Highland Fling 2011

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I've only done the 100 so have never seen the elites start but FWIW I've never been held up or seen any of the bottlenecking that is spoken about. The 100 strung out into groups pretty quick and it all seemed to go smoothly.

Where I did come across some issues, and I'm not sure you will ever avoid this without a dramatic change to the event format, was when the 100k field started to pick it's way through the backmarkers of the 50k race. This was the point at which the elites caught me so I got to watch a bit of the carnage that ensued, including myself almost having the ignominy of taking out both Dylan Cooper and Matt Fleming (in my defence I rate both as marginal places to pass). All part of racing in these events though.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
There were less riders in the 100 I think.

There were some 150+ riders in the 50km that were held up in excess of 20 minutes at the main river crossing. Some claimed they waited over 30 minutes before their turn to cross.

Newton

Likes Dirt
They would have been the back half of the second group and the 3rd group, I managed to get to the front of the second group and rode all the way to waters edge before crossing the creek with 3 other guys :clap2:

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
They would have been the back half of the second group and the 3rd group,:
Doesn't matter where they were. They still got held up because of poor planning. I'm sure some of thsoe people would have been trying to get PB's, keep up with others ahead etc.

The race org was great with this as an exception. Wave starts. Easy fixed.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Some claimed they waited over 30 minutes before their turn to cross.
30 mins? Serious? I spoke to a back maker in the 50 and they certainly didn't wait more then a few mins...

The river crossing is at about the 15km mark? The field is pretty spread by then. I can't believe 30 min wait time...sounds like someone is exaggerating a bit.....

frensham

Likes Dirt
There were less riders in the 100 I think.

There were some 150+ riders in the 50km that were held up in excess of 20 minutes at the main river crossing. Some claimed they waited over 30 minutes before their turn to cross.
This is probably the only aspect of the ride I have issues with. There needs to be a marshal at the creek crossing guiding up to three people across at a time. We riders are too polite and we all lined up single file when clearly at least two and perhaps three people could cross at the same time. Having a marshall call people through would speed things up a bit. Another marshall on the other side calling riders up the slope would be useful too as too many riders tried to get back on their bikes too early instead of running/walking until there was a clear area to move off to the side whilst getting back on.

sean_23

Likes Bikes
Doesn't matter where they were. They still got held up because of poor planning. I'm sure some of thsoe people would have been trying to get PB's.
Maybe Huw should set up appointment times at each water crossing, so people wouldn't all rush to get there and get stuck in a queue. It could also work for the finishing line, just pre-book the time you wish to cross to avoid annoying delays.

Or else... if you're racing competitively you're unlikely to get held up because you're not in the big bunch. If you're in the big bunch you're not really competitive, so chill and enjoy the company of the friendly mtbers you're stuck in line with. If waiting bothers you, adjust your strategy for next year to avoid the bunch. Or be one of those rude buggers we all love to hate and blast past the queue and cross anyway... are we all just being too polite? The bottom line is, if you are held up it's because of your own poor planning, not the race organisers.

I reckon the mass start of the Fling is one of the great spectacles of mtbing, like the Le Mans start of the Scott 24, and it would be a shame to lose it because of some perceived OH&S reason, or because people don't like waiting at a creek 15kms down the track.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Maybe Huw should set up appointment times at each water crossing, so people wouldn't all rush to get there and get stuck in a queue. It could also work for the finishing line, just pre-book the time you wish to cross to avoid annoying delays.

Or else... if you're racing competitively you're unlikely to get held up because you're not in the big bunch. If you're in the big bunch you're not really competitive, so chill and enjoy the company of the friendly mtbers you're stuck in line with. If waiting bothers you, adjust your strategy for next year to avoid the bunch. Or be one of those rude buggers we all love to hate and blast past the queue and cross anyway... are we all just being too polite? The bottom line is, if you are held up it's because of your own poor planning, not the race organisers.
nicely said :)

I reckon the mass start of the Fling is one of the great spectacles of mtbing, like the Le Mans start of the Scott 24, and it would be a shame to lose it because of some perceived OH&S reason, or because people don't like waiting at a creek 15kms down the track.
Agreed. Slightly off topic, its interesting to see people "self seed" - there appeared to be alot more people in the 4-6 hour "area" compared to those who actually achieved this :p

We placed ourselves at the back of this group - we finished in 6:04 so I reckon we self seeded pretty correctly. I think some others were a bit optimistic!

30 mins? Serious? I spoke to a back maker in the 50 and they certainly didn't wait more then a few mins...

The river crossing is at about the 15km mark? The field is pretty spread by then. I can't believe 30 min wait time...sounds like someone is exaggerating a bit.....
I crossed and I could see the whole tail of the 50 waiting behind me so I was definitely right at the back at that point and it was certainly more than a few minutes. 20 is closer to the mark but I dont think more than that.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt

Hang on a second. This is a pretty disrespectful attitude to have. "If you're in a big bunch you're not really competitive". People enter these races/events with all sorts of different motivations, backgrounds and reasons. It is not your call to judge whether they are entitled to have an equal opportunity to perform to the best of their ability or not.

If we are going to start drawing lines as to who is competitive or not, all you try hard wanna be pro age groupers can get stuffed. Only the elite deserve a good crack at the course. Or wait a minute, perhpas we rule the line across everyone, because lets get real, if you truly were elite then you'd be overseas anyway and wouldn't be worrying about these races.

