don't.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
those around Sydney, I have some swing tops bottles lying around ready for the recycling bin. If anyone would like them (yes for free) for storing homebrew, PM me for pickup address. They're very nice bottles and shame to throw them away, but i have no use for them!

binner

Hath shat hymself
sooooooo, this should go into the fuckwit thread........ I was sweet on the tap hole in the side of the fridge but this morning I went to drill my 8mm hole for gas on opposite side of tap but a little bit back and up towards the back of the fridge ...................................................................................

and .................................... psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss i hit a fucking line. Panic set in as I had a keg full and chilled without a home now .....so it was gumtree local to the rescue with a 40 buck fridge and a bit of cursing whilst powering around the streets in the kombi.... had to go buy a 4 pack of consequence to sooth my day
..that was a good bar fridge, treated me well for many a year

.....to be continued

stirk

Burner
sooooooo, this should go into the fuckwit thread........ I was sweet on the tap hole in the side of the fridge but this morning I went to drill my 8mm hole for gas on opposite side of tap but a little bit back and up towards the back of the fridge ...................................................................................

and .................................... psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss i hit a fucking line. Panic set in as I had a keg full and chilled without a home now .....so it was gumtree local to the rescue with a 40 buck fridge and a bit of cursing whilst powering around the streets in the kombi.... had to go buy a 4 pack of consequence to sooth my day
..that was a good bar fridge, treated me well for many a year

.....to be continued
Chesty with a collar and temp controlled with a inkbird is the way you want to go.

My last all grain batch, XPA. It's amazing, I will post up the recipe.

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^^^^ sweet set up, I'm working up to that , baby steps for me....my bro is big on home brew and has all the chest freezer n multiple taps plus still set up ...but im going in small steps and learning as i go...
it took me all this time to go from coopers can brew to kegging so who knows when i chest freezer n still ;):p:)

stirk

Burner
bits and bobs brew XPA maltsqty - kg
maris otter
2.2​
golden promise
0.5​
oats
0.5​
honey
0.1​
pale ale
2.8​
light crystal
0.3​
TOTAL
6.4​
HOPSqty - g
mosaicFWH
5​
citraFWH
5​
el doradoFWH
5​
5​
mosaic40min WP
6​
citra40min WP
6​
el dorado40min WP
6​
mosaic30min WP
13​
citra30min WP
13​
el dorado30min WP
13​
mosaic20min WP
17​
citra20min WP
17​
el dorado20min WP
17​
mosaic8 days - 1.020
20​
citra8 days - 1.020
20​
el dorado8 days - 1.020
20​
mosaic4 days
28​
citra4 days
40​
el dorado4 days
28​
simcoe4 days
28​

M42 Mangrove Jacks yeast - just one pack dry chucked in the FV and left to do it's thing for 3 weeks, maybe that's why it ended up so clear even with the dry hopping.

stirk

Burner
^^^^^^ sweet set up, I'm working up to that , baby steps for me....my bro is big on home brew and has all the chest freezer n multiple taps plus still set up ...but im going in small steps and learning as i go...
it took me all this time to go from coopers can brew to kegging so who knows when i chest freezer n still ;):p:)
Tasmanian oak collar! Cost a bit but worth it for the weight and quality of the timber.

My brewing gear is BIAB (Brew In A Bag)

I'm using a 50L Nano kettle from cheakypeak with their new mesh basket which is so much better than a bag especially for sparging. I also no chill into a cube so it's a really super simple set up and I can't see any reason to go for a 3 vessel set up, keep it simple and enjoy less cleaning and gear maintenance. A 50L kettle is awesome for 21L BIAB batches and can mash in Russian Imperial Stouts with 9kg grain but only just.