Help! Cassette lockring stuck!!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Reviving an old thread because I'm stuck too. What kind of lube should I leave on the lock ring overnight to eventually loosen it?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Reviving an old thread because I'm stuck too. What kind of lube should I leave on the lock ring overnight to eventually loosen it?
You got a chain whip?

The same solution I always recommend...pure brute force, wisely applied. Ok so not the hammer. Just load up the tools something like 2:45 and 9:45, then push down hard and constant with all that big hunk of man you're carrying around until it goes. You may want to get another chunk of man flesh and do it together. You may need to slip an old seat post on the end of each tool to extend them. But eventually you should outweigh the bolts stubbornness. With two of you you can pull or push away from each other. Watch out for awkward collisions.

I removed a SRAM crank for a friend a few days ago. The bolt advised spec to 50nm, which is a difficult amount of force to apply with a standard Allen key. I put the trusty old seat post extension on there and (I don't know why as this guy weighs maybe 50kg) got my buddy to put all his weight on the relevant pedal. He rose off the ground a little bit before the bolt have way! I suspect the shop may have just guessed what 50nm is. Anyway it was the constant force of him on the pedal and me on the tool both just pushing down until it popped. No jerking or bouncing or hammering or trying to force it. Just heavy constant pressure.

Or get out the hammer and bash that tight fucker off!!!

HamboCairns

You got a chain whip?

The same solution I always recommend...pure brute force, wisely applied. Ok so not the hammer. Just load up the tools something like 2:45 and 9:45, then push down hard and constant with all that big hunk of man you're carrying around until it goes. You may want to get another chunk of man flesh and do it together. You may need to slip an old seat post on the end of each tool to extend them. But eventually you should outweigh the bolts stubbornness. With two of you you can pull or push away from each other. Watch out for awkward collisions.

I removed a SRAM crank for a friend a few days ago. The bolt advised spec to 50nm, which is a difficult amount of force to apply with a standard Allen key. I put the trusty old seat post extension on there and (I don't know why as this guy weighs maybe 50kg) got my buddy to put all his weight on the relevant pedal. He rose off the ground a little bit before the bolt have way! I suspect the shop may have just guessed what 50nm is. Anyway it was the constant force of him on the pedal and me on the tool both just pushing down until it popped. No jerking or bouncing or hammering or trying to force it. Just heavy constant pressure.

Or get out the hammer and bash that tight fucker off!!!
Yeah I have the right tools, I even slipped a seat post over an adjustable spanner but still no joy! Towels over the chain whip tool too (which annoyingly has a spanner tool at the end of it!).

I don't have a second person to help me at the moment but I can try that.

So any thoughts on something I can use to soak in beforehand?

ausdb

Being who he is
I have one of these -

A chain whip and an adjustable spanner.
The best ones are like that but have a 1/2" square drive socket recess in the end. A 18“ breaker bar and decent chain whip is usually enough to show it who's boss.

HamboCairns

Might have to ask if someone has a breaker bar handy, it absolutely won't budge.

Well that project's going on the back burner, time to replace a shifter on the Ragley!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If you were local I have a couple of tricks.

1- be stronger. Just manhandle that shit into submission

2- use an impact gun. I've got a massive 1/2 drive DeWalt impact gun meant for wheel nuts. Have used this on stubborn lockrings that have broken chain whips and has worked in seconds.

3- heat it up. Only once have I had to resort to this, but if the impact gun fails to move it, a butane torch + impact gun will surely sort it out

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
its not actually the tightness of the thread holding it, its the slightly raised locking knurls that hold the lockring good and tight...helps to stop it coming loose with trail chatter.
MOAR HAMMER!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
2- use an impact gun. I've got a massive 1/2 drive DeWalt impact gun meant for wheel nuts. Have used this on stubborn lockrings that have broken chain whips and has worked in seconds.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
You fucking monster! Go to the naughty corner.

I have one of these -

A chain whip and an adjustable spanner.
As I thought...you don't have the right tool. Personal perspective, but there is too much chance of your shifter slipping off that under the type of pressure you need to make this work for me to do it, but...life's too short not to go big.

400mm seat post is all the breaker bar you need.

If you don't have a vice (a vice is great) you can wedge the pipe extension that you put on your chain whip handle against something heavy and immovable or even your foot and the floor. Then you need to invert the wheel so that as you pull the lock nut tool towards yourself it forces the chain whip into the floor (probably don't do this on your beautiful polished floor boards). 2 hands on the tool and heave!