HELP!!!!!! engineering homework

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hey all, in dire need for some help for my engineering assignment.

If any body could tell me what the suspension rods in a washing machine are made of i would be eternally in your debt.

So please, help me with my homework. :eek:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
depends on the washing machine.

some are simple rubber filled dampers, others oil filled dampers?

so, possibly some more information on exactly what your looking for, might be able to help

s

Binaural

Eats Squid
The rods are almost certainly the resilient supports for the spinning apparatus - but this sort of vibration damping can be constructed from many materials. They prevent the shock and vibration from an unevenly-loaded clothes hopper from being transmitted to the floor and either pissing off your neighbours, creating a serious din, or else making the machine walk. Knowing this, I'd suggest you go and take the cover off your washing machine for a look, since there are many ways for engineers to construct such a thing.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Hey all, in dire need for some help for my engineering assignment.

If any body could tell me what the suspension rods in a washing machine are made of i would be eternally in your debt.

So please, help me with my homework. :eek:
It's been a long while since I did engineering, but I'm fairly certain they are made from old unmached socks.

Ultra Lord

Thanks Spanky Ham, the component is just a metal rod used to attach the bowl and gearbox to the chassis, basically suspending the whole lot in the air.

But then I'm not too shure what it is they actually are, I'm just going off some second rate video I just watched.

Yes I'm in class as we speak. (yr 11)

:edit
Thanks Binaural, that really clears things up for me. Problem is, I can't really get a look at a washing machine at the moment, if you could be so kind as to suggest some materials? I'm assuming many would use high tensile steel with a bit of nickel in them or possibly be galvanised, but nothing really gives a definite answer. I guess I'll just go through the pro's and con's of each etc.

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
:edit
Thanks Binaural, that really clears things up for me. Problem is, I can't really get a look at a washing machine at the moment, if you could be so kind as to suggest some materials? I'm assuming many would use high tensile steel with a bit of nickel in them or possibly be galvanised, but nothing really gives a definite answer. I guess I'll just go through the pro's and con's of each etc.
That'd be great as a support, but not so good on the vibration dampening.

I'll second spanky's suggestion. The rods I have seen are steel with an elastomer/spring damping system.

Ultra Lord

Cheers, I'll look into that. What about a metal rod with a polymer washer set up type thing? Kinda like what motor bike guys do to stop their handlebars vibrating.

Yer Mavah, chillin on farkin when you should be doing school work. You rebell.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
That'd be great as a support, but not so good on the vibration dampening.

I'll second spanky's suggestion. The rods I have seen are steel with an elastomer/spring damping system.
so basically there is a rock shox Judy TT in my washing machine? :eek:

W2ttsy