Hold My Beer... The Mawr Orange Sour Ale Edition

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Very keen to hear a ride report on those brakes. Looking at the exact same combo.
I did a very good bleed on the brakes but they still have a long throw and soft engagement, so modulation is still likely to be very good.

I'll confirm tomorrow when I ride in anger.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
If you come Northside and let me buy you lunch I might even let you ride it. I'll bring the Kleenex.

I even have the right pedals! definitely gotta come up for a ride.

Oddjob

Very keen to hear a ride report on those brakes. Looking at the exact same combo.
Went for the first ride in anger today. As expected the brakes have a long throw and very soft engagement. Not squishy like Hope just a gradual increase in power. Insane power available but requires firm pull. Definitely a good option for modulation lovers needing lots of power, i.e. people unhappy with Hope V4s.

Weirdly the Racematrix pads really muffle the feedback from the brakes. The sintered pads on my other set of Cura 4s make this quiet turkey gobble under hard braking and you can feel and hear the sinter hitting the discs. The Racematrix pads are dead quiet and there is very little vibration that comes through the levers.

Otherwise, I'm still bracketing the fork and shock settings but will probably need a lot of spacers to get full travel in the fork. If anyone has spare Fox 40 and previous generation Float X2 spacers, pm me.

I was expecting the bike to be very stiff but it's actually very comfortable. Probably due to the big frame/wheels/fork etc just giving a little more compliance.

Oddjob

Where? We've had a few days of sun and wind so hopefully trails might be on the improve.
Enduro section of Manly Dam. It's dry but very chopped up from naughty people riding in the wet.

Might head up to Ourimbah next week.

Oddjob

Took my eldest out for a quick ride before the downpour begins tomorrow.

Hit Manly Dam on the Nicolai, which was a bit like taking a jack hammer to crack a nut. But it was nice to get out with my son and keep fiddling with the bike.

The Nicolai frame definitely has a nice ride quality to it. Frame alignment is perfect and there aren't any creaks or rattles.

The Fox 49 is certainly more compliant then I expected. I'll be fitting a MRP Ramp Control and winding it up in order to minimise the volume as much as possible. I've got an Avalanche Cartridge to fit at the next fork service which I expect to have a much firmer platform.

The brakes are awesome, but very muted in their feedback. No histrionics as they pull me up like a freight train.

The ZTTO 11-50 SLR cassette is working out surprisingly well. It maxes out the Deore m5120 RD even with the hanger extender but once I got the b screw adjusted properly it shifts well. Back pedalling is problematic but that seems to be the case with all the 50 tooth 1x systems.

I seem to have got the controls right first time. The 50mm rise bars are good, not clipping every rock with the pedals, climbing position is comfy. The single ply Lizard Skin North Shore grips are awesome. Super comfy on the hands and I pretty much forget they are there. I'd be interested to compare to Revgrips but I suspect it would be a marginal difference. The 780mm bars are also handy for grabbing a spot of shopping on the way home.