Where is the line drawn between peoples races that matter, and people who are just there to "chill and enjoy the company of friends". Is it based on a time? Should it be the same time for females and males, thus ensuring that none of the bloody slow female pro's that get caught up with a bunch of male age groupers count.

Consideration and giving everyone a fair go sounds like a better idea.

I know 50+ year olds who are super motivated to beat times, goals, last year, such and such etc.... despite being relatively slow compared to other competitors. It's not our decision as to what an individual considers important to them.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Hang on a second. This is a pretty disrespectful attitude to have. "If you're in a big bunch you're not really competitive". People enter these races/events with all sorts of different motivations, backgrounds and reasons. It is not your call to judge whether they are entitled to have an equal opportunity to perform to the best of their ability or not.

If we are going to start drawing lines as to who is competitive or not, all you try hard wanna be pro age groupers can get stuffed. Only the elite deserve a good crack at the course. Or wait a minute, perhpas we rule the line across everyone, because lets get real, if you truly were elite then you'd be overseas anyway and wouldn't be worrying about these races.

Where is the line drawn between peoples races that matter, and people who are just there to "chill and enjoy the company of friends". Is it based on a time? Should it be the same time for females and males, thus ensuring that none of the bloody slow female pro's that get caught up with a bunch of male age groupers count.

I know 50+ year olds who are super motivated to beat times, goals, last year, such and such etc.... despite being relatively slow compared to other competitors. It's not our decision as to what an individual considers important to them.
Couldn't agree more. Very well said.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I counted 20 minutes on the bike computer at that crossing as well - and, by the time i actually did cross, the tail was longer than when I had started to queue. There were two people crossing at a time when i went across..

sean_23

Likes Bikes

I don't think I said people's goals don't matter, and don't quite get the anger really. I've waited in line plenty of times myself, am virtually one of those 50 year olds, and am only ever in it for my own goals. I'm always considerate of other riders on the track and give everyone a fair go :)

But a dose of reality... if you're in a group ride of 2000 people you're going to be affected by traffic at some point. There is no "line" being drawn by anyone, or "decision" taken by anyone, it's up to individual riders on how they approach the course - go hard early to try and get in front of the traffic; or pace yourself, accept a delay at the water crossing, and have more energy later in the race.

Personally I wouldn't want the "super motivated 50 year olds" (are they "try hard wanna be pro age groupers"?) to have to start 1 hour after everyone else to ensure they had no traffic at any point. Or 1 hour in front of everyone else? Then they'd be in other people's way... how does that all work? In the Fling the Elites actually get a harder time of it than everyone else as they start with the half Fling and have to ride through the whole full Fling bunch.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, waiting in a queue when you're meant to be racing sucks, but it's part of the event. One bottle neck on the trail didn't ruin the whole event for me and many others, it's a part of this style of event. If you haven't done this type of event before maybe its a bit frustrating, but as said earlier, 2000 riders on a course will cause some issues somewhere.

A couple of years ago the walk through the single track near the beginning was annoying but the track has improved to reduce this (that section now near the end). This year was also improved with waves for start times using the same track as last year. A reasonable amount of firetrail to start allows the field to thin considerably.

Hopefully the organisers (who do a great job) can take on some feedback and make it better again next year.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
This is probably the only aspect of the ride I have issues with. There needs to be a marshal at the creek crossing guiding up to three people across at a time. We riders are too polite and we all lined up single file when clearly at least two and perhaps three people could cross at the same time. Having a marshall call people through would speed things up a bit. Another marshall on the other side calling riders up the slope would be useful too as too many riders tried to get back on their bikes too early instead of running/walking until there was a clear area to move off to the side whilst getting back on.
It's hardly necessary - don't blame the organisers, blame the people who weren't crossing when they "should" have.
I got caught in it last year too (in the half riding with a newby) and it was a toe-tapping time I agree. But I don't think a marshal's required to tell people to get their hustle on during a race. :)

Slightly off topic, its interesting to see people "self seed" - there appeared to be alot more people in the 4-6 hour "area" compared to those who actually achieved this :p

We placed ourselves at the back of this group - we finished in 6:04 so I reckon we self seeded pretty correctly. I think some others were a bit optimistic!
Yep same old same old haha. I stuck myself at the front of the 6-7hrs sign (finished in 6:15 so it was correct) and was constantly being made to move to let people through for the next ten minutes before the start as they shuffled way too far forward. Oh well, the wide open roads for the first 30k made it a non-issue :)

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
It's hardly necessary - don't blame the organisers, blame the people who weren't crossing when they "should" have.
I got caught in it last year too (in the half riding with a newby) and it was a toe-tapping time I agree. But I don't think a marshal's required to tell people to get their hustle on during a race.
Please don't put words into my mouth. I am not blaming the organisers for anything! I am simply making a suggestion based on previous posts. Personally I don't give a shit how long it takes me to cross the creek, it is more that I have issues with something that seems to bother lots of people and my suggestion might alleviate the wait just a little bit. There was a lot of cat calling when one rider decided that, yes!, two riders could cross at once and he appeared to jump the queue. A marshall telling riders to form two lines would alleviate this problem and speed things up for everyone. The marshall would only need to be there for an hour or so at the max.