Help me spend my money

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sup farkinators

I need some help picking a spec list for my new project. Basically im going to be doing tech singletrack (menia mostly, across from ansto for sydney folks), and thinking a single speed hardtail is in order.

BUT, im a BMX bandit at heart and XC stuff goes completely over my head, even though I work in a bike store i really don't know much about different brands etc, just how to fix it when it all goes pear shaped.

Here is the spec list I've got going at the moment

Frame: Charge duster large
Fork: Rockshox reba team duel airs 100mm OR 120mm
Brakes: Shimano XT, OR avid elixir R........... Leaning towards shimano because I find them easyer to set up.
Cranks: Shimano XT 175mm
Pedals: Shimano or Time
BB: shimano
Stem: Sunline AM 60mm
Headset: ????
Bars: ?????
Seat: ????
Headset: Whatevers sealed and is lying round the store
Wheels: Don't really know wats going on here, though there is a novatec single speed hub laced to some rim at work, and we don't get many novatecs back.
Tyres: Larsen front, crossmark rear.

This is all from the distro's I know we deal with at work, so my product knowledge is very limited. haha

Basically I'm after a second opinion on things, products you think work, or what you think works better than what I've got listed.

Thanks

akashra

Eats Squid
How soon do you want to set this up? FWIW, SRAM announced their 2x10 X9 and X0, and Shimano announced their 3x10 XT and SLX today. This might be relevant if you want to wait for better gear.

Ultra Lord

How soon do you want to set this up? FWIW, SRAM announced their 2x10 X9 and X0, and Shimano announced their 3x10 XT and SLX today. This might be relevant if you want to wait for better gear.
Im building it up as I get the money basically, so it's gonna take awhile.

Im going single speed though, so the whole extra gear revolution doesn't effect me, I don't think.

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Hi there, what setup does the Charge Duster have for the rear wheel mount? if you have a mech hanger you might have to run a chain tensioner on it.
H.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I'll give the XT brakes a big tick. Awesome power and modulation. You can't go wrong with them.

XT cranks are also good but a little heavy as a triple setup but given you are going SS is not a major concern for you.

Ultra Lord

Sup rotorburners, thanks for the help.

Yea the duster has verticle dropouts, so I've resigned to using a chain tensioner, however a workmate has offered his old On One Inbred, which i think has horizontal dropouts, for a very nice price, so it looks like I'm going the cheaper option here!

Definately stoked to get this thing roling.

Thanks again for the help