Herniated Discs - Log

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Yeah Lyrica was rough - took it for a while a few years back to get the neck to a manageable level (took quite some time) and then cortisone into the spine, was a really unfun drug.

ausdb

Being who he is
I have prolapsed discs at L4-L5, L5-S1 and had a micro discectomy on one of them 10 years ago as I couldn't walk properly but funnily enough can't remember which one it was now. About 5 years ago, I started getting what I thought were RSI symptoms that turned into constant tingling and burning in my arms, that turned out to be degeneration in two cervical discs. I'm not saying I'm not a great exponent of Lyrica but it has it's place. I was on it for a while and managed to put off a neck fusion for now, but it does seriously fuck you up.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Had a mate who basically had a finger ripped off, and was put on Lyrica. It really fucked him up for about six months.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I ruptured my L3/L4 in about 2016, I think

Kept working through the pain for 6 months until I physically couldn't get out of bed. Got shuffled off to the physio, he took one look and said, that's fucked, I'm not touching that.

Pretty quickly through surgery, because the nerve damage had got so bad, they thought I was going to lose my right leg.

Have recovered OK, but the debilitation of surgery accelerated some other aspects of aging, which is a bit of a bummer.

The biggest drama through the whole thing has been Lyrica. That crap has permanently damaged me, and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Some are lucky and have no major ill effects, many others get all sorts of drama. Pfizer can eat the biggest bag of dicks available for forcing that on the market, knowing full well the damage it causes.
I was never was pushed down the medication route by any GP but I did have a mate that was on Lyrica for a very long time and he had quite a few side affects from it. I don't like having pain medication in general unless really necessary, I just don't like covering up an injury that I may make worse by not knowing how bad it really is.
I do really need to get into to doing some sort of core strength exercise regime going again as I think that will help things a lot.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I was never was pushed down the medication route by any GP but I did have a mate that was on Lyrica for a very long time and he had quite a few side affects from it. I don't like having pain medication in general unless really necessary, I just don't like covering up an injury that I may make worse by not knowing how bad it really is.
I do really need to get into to doing some sort of core strength exercise regime going again as I think that will help things a lot.
Core exercises are the best for fixing back issues. Add in hip flexors and back, and you are on your way to never having issues again.

Exercise in general, is the best pain medication. The more time we spend sedentary, the more pain we will have, and the more degenerative issues we will have.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Fuck this thread man. Will revisit when my back eventually cracks it but right now it's scaring the crap out of me. Best of luck with your woes folks!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Core exercises are the best for fixing back issues. Add in hip flexors and back, and you are on your way to never having issues again.

Exercise in general, is the best pain medication. The more time we spend sedentary, the more pain we will have, and the more degenerative issues we will have.
Quoting incase somebody missed it. 100% my experience too.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I was in my mid 20s and fairly fit+strong+flexible when it happened to me...
Yep, mine was first in my mid 20's. Still managed 3 association best and fairest's, and about half a dozen flags................ until my knees clapped out

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I popped a disc and had a vertebrae move in my lower back when I was in my late teens. I was a boilermaker back then and assumed a sore back was just part of the job. I have had two hernia's repaired and also just assumed after some time that my lack of core strength was the cause of the back problems and hernia issues. In 2013 I had a large crash and shattered my collarbone. I also got whiplash and called on a favor from a chiropractor in town that I knew threw bike riding. We did the X rays, he pointed out that my lower back was misaligned and my body structure had grown around it to keep it out of place. We've spent all the years since that day realigning my back and gradually relieving the pain through that practice and through correct stretching and exercises. It's worth noting I'm very flexible. I'm 6 foot 4" and can put my forearms over my toes when stretching. That part of this yearn is extremely intel. One Friday night watching a movie at home, my Chiropractor sent me an old diagram showing certain stretches that people with certain lower lumbar pain SHOULDN'T do. I sat upright, paused the movie and stared hard at it contemplating the past 20 years and realized that the stretches I was doing three times daily plus before & after sport were the exact things on this diagram that I should avoid. I couldn't believe it, this was the breakthrough I was hoping for. A few years later, I'm 41 now and have not performed one of those stretches since that day. My lower back pain is 90% gone, I have only gone to the chiropractor for my three-monthly check up and have built great strength elsewhere to support my chassis. I'm astounded, grateful, humbled and so thankful that I found that info through good practice. Basically, I was opening the gaps between my vertebrae and exposing the squishy bits to torment and stress. Since not doing it, it's only fatigue that brings some slight pain on.
Dunno if that can help anyone but it's meant the world to me and given me some youth back.
Back pain is fucked, I assumed I had it for life so don't give up on trying to beat it folks, it can happen. Hope it works out for you lads & ladettes. ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I popped a disc and had a vertebrae move in my lower back when I was in my late teens. I was a boilermaker back then and assumed a sore back was just part of the job. I have had two hernia's repaired and also just assumed after some time that my lack of core strength was the cause of the back problems and hernia issues. In 2013 I had a large crash and shattered my collarbone. I also got whiplash and called on a favor from a chiropractor in town that I knew threw bike riding. We did the X rays, he pointed out that my lower back was misaligned and my body structure had grown around it to keep it out of place. We've spent all the years since that day realigning my back and gradually relieving the pain through that practice and through correct stretching and exercises. It's worth noting I'm very flexible. I'm 6 foot 4" and can put my forearms over my toes when stretching. That part of this yearn is extremely intel. One Friday night watching a movie at home, my Chiropractor sent me an old diagram showing certain stretches that people with certain lower lumbar pain SHOULDN'T do. I sat upright, paused the movie and stared hard at it contemplating the past 20 years and realized that the stretches I was doing three times daily plus before & after sport were the exact things on this diagram that I should avoid. I couldn't believe it, this was the breakthrough I was hoping for. A few years later, I'm 41 now and have not performed one of those stretches since that day. My lower back pain is 90% gone, I have only gone to the chiropractor for my three-monthly check up and have built great strength elsewhere to support my chassis. I'm astounded, grateful, humbled and so thankful that I found that info through good practice. Basically, I was opening the gaps between my vertebrae and exposing the squishy bits to torment and stress. Since not doing it, it's only fatigue that brings some slight pain on.
Dunno if that can help anyone but it's meant the world to me and given me some youth back.
Back pain is fucked, I assumed I had it for life so don't give up on trying to beat it folks, it can happen. Hope it works out for you lads & ladettes. ;)
Any chance you could share the things you should and shouldn't do?