Help me build a bike toolset list

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Because he is on a budget!!!! Would not be the first tool I would buy if I had no others
That's one of those "buy when you need it" tools. I survived for years on the "tweak it by eye until it behaves" approach, but it was nice to finally buy one. Dont use it much.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Most of the key stuff has already been said
@HamboCairns get Pedros Cassette pliers. I used to use chain whips and they were the fucking anti-christ.
cassette pliers are the way. no more hand injuries because the chain whip slipped or some BS like that.
you clamp on to the cassette with the pliers, and pop the cassette removal tool in, a bit of appropriate force, and off comes the cassette lockring.

This, I finally got a pair of cassette pliers & love them over the previous chain whips.

Also, if you happen to have RF Aeffect cranks, like I do, then make sure you invest in a big fucking torque wrench, like one for cars. 61Nm of torque to get those pricks on (and off) properly.

Torx set, in particular the T25, as has been mentioned is a particularly handy tool to have around and not that expensive.

Chain link pliers are one I value having around a lot too, saves a lot of swearing trying to undo a stubborn link or install a chain.

Some Isopropyl alcohol is also handy. I got it initially for shock servicing, but it can be very handy to install grips & spot cleaning, rotor cleaning, etc.

Aldi bike stands are also a steal if you wait till they're in. Not the flashest but they do the job and are cheap cheap cheap.

A pack of nitrile gloves, saves me riding into works with filthy hands after I've forgotten to fix something the previous afternoon, woken up and got in my bike gear, ready to go only to find out I didn't do the thing I needed to.

The other thing I've found really handy in the long term (although more investment up front) is workshop quantities of cable outer, brake mineral oil, grease & other fluids (for shocks). Always there when you need it and more economical in bulk.

Most of all though: Patience and resolve. Especially in the sight of bloodied fingers when they've been stuck in a spinning rotor.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Because he is on a budget!!!!
Yes, probably a expensive item when you are trying to do it on a budget but you are going to need one eventually.
Yes, acknowledged that already.

Kids are kings of falling over and regularly bend the cheap hangers that are supplied on bikes now.

I can't ride beside someone with a creaking bike or jumping gears. I like the people around me and my bikes to be working 100% and pure silent.

Enjoy nature... the serenity ! Not shit maintenance, creaky linkages, BB's and an unlubed chain squealing ;)

1 trip to the LBS because gears won't adjust/work correctly... fuel, time and cost of service will pay for the tool.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
@HamboCairns get Pedros Cassette pliers. I used to use chain whips and they were the fucking anti-christ.
cassette pliers are the way. no more hand injuries because the chain whip slipped or some BS like that.
you clamp on to the cassette with the pliers, and pop the cassette removal tool in, a bit of appropriate force, and off comes the cassette lockring.

There's a newer version out but I can't find it in Australia :(

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

where were you looking, out of interest?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it's more about technique. Wheels off with tyres on and wedged between you legs standing up. chain whip on and then a long handle for the casette tool (I use one with the 1/4" attachment). I also have a perdos and legit it's better though.
Yeah second that. Never had an issue.

brawlo

Squid
My 2c against the grain, buy a cheap set. It will get you started quickly and cheaply and you can expand from there. I still have and use a lot of my tools from my cheap Chinese SuberB set I bought 12 years ago when I started to wrench my own stuff. Replace tools that you use a lot and wear with good stuff from there. The one thing I have never actually used is the massive spanner tool that came in it. Everything else I have used at least once, even the cheap ass spoke tool. 12 years of wrenching on road, track and mountain bikes of my own, wife's and 2 daughters.

Also beware of bottom bracket tools! Try and borrow them if you can. The only one I've used more than a couple of times is the one that came in the cheap ass tool kit to remove my track bike bottom bracket. Every time I get a new road or MTB there's a new damn BB standard on it

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My 2c against the grain, buy a cheap set. It will get you started quickly and cheaply and you can expand from there. I still have and use a lot of my tools from my cheap Chinese SuberB set I bought 12 years ago when I started to wrench my own stuff. Replace tools that you use a lot and wear with good stuff from there.
My Super B chain link remover/installer is the business. These Super B chain whip pliers look good too.

https://www.pushys.com.au/super-b-chain-whip-pliers.html

Never used a hanger alignment tool, but a mate has one if I ever need it, and never had the chain whip slip, and I have a very old one. Still like the look of those pliers.

There's cheap crap and there's not overly expensive good stuff, I have Birzman cable cutters with the built in awl and they've been great. BBB torque wrench set is also great. Both brands make some nice kits.

stirk

Burner

That's sexy! I hate my chain whip with a passion.

Do not buy a cheap chain whip, they are made of cheese and bend when you take em out of the tool box.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Do you think is ok?

or this?

No Hammer?!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
That's sexy! I hate my chain whip with a passion.

Do not buy a cheap chain whip, they are made of cheese and bend when you take em out of the tool box.
I made mine from a piece of flat bar steel and an old chain..had to wrap a small length of cord around as a handle but good now

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
There's a lot to go through in this thread but my take is -

Start off with a budget tool set and upgrade the most used parts with quality versions.

Buy decent grease and oils (I have degreaser, Slickoleum, Spider Grease, Marine grease, but no assembly grease)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
There's a lot to go through in this thread but my take is -

Start off with a budget tool set and upgrade the most used parts with quality versions.

Buy decent grease and oils (I have degreaser, Slickoleum, Spider Grease, Marine grease, but no assembly grease)
and every bike workshop should smell of TriFlow...even if you don't use it or prefer a different product, you should squirt some of this into the work bench and flooring to give that authentic aroma